What is this "Solfege" thing you keep talking about?
  • WJA
    This string reminded me of a question that has puzzled me for some time: when people talk about the importance of solfege, what exactly do they mean?

I know how to sing my "do-re-mi," I know that "do" can be any pitch A-G (it can, right?), and that the "C" clef is "do" and the "F" clef is "fa." Armed with this knowledge, I can sing a chant in a variety of pitches and pick out a tune whistling or humming or on a keyboard.

But it seems to me all this talk about solfege is indicating something much more significant and helpful than what I've described above. I feel as though I'm missing something very big and important. So, er, what is it?

WJA
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Dear WJA,

I don't know if this will answer your question, but you might enjoy this school of intervals I built for a school project. My high schoolers enjoy it.
  • G
    "I can sing a chant in a variety of pitches and pick out a tune"

It is not just picking out the tune, but singing the pitches giving them their names as you sing them.
    F'rinstance:
    "Mi mi fa me re sol sol ti do do"

Come to the Chant Intensive, sit next to me and you'll feel highly skilled (I STINK at solfege,) or sit next to someone good and your skills will improve.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • All of western music is built upon a progression of fourths.

C D E F
    Do Re Me Fa

The distance between these four notes is:

C wide D wide E narrow F

It starts over again with another fourth:

G A B C
    So La Ti Do

G wide A wide B wide C

These 8 intervals are laid out up and down the keyboard.

Unlike PI, the distance of the intervals is possible to calculate. It was done so 200 BC.

DO that floats is useful to teach chant, as it makes it easier to get people off the tonal idea that everything starts on DO or SO...or sometimes MI and melodies are written around those intervals, and opens up their ears to melodies that start and end on RE....or FA.

Fixed DO means that C is ALWAYS DO.

So polyphonic works like the Gasparini Adoramus Te which finds chords changing using naturals and flats is easier to sing if the choir knows FIXED DO.

Most don't.
  • mjballoumjballou
    Why bother with all these syllables for chant if you're a red-blooded American and Latin is more than enough trouble? (Europeans use these as note names.) My personal take is that singing with the syllables eventually creates an association in the brain between the syllables and related intervals. E.g., I will always sing a major third for doh-mi or fa-la.

That's my justification for tormenting myself.
  • Unfortunately,

Do Re Mi Fa So La are Latin.
  • JDE
    Isn't it actually UT re mi fa SOL la si (or ti) UT?

They still use "Ut" in France. And that makes sense -- after all, it's UT queant laxis, not "DO" queant laxis.

And in Germany, they don't really use the solfege syllables unless they're doing solfege; it's the French and Italians who refer to the notes by the solfege names. In Germany they use all the normal letters A through G, plus H -- B Natural. This is done because (it is thought) the natural sign looks kind of like a little "h," and you more often see B flat than B, at least if it's a major key. So in Germany, B = B flat and H = B natural.
  • francis
    The names are not too critical as much as knowing (instantaneously) the intervals they represent. Think of it this way:

Do - Re : major 2nd
    Do - Mi : major 3rd
    Do - Fa: perfect 4th ...and so on.

Re - Mi : major 2nd
    Re - Fa : minor 3rd
    Re - Sol : perfect 4th ...and so on.

Mi - Fa : minor 2nd
    Mi - Sol : minor 3rd
    Mi - La : perfect 4th ...and so on.

If you can identify moveable Do in your mind at the outset of the chant and keep it there, then it becomes the note upon which you pivot or rotate around as you sing (a tonal reference or key center)(for the most part)
  • Corrected, thanks.

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege
  • CharlesW
    That is correct that it is the intervals that are important, not the names. I use 1,2 3,4 rather than do re mi fa. When I was in college they were teaching numbers rather than names.
  • Charles,

I've always wondered, when using the numbers, is there a way to denote accidentals outside of the basic scale?
  • JDE
    FNJ, sorry! I was being somewhat facetious. You can't tell when it's only in writing.

Aren't the numbers derived from the Ward method?

