Communications questions
  • I do not work under a contract, so things are not as precisely laid out for me as maybe for some others. I am thinking that setting up periodic (say, quarterly?) meetings with my pastor might be a good idea.

Those times I do meet with him, I learn a lot about his plans & desires (many of which may involve music), and sometimes I even get some surprising & useful feedback. I'm also able to ask him questions etc.

Does anyone here meet with the pastor on a regular basis? Say more about it? thank you!
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • ebullock
    My pastor and I have a brief meeting every other week! There's not always a ton to discuss, but I find it helpful to keep in touch; otherwise, I'd never get serious feedback!
  • I periodically request a meeting with the pastor, maybe 1-2 x per year. Usually, I try to meet with the pastor in advance of releasing a "final" liturgical schedule for the following season, so typically in the Feb/Mar time-frame. He usually gets back to me about May/Jun time-frame with additions/changes/deletions from the liturgical schedule. Additionally, I'd ask for a meeting if there is a collection of important things to cover.

Apart from meetings, if there is something he (or I) need to be aware of, typically e-mail is useful. If your pastor is open to quarterly meetings, I would think that is a good thing.

As for communications:
    • Google Group for periodic communications to the group that I'd like kept in an archive of sorts. This includes "policies", notifications about special events that are outside the normal scope of the choir, interesting articles, etc..
    • Google Drive for all polyphonic music in pdf form; sound files for practice broken out by part; music schedule (for the season); practice schedule (for the season); recordings from special Masses or Liturgies that we've sung where applicable; weekly intonation guides for celebrant / organist; separate area with restricted access for documents involved in planning upcoming weddings.
    • Google Calendar for all rehearsals / Masses / events that are choir connected. This is usually up to a season in advance (currently projects the schedule through June, 2020).
    • A programmer in the group has automated emails for each Mass and practice. These emails read from the posted Excel schedules; inform who is cantoring; what music will be sung; what book / page-number for the music.
    • I send periodic e-mails as needed. During Lent, for example, it is weekly - the practice schedule can be confusing with the Tenebrae small group; the regular small group; and the full group meeting at different times on rehearsal night.
    • I print the intonation guide for each Mass (one copy for the sacristy, one copy for the organist). It has all intonations and a breakdown of the what the choir will do, including pre and post Mass (esp. for special Masses like Candlemas / Ash Wednesday etc.).
    • Each month, I print a rolling twelve month "highlights" that lists events that are out of the ordinary. It wouldn't list Sunday Mass, for example, but it would list anything we are doing that is not in the normal routine of rehearsal and Sunday Mass (Workshops, bake sales, feast-day Masses, optional Masses, etc.) for the next twelve months. This is for the front of everyone's binder (or to take home) so that they have a discrete list to which to refer.
    • Annual end-of-year meeting for the entire choir. Usually dinner out at a restaurant or catered; usually with some "spirits". It is an opportunity to thank the choir while also drawing attention to the purpose that defines us. Usually in lieu of one of the last rehearsals of the year - lasts about 3 hours. Father and the Oratorian running the music program at our sister parish are both invited.
    • Periodic polls (doodle polls or in person votes depending on the circumstances) regarding new things that might be on the radar.
    • Periodic orientation luncheon for new members (as needed).
  • Incard - gasp - I will never be as organized as you, but you've given some good ideas. thanks!
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • CharlesW
    I e-mail forms listing the music for the next 6 - 12 weeks to the office, the choir and the cantors. I don't deviate from the list and there are no surprises. I see the pastor at least twice per week and ask when I need to know something. He is good about getting in touch with me if anything comes up. For the most part, he trusts me and doesn't worry about music. We like to do things as simply as possible.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • Mme - I'm not organized, just stubborn. It's my German/Austrian side winning out.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress