And who can identify with writer of this?
  • "For many it's not just enough to say we'll do it because the Vatican congregation says so."
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I know, I know!!

It's our friend Dan Schutte writing in the new issue of Today's Liturgy. I was going to post about this but then found the whole idea draining.

His entire article on the subject of the tetragrammaton was...self serving...to say the least.

Here are the affected songs

#CCCCCC solid; ">

Download songs (PDF)
    imageAnd the Father Will Dance (Carey Landry)
    Como Busca la Cierva (Xavier Gonzales Tescuano)
    Como Por Las Fuentes de Agua (Perla Moré)
    El Rey De La Gloria (Aldo Blanco Dávalos)
    I Lift Up my Soul (Tim Manion)
    I Love You, Lord/Te Amo, Señor (Julie and Tim Smith)
    In Praise of His Name (Roc O’Connor)
    Let the King of Glory Come (Michael Joncas)
    Like a Seal on Your Heart (Carey Landry)
    Me Alegré (Carlos Rosas)
    Sing a New Song (Dan Schutte)
    The Lord is King (Rory Cooney)
    Tu Eres Mi Hijo (Patricio Gómez Junco)
    You are Near (Dan Schutte)
    Yahweh (now titled "God of My Salvation") (Gregory Norbet)
    Yahweh Is My Shepherd (now titled "Shepherd of My Soul") (Millie Rieth)
    Yahweh, The Faithful One (now titled "The Faithful One") (Dan Schutte)

OCP grants reprint permission for these songs to current missal subscribers and hymnal customers through November 29, 2009.

• Link to his comments, which are required reading, children, for an understanding of the thinking of OCP'ers.

http://www.danschutte.com/revisions.html
  • Gentlemen Friends,
    I think you do Schutte a bit of disservice as the original quote was excerpted out of a larger context. The fuller quote, "Many people will not understand unless it's explained why we don't sing "Yahweh" anymore. Even with careful instruction, there will be people who will continue to sing "You are near" just the way they have for the past 37 years. It's not enough just to say we'll do it because the Vatican congregation says so. Our faith deserves more than that."
    I actually "hear" Schutte endorsing the efforts of Bsp. Serratelli, my local bishop et al, and the publishers who did expediently publish and disseminate thorough explanations of the Vatican directive in newspapers and parish bulletins. The truncated quote can indeed be regarded as a sort of petulant reaction; but I don't believe that is how Schutte intended it to be regarded.
    As to Schutte's intent present in the article, I wouldn't presume to judge that. YMMV
  • "For many it's not just enough to say we'll do it because the Vatican congregation says so. Our faith deserves more than that."

Well, what does this say? Our faith deserves more than doing something because the Vatican says so? I feel that that is where the US church has totally gone wrong.

If one believes that cardinals elect the Pope that's one thing. But if one believes that the Holy Spirit is responsible for the election of the Pope....it's something entirely different.