Also, Jeff O., I loved your interval trainer. For my part, I use Born Free to teach the descending 4th. At least I used to . . . nobody younger than about 45 even remembers that song.
  • francis
    Do Sol, Sol La Sol Fa Mi... Do! I remember that song, Yurodivi!

How about this impossible melody!

Mi Sol.... Fa Mi Sol Fa Mi Sol....
    Sol La... Sol Fa La Sol Fa La....
    La Ti... Mi Fa Sol La Mi Do Fa...
    Sol La... Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti...!
  • The numbers vs. solfege is a routine battle around here. My husband and I learned numbers in music school. I still use numbers when learning more modern rep. But when it comes to chant, my brain prefers solfege.

Does anyone have strong feelings on which is better- and why?
  • chonakchonak
    Maybe I'm still affected by the First of April, but it just struck me that Solfege could be the name of a prescription medication. "Do jangling notes leave you feeling flat? Solfege may be able to help. Ask your MD if Solfege might be right for you."

:-)
  • lol
  • AOZ
    Ok, Yurodivi. I'll see your "Born Free" (...as free as the wind blows...), and up you with the ascending fourth: "A white sport coat,..."
  • CharlesW
    "Charles,

I've always wondered, when using the numbers, is there a way to denote accidentals outside of the basic scale?"

I was taught to sing, for example, flat 3, sharp 2, etc. when accidentals occurred.
  • Cool! well, sharp cool.
  • cre
    Thanks, Jeff O. for the fantastic and entertaining Interval trainer modules. As a chant schola member with no formal music training, it is really helpful. I shall tell my fellow chanters about it. God bless you for all the work you do here!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Friends,

HERE is the absolute best way to learn Solfège.
  • WJA
    Let me second or third the thanks to Mr. Ostrowski for the interval trainer modules. I too found them very helpful.

WJA
  • miacoyne
    Thanks Jeffrey for the interval modules. I know a couple of website for music theory, but didn't find much solfege training. Does anyone know a solfege training website that you can recommand, especially one that has solfeges based on modes?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Wow: thanks everyone for the great response to my little modules.

Someday, I'd like to really expand on what I have done, since so many nice comments are coming in!

miacoyne, as someone with a degree in music theory, I can only tell you that I think the world DESPERATELY needs ear training CD's. Actually, someday I would love to provide these. Because remember: you can't practice ear training by yourself! In college, I learned "harmonic singing," and this is a wonderful method I would love to share with the world, via YouTube or Mp3 downloads.
  • miacoyne
    That would be wonderful. Looking forward to it. Thanks
  • I prefer numbers to solfege for the following reasons:

1) Numbers are part of a student's vocabulary at ANY POINT prior to studying music. Solfege requires taking precious learning time to teach new material. This time can be better used to teach other musical concepts.

2) Numbers are part of familiar culture. Solfege was adapted from the Gregorian hymn, "Ut Queant Laxis" by Guido d' Arezzo. Guido's idea was great for his era; however, "Ut Queant Laxis" is no longer part of most anyone's culture at this point in history.

3) Numbers INSTANTLY indicate "high" and "low" pitches. Solfege only does this after the system is learned.

4) Numbers are used in identifying intervals (major third, perfect fifth, et, al.), and roman numeral chord symbols (I, IV, vi, et. al.) so they can be integrated with a study of music theory. Solfege does not lend itself to integration with any other musical learning.
  • However, singing numbers does not improve the vocal tone that the open vowels of Solfeggio can.
  • DougS
    "Solfege does not lend itself to integration with any other musical learning."

Actually, solfege reinforces the learning of functional harmony. I would find it difficult to teach more advanced concepts such as secondary dominants without solfege. With numbers you are stuck with the awkward "sharp 4," or else simply "4," in which case you lose the concept of harmonic function. From here it is easy to move into modulation: "The fi becomes ti," etc. as a supplement to "V becomes I."