And your message was gentlemanly put, thanks for it!
    Charles, you know, I understand your point, and it was my impression too when I first read it. I thought, oh, this isn't so bad. But then days passed and I read it again. I tried to conjure up that old feeling but it began to dissipate with his paragraph after paragraph explanation, which really stretched on and on. I put it down again for a week and re-read it just yesterday. each time I went back to it, the sentence quoted above stuck out in my mind. I'm also of the view that there must be reasons for things, but this is a narrow directive--and an unusual one--and one that actually provided the reasons. It's not as if the Vatican just announced a policy without providing the whole background and thinking here. Why was it not enough just to read the explanation given in the directive itself? Schutte acts like he is being ordered around by Torquemada here. Moreover, his article actually seems to take issue with the directive, and on very weak grounds. so while I agree that the quotation isn't enough to make a case against his attitude, the broader context in which it occurs actually strengthens the impression that Schutte just resents all forms of Church authority, and this actually surprised me! I do think it is an unfortunate piece of prose.
  • Thank you, friends, for your kind replies. Jeffrey, does your impression of Schutte's resentment stem from the paragraph "Sensitivity and Respect" in particular, or from the general tenor of the article?
    And having also seen the post at NLM, I also ask, is there a tone of condescension in that article's prose? If I'm in error at receiving that impression, mea maxima culpa. If not, I don't see a purpose for it, particularly during Lent.
    I've taken some measure of risk giving gratis copies of SLaC to my pastor and to some of my more "Spirit of VII" musical leaders in hopes they recognize both the "charity and clarity" (self-quote from Amazon review) in your thoughts. I would hate to have them not recognize the charity part of the equation just because of a fairly narrow and innocuous article in a publishing house's shill periodical is then caricatured as petty and shallow.
  • miacoyne
    Can one be still a catholic when he intentionally rejects 'catholic faith'? Maybe he is not catholic. I respect protestants because at least they don't pretend to be catholics.
  • CharlesW
    Schutte a Protestant? Jumping JHVH! I thought he was just a mediocre composer and delinquent ex-Jesuit.
  • chonakchonak
    Good Heavens. I don't see any justification for Mia's suggestion about Schutte.
  • CW, that was clever and funny despite the sardonic dig. I agree with chonak's observation; where'd that come from?
    Unless this whole thread is a big April Fools' joke.
    "Here hangs a man discarded...," (B.Wren)
  • mjballoumjballou
    The problem with Today's Liturgy is many musicians and liturgists use it as their sole source of information. We should do all we can to provide them with other resources, but we should also recognize that lots of folks think they're doing just fine.

The problem with much of the music identified above is that it isn't suitable music for liturgical functions. Its aesthetic, compositional, etc. merits aren't important to me otherwise because there's room in the world for a great deal of music I don't like.

The use of the tetragrammaton has vexed me since it showed up in the Jerusalem Bible. Our hollering "you know what" when the Jews who wrote the original texts didn't always struck me as vaguely insulting, no matter how broad-minded we wanted to be. Somewhat along the lines of the "pseudo-Sedars" that popped up in the 1960s and refuse to go away.

Now I'm going to rehearsal.
  • CharlesW
    I suspect Schutte has made a great deal of money writing music that I wouldn't buy or use in church, that is, until he decides to write a new song unto the Lord. It would also have to be a better song. I guess that means we can't say JHVH anymore. Jumping Lord just doesn't have the same effect, does it?
    @CharlesinCenCA, I would say from the entire piece. It was interesting history but it was way too defensive on his own behalf. I don't think anyone was somehow accusing him of anything really. His Alleluia example seemed pointless to me.

Also, you know, I doubt the idea that this was somehow a result of the Jerusalem Bible. It was just the fashion in those times. I know this for sure, having lived it in many silly youth camps.
  • miacoyne
    Charles W, thank you for letting me know that he is not a protestant. The quote above is a statement of challenging the authority of the Church to me. Musicians here who try to follow the instructions and rubrics do so, not because they understand them all, or they are explained all the time, but because they are from the Church. From what I understand, the Church tried to explain the reform of Vatican II as much as she can, but not many people seemed to hear or listen. Maybe sometimes the Church has to give a firm order and no room for the dispute. Maybe this time people heard very clearly. I don't know. All I know is that the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit.
    Many times I feel that the Church does what parents do for their children, and we act like children, and I know as a parent that sometimes I cannot explain why all the time, but the kids eventually find out why if they obey. Well, this is my opinion. Nobody has to agree with me.
    Mr. Schutte is a well known composer I guess, and the 'Today's Liturgy' seems to be read by many catholics. When this kind of influential person speaks openly "our faith deserves more than that' kind of statement, I had to wonder what kind of faith he is talking about. Did God explain everything to us? Would it have been easier for us to follow Him if He did? Or He wants us to obey, even if He didn't.
    If he is refering to catholic faith in his qoute, I think he would rather say something to do with obeying the Church's instruction and the discipline, and encourage others by setting the example whether he agrees or understands it. Well, that's my faith. I know my faith is so small and weak, and deserves nothing, but God still pour out His love for me through His Church.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, let's see if I can make his point more obviously acceptable for you:

When someone presents an instruction (or a directive) from the Church, they can tell us to accept it on the Church's authority, or they can use the methods of reason to provide a justification for it.

Every argument is either an argument from authority or an argument from reason. If a thing can be known through either means, then the argument from reason is the stronger argument. This is a very common idea in Catholic thought, going back at least to the medievals. It's part of how Catholic thought integrates reason and faith. St. Thomas Aquinas mentions it in the Summa (under the question "Whether sacred doctrine is a matter of argument"). He says, "the proof from authority is the weakest form of proof".

Now, some doctrines do require an argument from authority, because they cannot be known through reason alone -- for example, the revelation of the Trinity. But when an argument from reason is possible, it's better to provide it.

So -- Schutte is saying -- there are many people who aren't very satisfied with just getting a Vatican instruction about the liturgy without an explanation for it. Our Catholic faith, with its tradition of integrating faith and reason, deserves better.

---

I hope that helps.

Now, in reality -- as Jeffrey pointed out above -- the CDWDS instruction did come with an explanation, and Schutte's reaction doesn't seem to acknowledge that. But his confusion about that doesn't come anywhere near challenging the Church's authority.
  • What chonak said!
    I really don't think Schutte's little missive warrants any great measure of indignation is all. And, going to Mary Jane's point about OCP/LT's being a sole resource, isn't it possible to view the article's thrust as being a source of enlightenment to such "folk" that songwriters such as Schutte are, at least, mindful of the issues of textual proprieties? And I still maintain that our contributions to that enlightenment not be derisive or dismissive.
    Can we close this one down?
    Well, I'm really grateful to know how much stuff is read and interpreted and understood. So I'm glad to have these reactions and I can never do enough policing of my own work.
  • francis
    Those who venture out into the experimental realm of liturgical music automatically set themselves up for this type of scrutiny from the church whether it be the Vatican or the professional musical community. As a composer of sacred music, I always willingly submit all of my offerings to the authorities and rightly so, no matter what the outcome or judgement of the church may be.
  • miacoyne
    Thanks chonak for the insightful and kind explanation. I understand that the degrees of how you see his statement can vary.
    I wanted to know him a bit better and went to the thread on him in this forum, "Composer Dan Schutte can't be kept from singing" It was quite amazing to read the posts there (many of them are written by the same people here)compare to what I hear here. Is this the same person we are talking about who wrote "City of God" ... let us build the city of God... ?
    I don't think my limited reasoning and imagination can stretch to see that his statement is based on the wonderful catholic tradition of integrating faith and reason as seen in St. Thomas Aquinas' writing. Mr. Schutte's theology expressed in his songs doesn't support his statement above as in the same spirit as in St. Thomas Aquinas, even if both quotes are out of context.
    I want to pray that his songs and talks may inspire and help to lead the faith of fellow catholics in the right direction.
  • Francis,
    This question may require initiating a new thread, but I'm intrigued by your term "experimental realm of liturgical music." Could you elaborate on what that exactly means?
    Thanks,
    C
  • francis
    The music that is newly composed and not based in the traditions of the last five to ten centuries is experimental. DA and I have touched on the documents that expound on this thinking between ourselves. I Can't remember if any of it is on this forum, but for starts, the poor translation of Musica Sacra from the Latin to the English where composers are encouraged to be "creative". I would have to go back to sources to draw this out which won't be possible as Holy Week and premier has totally swallowed my time till Easter, but I would love to pursue this further at that point in time.

In our own US of A, Weakland championed the "creative" spirit and was a significant force by organizing key composers, musicians and "liturgists" which is outlined in the Snowbird documents.

Significant changes in the liturgy, text, music, action have always evolved organically, slowly and carefully over centuries. In the light of VII there was a radical departure from that tradition of change and much was foisted on the church by a small "committee" nearly overnight. A vaccuum occurred which synthetically forced this experimentation without the slow and deliberate discernment that the church has always excersized.