Understanding functional harmony greatly facilitates one's ability to sight read tonal music. When I sight read vocal music (I am primarily a violist), I don't see pitches, solfege syllables, or anything "denotative" at all; I see functions. YMMV.
  • Dittos to Doug. +1
  • AngelaRAngelaR
    As someone without extensive musical training in a formal setting, but one who teaches Gregorian chant, and also teaches music according to the Ward Method, I find solfege very helpful for indicating intervals. Mi-fa and ti-do are instinctively half steps to me. After drilling myself in the use of solfege for awhile, I now know instinctively what an interval will sound like from re to fa, or do to sol, etc.

Side note: Justine Ward devised a sight-reading system that employs numbers to look at (so one can see the intrinsic progression of intervals and steps), but vocalizes in solfege. I look at "1", and I sing "do". Her charts place "3" and "4" closer together, and "7" and "1" closer together than the rest of the numbers. My students got so excited when they discovered the reason for that!
  • I prefer numbers to solfege for the following reasons:

1) Numbers are part of a student's vocabulary at ANY POINT prior to studying music. Solfege requires taking precious learning time to teach new material. This time can be better used to teach other musical concepts.

2) Numbers are part of familiar culture. Solfege was adapted from the Gregorian hymn, "Ut Queant Laxis" by Guido d' Arezzo. Guido's idea was great for his era; however, "Ut Queant Laxis" is no longer part of most anyone's culture at this point in history.

3) Numbers INSTANTLY indicate "high" and "low" pitches. Solfege only does this after the system is learned.

4) Numbers are used in identifying intervals (major third, perfect fifth, et, al.), and roman numeral chord symbols (I, IV, vi, et. al.) so they can be integrated with a study of music theory. Solfege does not lend itself to integration with any other musical learning.

1) Solfège syllables don't require taking precious learning time to teach new material. It was invented for the sole purpose of teaching singers their notes. All singers who read music should use solfège. I'm sure everyone and their mother has heard "Do-Re-Mi" from the musical, The Sound of Music.
    2) Modern musical notation was also taken from Guido's chant notation, just like how solfège was. If reading modern musical notation is part of your culture, then it would make logical sense to know solfège, too.
    3) Solfège syllables indicate precise scale degrees - numbers don't. That's a lot more helpful than just knowing "high or low" and well worth taking the time to learn.
    4) Solfège syllables identify intervals in more detail than numbers since you have to alter the syllables when a scale degree is altered. Numbers can't do this. Relating solfège syllables to chord symbols is just as easy as knowing which scale degrees are in the chords.
  • CharlesW
    The most significant thing about dear old Guido these days, is that he is quite dead, and will remain so. Although those syllables were created for another language, they can still be useful. I prefer numbers, but learned both. Switching between the two is not difficult. It isn't an either/or situation.
  • +1 (I love Liam's system of commentary)
  • It isn't an either/or situation.

Depends on your philosophy of music education.

Another problem with numbers is that some people use "8" to indicate the octave from "1". It's a problem because there is no scale degree "8" in major or minor. If you use "8", do you use "9", "10", etc? What about scale degrees lower than "1". Do you use "-1", "-2", etc. Solfège syllables erase this problem. They naturally lend themselves to scale degrees in a musical way.
  • IanWIanW
    Integers are of their nature an ordered series; words used to denote degrees are only so by convention. Integers are not only useful for expressing degrees, but the intevals which are an inherent property of the series.
  • CharlesW
    I think you have to have a good grounding in music, and understand intervals, to begin with. Otherwise, no system will make much sense. If the educational background is present, you could sing intervals to planet names, or anything else, for that matter.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    This is getting a little theoretical here...has anyone used both systems? Which worked better?
    I find that I'm using several strategies at once while sight-singing: knowing where I am in the scale (which is more like numbers than syllables, but doesn't get experienced as either), singing intervals, tonic memory, vocal feel. I don't do well when transposing unless I actually transpose mentally (and oddly, chant notation doesn't do that to me...I don't experience the note on the C-clef line as any kind of C). So I'm not at all sure where I would start a pedagogy.

But one thing hasn't been mentioned about numbers: mathematically, the distance between each integer is the same. It is rational to expect the distance between 2 and 3 to be the same as that between 3 and 4, and of course it isn't so musically. Exactly because the syllables are arbitrary, there is no such expectation. Staff notation presents the same problem, which is why it's so necessary to associate it with the piano keyboard, so students can see there's no black key there.
  • CharlesW
    I think you just learn there is a difference between 3 and 4. As one of my professors said many years ago in sight singing, "Do what works best for you."
  • Well, integers (better term, thanks Ian) ruled in the Calif. State and University system back in the 70's through 80's, as I recall. However, once you take a few courses in Kodaly, solfeggio isn't a stretch except for accidentals with me personally.
    But, I've benefited the most in terms of learning the many aspects of intervallic relationships due to that wonderful Scandinavian method of Modus Novus, which simply and systematically trained the ear and voice to hear the interval between any two notes and reproduce it correctly, no matter how it was notated.
  • Integers are of their nature an ordered series; words used to denote degrees are only so by convention. Integers are not only useful for expressing degrees, but the intevals which are an inherent property of the series.

So, you simply learn "Do = 1", "Re = 2", etc, because singing "7" is not singable; the vowels are hard to tune. You're also not going to sing "flat-6", "flat-7", etc, which is why "Le", "Te", etc. were invented. Syllables are simply better for singing.

If the educational background is present, you could sing intervals to planet names, or anything else, for that matter.

Solfège syllables are still better.

For numbers, though, I do think Robert Shaw's "count-singing" is a valuable rehearsal technique, but that's not the same as numerical sight-singing.

The Kodály Method is great, too.
  • francis
    solfege is for singing... and it is a prayer besides

solfege--a system for singing invented by Guido d'Arezzo in the 11th Century. To teach singers pitches in the modes, he taught them a hymn in honor of John the Baptist, sung in Latin, of course:

UT queant laxis
    REsonare fibris
    MIra gestorum
    FAmuli tu orum
    SOLve polluti
    LAbii reatum
    Sancte Johannes

The capital letters in this prayer became the basis for the syllables of the solfege system of "do, re, mi, etc." Of course, we now say "do" for "ut" and use "ti" instead of "si."

The hymn translates to "That thy servants may freely proclaim the wonders of thy deeds, absolve the sins of their unclean lips, o Holy John."

This system of associating a pitch with a syllable has resulted in a method for sight signing still used today.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I grew up with numbers. (Aware of solfege, but didn't use it, cause my choir teacher liked holding up fingers instead of Kodaly-style hand signs).
    Almost dropped out of my music major because of sight reading / ear training class.

Noticed students who were good at sight singing used solfege.
    Practiced solfege instead of numbers. Got better at sight reading music.
    Used solfege when teaching elementary school. Got better at sight reading.
    Practiced solfege with CMAA in Houston. Got even better at sight reading.

Numbers have a lot of weaknesses (polysyllabic accidentals, no major/minor differentiation, no half-step differentiation).
    The biggest weakness is probably: they don't teach you how to sight sing.
    (I'm living proof).
  • IanWIanW
    Actually, I learned integers as a young student of piano, not singing - the musicianship syllabus of the ABRSM (a UK instrumental exam body) included identifying and singing intervals by number. This was reinforced by music 'O' and 'A' levels (more academically-oriented exams for 16 and 18 year-olds), which demanded more of the same, including chromatically altered intervals. By then I was singing in choirs, and so learned to sight-sing on that basis. I can't say for sure it would have been different if I'd been taught Solfege and am sure the key thing is practice, whatever system is used, but the inherently ordered numbering system combined with a practical knowledge of how it maps onto what I hear seems to me a solution whose structure looks more like that of the problem, which is usually to be desired (but perhaps that's the programmer in me speaking).