The fruit of this haste has produced a mind boggling amount of instability and almost a complete loss of identity to what it means to be RC. This occurred in everything liturgical including the evacuation of chant, the destruction of altars, the confusion of the role of priest, the abandonment of ruberics, the embarrasing proliferation of detestable English translations of the Mass and the Bible, the orientation of the priest at the Holy Sacrifice, the abandonment of the organ, polyphony, and role and placement of the choir, the institution of RocknRoll and clown apostacies, and on and on and on.

Here are some paragraphs from Musica Sacra that reflect this thinking:

14. The choral chant began to be called "Gregorian" after St. Gregory, the man who revived it. It attained new beauty in almost all parts of Christian Europe after the 8th or 9th century because of its accompaniment by a new musical instrument called the "organ." Little by little, beginning in the 9th century, polyphonic singing was added to this choral chant. The study and use of polyphonic singing were developed more and more during the centuries that followed and were raised to a marvelous perfection under the guidance of magnificent composers during the 15th and 16th centuries.

15. Since the Church always held this polyphonic chant in the highest esteem, it willingly admitted this type of music even in the Roman basilicas and in pontifical ceremonies in order to increase the glory of the sacred rites. Its power and splendor were increased when the sounds of the organ and other musical instruments were joined with the voices of the singers.

16. Thus, with the favor and under the auspices of the Church the study of sacred music has gone a long way over the course of the centuries. In this journey, although sometimes slowly and laboriously, it has gradually progressed from the simple and ingenuous Gregorian modes to great and magnificent works of art. To these works not only the human voice, but also the organ and other musical instruments, add dignity, majesty and a prodigious richness.

17. The progress of this musical art clearly shows how sincerely the Church has desired to render divine worship ever more splendid and more pleasing to the Christian people. It likewise shows why the Church must insist that this art remain within its proper limits and must prevent anything profane and foreign to divine worship from entering into sacred music along with genuine progress, and perverting it.

18. The Sovereign Pontiffs have always diligently fulfilled their obligation to be vigilant in this matter. The Council of Trent also forbids "those musical works in which something lascivious or impure is mixed with organ music or singing."[11] In addition, not to mention numerous other Sovereign Pontiffs, Our predecessor Benedict XIV of happy memory in an encyclical letter dated February 19, 1749, which prepared for a Holy Year and was outstanding for its great learning and abundance of proofs, particularly urged Bishops to firmly forbid the illicit and immoderate elements which had arrogantly been inserted into sacred music.[12]

19. Our predecessors Leo XII, Pius VII, Gregory XVI, Pius IX, and Leo XIII [13] followed the same line.

20. Nevertheless it can rightly be said that Our predecessor of immortal memory, St. Pius X, made as it were the highest contribution to the reform and renewal of sacred music when he restated the principles and standards handed down from the elders and wisely brought them together as the conditions of modern times demanded.[14] Finally, like Our immediate predecessor of happy memory, Pius XI, in his Apostolic Constitution Divini cultus sanctitatem (The Holiness of Divine Worship), issued December 20, 1929,[15] We ourself in the encyclical Mediator Dei (On the Sacred Liturgy), issued November 20, 1947,[16] have enriched and confirmed the orders of the older Pontiffs.

21. Certainly no one will be astonished that the Church is so vigilant and careful about sacred music. It is not a case of drawing up laws of aesthetics or technical rules that apply to the subject of music. It is the intention of the Church, however, to protect sacred music against anything that might lessen its dignity, since it is called upon to take part in something as important as divine worship.

22. On this score sacred music obeys laws and rules which are no different from those prescribed for all religious art and, indeed, for art in general. Now we are aware of the fact that during recent years some artists, gravely offending against Christian piety, have dared to bring into churches works devoid of any religious inspiration and completely at variance with the right rules of art. They try to justify this deplorable conduct by plausible-looking arguments which they claim are based on the nature and character of art itself. They go on to say that artistic inspiration is free and that it is wrong to impose upon it laws and standards extraneous to art, whether they are religious or moral, since such rules seriously hurt the dignity of art and place bonds and shackles on the activity of an inspired artist.