In this respect it's interesting that Solfege is derived, as others have pointed out, from an aid to singing chant. Chant intervals are usually step-wise, and when they're not they tend to simple intervals of 3, 4 or 5. Perhaps use of Solfege for other melodic patterns tests the boundaries of its usefulness. Then again, chant is monophonic, so it's not surprising that Solfege tends to be abandoned once discussion extends to harmony and counterpoint.

Using the integers doesn't help with vowel formation, but why should it? Distinct vowel-based exercises can address that need more efficiently.
  • CharlesW
    I agree, IanW. When I was in college we learned both systems. I have no difficulty with either of them, and they both work. Solfege is merely another system for learning intervals, there's nothing holy or sacred about it.
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Jeffrey "This is getting a little theoretical here...has anyone used both systems? Which worked better?" Well at Sacred Heart Dr. Prowse uses numbers but I teach the men do-re-mi. No great battles are fought over our differences in this regard, he smiles indulgently and go I my merry solfeggio way. However, last year I set in on one of his schola rehearsals. He was sight singing a chant and lo and behold when he got stumped he switched to solfeggio! Ah...vindication.

In high school our choir director had us sing a little solfege exercise every day (choir rehearsal 5 days a week for 2 hours) I still use it to this day 40 years later. In college, Loyola U. in New Orleans we were taught numbers but when they finally got me to my sight singing barrier (appropriate name) they let me use solfeggio.

What I have found with the seminarians who have the most problems keeping or even matching pitch is how beneficial solfege syllables can be. It gives them "training wheels" so to speak and many of them find that they can actually learn how to sing.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I taught ear-training in my earlier days, but can't say that I was good at it. And I may well be in a situation to do so again. So any and all ideas are potentially useful, because it was a long time ago for me, and comparatively easy.

But this I know: if our choirs don't learn to sight-sing, one way or another, we'd might as well turn out the lights here. There is no way we can do the music we want to do, in the time we have to do it, without literacy. The Church invented sight-singing, and it needs to be preserved as part of our patrimony. If they don't get it in school, then they need to get it in church.

I'm a moveable do guy myself. I don't see any gain in quasi-perfect-pitch retention in fixed do, and it strips away any reference to scale structure. If you call C in Ab "mi", then fa is certainly a half step above. If you call it "do", then you mentally have to reference the key signature to decide if the next note is ra or re. I'm reminded of the wag who, asked to sing "America" in fixed do in Ab, sang "Do do do do...do do"
  • JQ-
    Awesome response! LOL.
  • so it's not surprising that Solfege tends to be abandoned once discussion extends to harmony and counterpoint.

I don't think so. There's always a relationship.

Using the integers doesn't help with vowel formation, but why should it? Distinct vowel-based exercises can address that need more efficiently.

It should because everything you do should lend itself to good singing.
  • I'm a moveable do guy myself. I don't see any gain in quasi-perfect-pitch retention in fixed do, and it strips away any reference to scale structure.

Right!

Movable do = tonal music

Fixed do = atonal music = useless for anything tonal
  • IanWIanW
    Movable do = movable 1.

Harmony and counterpoint involve vertical and horizontal relationships between pitches; those relationships can be labelled and understood numerically, whereas 'from' and 'to are required if the description is restricted to solfege, and even then the interval is only described indirectly. Solfege is not only inefficient in describing these relationships, but deficient in meaning to some degree.

That said, if your choir doesn't have a background in sight-reading but has had some exposure to solfege, because that was their music educators' thing, it may be the way to go. But you really, really should introduce exercises dedicated to different elements of singing, such as vowels and placement - much long-term damage is done to singing technique by choral singing that doesn't focus on such detail.

ps I was going to observe that the culture that encouraged me to sight-sing on the basis of numerical relationships has produced large numbers of of sight singers at various levels of competence, but that would probably sound insufferable so I won't :-)
  • Jeffrey Quick
    99.9% of the music we sing is more tonal than not. Yes, even contemporary music. So why work with a system that shines only in atonal music? Even there, one sings more by interval than by an artificially-imposed pitch center on C.