Here is a piece on CanticaNova about the Snowbird.

http://www.canticanova.com/articles/liturgy/art9o1.htm

Snowbird in Sacred Music Journal

http://www.musicasacra.com/publications/sacredmusic/pdf/sm127-4.pdf

You might say we are 'reaping what we snowed!"
  • It is a matter of sadness that Catholics call out-dated music contemporary and ignore true Contemporary music.

You don't have to like it...but you should recognize it.

Oh....just got a link to Fr. Z's blog:

FROM A BLOG

"Right now I am watching the Mass from the Vatican Basilica for the 4th anniversary of the death of Pope John Paul II.

The whole Mass has been in Italian… up to the Preface.

The Preface was sung by the Holy Father in Latin with a Latin Sanctus.

But… Italian Eucharistic Prayer…

Latin Our Father

Latin Agnus Dei

As usual the Holy Father gave Holy Communion only to those who knelt and received on the tongue."

Noel's note:

I have suggested in the past that I'd like to sing the Part Berliner Messe at a Novus Ordo Mass said in English to the Creed and Latin for the Catechumens.....can that day be getting closer? True Contemporary Music at Mass?
  • francis
    Noel:

I don't understand what you mean by this:

"It is a matter of sadness that Catholics call out-dated music contemporary and ignore true Contemporary music. You don't have to like it...but you should recognize it."

Can you clarify? Thanks.
  • In this part of Catholic USA, Contemporary Groups have guitars, pianos and play music from OCP and GIA which are not what any college music department would call anything but left over 1970's, 80's and 90's pop music forms.

Catholic Oldies.

Not music of contemporary composers.

The difference between Let Me As A Seal by Landry and Set Me As A Seal by Sir William Walton.

Walton may not be truly contemporary as he is no longer with us. He was a very gregarious, friendly guy when I coached the Italian premiere of his opera The Bear. I was hired to set the Italian translation to the score and then coach the singers.
  • Gentlemen and Ladies,
    I think that we ought to take up Francis' suggestion and seriously take this up, post-Easter, in another thread. Some brief, bulleted responses:
    *I fundamentally disagree that sacred or liturgical music that clearly has tenets connected to "traditional" music dating back five to ten centuries constitutes "suitability" for use at Church. The era is irrelevent; the style employed is of paramount concern. As has been mentioned in many threads elsewhere, the works of Gesualdo or Ockeghem must be evaluated for suitability by the same criteria applied to Byrd or Victoria; the works of M. Haydn or P. Martini must be evaluated along those of the grander Masses of Mozart or Charpentier; the works of Faure and Bruckner with those of Verdi and Rossini; and the works of Pendercki and Part along those of....Richard Rice or Francis.
    *Toward that end, it seems that the only commonality that serious liturgical musicians must agree upon is the explicit primacy of Gregorian chant, and its edification by the more elaborate, deliberate and related form of "classical" polyphony. Beyond those, we will find little consensus. The failure of both the Milwaukee Symposium and Snowbird Statement to take root among any of the known "guilds" of church musicians attests to that.
    *So, I still wonder if the term "experimental" is either valid or valuable in discoursing about the quality of sacred or liturgical works, whether it is a setting of the text mentioned above by Landry, Walton or Rene Clausen.
    *Experiemental projects that otherwise try to adhere to various licit criteria issued by church directives would include PSALLITE as well as BFW and other volumes regularly discussed here. And we seem to always, while applauding the intent and attempt, always seems to default back to the Gregorian Missal, or the Parish Book of Chant or the Graduale, which doesn't promote the creation of new music envisioned by MS.
    Gotta run, Communal Penance Service.....(blech....)
  • Charles, I'm not sure what you are saying, but I agree!
  • Well, Noel, thems that know me from '08 Colloquium and SD Intensive will agree that I rarely know what I'm saying either. But I do try to be agreeable '-) I think it's because I travel with Cabs, not by cabs.
  • francis
    Charles:

On your points:

*I am not saying music that is five or ten centuries old is what we should exclusively sing today and if it is five or ten centuries old it is all licit or relevant for today's liturgy; I am saying, however, that there was a consistent evolution of form that went back that far that was clearly broken in the last half a century or more. It was at that point in time that significant distortions occured and the profane was allowed to enter the church on all sides. And we also must keep in mind that there probably was always some kind of experimentation throughout the entire history of the church, because that is how evolution of form progresses. Its a push-me-pull-you kind of tension that brings us along and how the church grows.

*Agreed on the commonality of the chant and classical polyphony. It is quite evident when a composer derives his/her work from the roots of authentic sacred music. BFW, as you mentioned, is a wonderful work that has recognizable foundations that reaches back into a familiar tradition of sacred music. Those aren't the experiments I am speaking about, albeit they are conservative experiments of a sort. It is the extremes that truly concern me; things like a Rock Mass or a multi-cultural menagerie (papal Mass in D.C.), that seems to conjure something alien to our liturgical roots, and is almost exclusively experimental, strangely synthetic, and completely foreign to the rite.

*In my mind, ALL composers are experimenting at some level or another. Heck. Palestrina was a fantastic experimenter in his day. IMHO, his music is just as fitting for a liturgy today as it was back when he was putting the notes into manuscript. And many professional church musicians will say the same thing today.

*Absolutely true. The GM, PBC or the Graduale have nothing to do with experimentation. They are the treasures that have withstood the test of time and trial of what WAS once an experiment. We have the same opportunity to create what is true, what is sacred and what is pure. And it is only time and trial that will test our works.
  • francis
    Noel:

Thanks for the clarification.

I categorize anything that has been composed in the last 100 years as contemporary.
    Isn't that so interesting ! Anything composed at the tail end of horse and buggy days is contemporary. Any theories as to why that is? I have one, but I don't want to ride by hobby horse yet again.
  • francis
    Not sure, JT. What are you thinking?

Here's a list of some of the early 20th Century composers. I googled for a list of composers by chronological date and grabbed the most well known names off the list. What flavor of musical "experimentation" do these names conjure up at a glance?

Here is my take.

I really like most all of these, but Shostakovich and Webber are my least favorites. As for those that professed to be "holding true to the roots of sacred music", Messiaen was the most experimental, Barber tended toward the romantic (but truly moving music), Bernstein composed a "Mass"... oops... my mistake... this is Sacred Broadway! Gorecki, Part and Tavener subscribe to the school of minimalism, and I find their works captivating, but I tire quickly of the repetition. Andrew of course composed the most famous 'religious' music of them all... Jesus Christ Superstar... Super Sacred Broadway. Where are all the composers of sacred music hiding!!

( 9/25/1906 - 8/09/1975 ) SHOSTAKOVICH, Dimitri
    ( 12/10/1908 - 4/27/1992 ) MESSIAEN, Olivier
    ( 3/09/1910 - 1/23/1981 ) BARBER, Samuel
    ( 11/22/1913 - 12/04/1976 ) BRITTEN, Lord Benjamin
    ( 8/25/1918 - 10/14/1990 ) BERNSTEIN, Leonard
    ( 1933 - ) GORECKI, Henryk Mikolaj
    ( 9/11/1935 - ) PART, Arvo
    ( 1/28/1944 - ) TAVENER, John
    ( 3/22/1948 - ) LLOYD WEBBER, Andrew

Here is the list from wiki. These are the bold names from the first 50 years of the 20th Century. Many of these are experimental in my book. Out of that list, I consistently listen to Copeland, Barber and Part... (some of them I do not know at all. Does any one know if any of these others are composers of sacred music? (besides the ones mentioned above) Granted, wiki may be prejudice to listing composers of sacred music. Not sure. Any guesses?

Aaron Copland 1900-1990 American Appalachian Spring (ballet); Billy the Kid (ballet); Rodeo (ballet); Fanfare for the Common Man; Clarinet Concerto neoclassical, Folk music influence, jazz influence, early twelve-tone, later serialism
    William Walton 1902-1983 British Symphony No. 1; Violin Concerto; Viola Concerto; Variations on a Theme by Hindemith; Belshazzar's Feast (oratorio) avant-garde (early), neoromantic, neoclassical
    Aram Khachaturian 1903-1978 Armenian Gayane (ballet, contains the famous Sabre Dance); Spartacus (ballet); concertos
    Dmitri Kabalevsky 1904-1987 Russian The Comedians
    Giacinto Scelsi 1905-1988 Italian Quattro pezzi chiascuno su una nota sola unclassifiable
    Michael Tippett 1905-1998 British The Midsummer Marriage; 4 symphonies; A Child of Our Time (oratorio)
    Dmitri Shostakovich 1906-1975 Russian Symphony No. 5, No. 7, No. 9, and No. 10; Violin Concerto No. 1; Cello Concerto No. 1; Festive Overture; String Quartet No. 8; Piano Quintet; Romance from The Gadfly Suite neoclassical, neoromantic
    Elliott Carter 1908- American Variations for Orchestra; A Symphony of Three Orchestras; 5 string quartets neoclassical (early), modernist
    Olivier Messiaen 1908-1992 French Turangalila Symphony; Quartet for the End of Time; Vingt regards sur l'enfant-Jésus; Saint François d'Assise (opera) mysticism, post-impressionist
    Samuel Barber 1910–1981 American Adagio for Strings; Violin Concerto; Symphony in One Movement Romanticism
    John Cage 1912-1992 American 4'33"; Sonatas and Interludes Aleatoric music, Extended technique
    Conlon Nancarrow 1912-1997 American-Mexican Studies for player-piano
    Benjamin Britten 1913-1976 British Sinfonia da Requiem; Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra; War Requiem; Cello Symphony; Peter Grimes (opera) Neo-classicism
    Morton Gould 1913-1996 American
    Witold Lutosławski 1913-1994 Polish Concerto for Orchestra; Musique funebre; Jeux vénitiens; Preludes and a Fugue; Symphony No. 2 and Symphony No. 3 Neo-classicism, folk-influenced, later Aleatoric music
    Milton Babbitt 1916– American Composition for Four Instruments; six string quartets; Philomel serialism, electronic music
    Henri Dutilleux 1916– French 2 symphonies; Tout un Monde Lointain; The Shadows of Time; Timbres, espace, mouvement Neo-impressionism
    Alberto Ginastera 1916–1983 Argentine Panambi (ballet); Malambo; 2 piano concertos; 3 piano sonatas
    Lou Harrison 1917-2003 American Concerto for Violin and Percussion Orchestra; Piano Concerto; 4 symphonies; much gamelan music
    Leonard Bernstein 1918-1990 American West Side Story (musical); Chichester Psalms; Candide; Serenade; Mass; 3 symphonies jazz and popular music influence
    Malcolm Arnold 1921-2006 British Symphony No. 5 and No. 7; English Dances; film music
    Iannis Xenakis 1922–2001 Greek Metastasis avant-garde
    György Ligeti 1923-2006 Hungarian Atmosphères avant-garde
    Ned Rorem 1923- American Our Town (opera); Air Music; 3 numbered symphonies; over 400 songs Pulitzer Prize winner
    Luigi Nono 1924-1990 Italian Avant-garde
    Morton Feldman 1926–1987 American
    Hans Werner Henze 1926– German Ondine (ballet); 10 symphonies; 3 violin concertos
    Einojuhani Rautavaara 1928- Finnish Cantus Arcticus; Symphony No. 7: Angel of Light; Piano Concerto No. 3: The Gift of Dreams Mysticism
    Karlheinz Stockhausen 1928–2007 German Gruppen; Kontakte; Hymnen; Stimmung; Mantra; Tierkreis; Licht Avant-garde, electronic music, serialism, aleatory, world music, intuitive music, formula composition
    George Crumb 1929– American Ancient Voices of Children Extended technique
    Alun Hoddinott 1929–2008 Welsh
    Peter Sculthorpe 1929- Australian Requiem; Kakadu; Earth Cry; Piano Concerto; 17 string quartets world music
    Tōru Takemitsu 1930-1996 Japanese A Flock Descends into the Pentagonal Garden; Toward the Sea Neo-impressionism
    Malcolm Williamson 1931-2003 Australian Mass of Christ the King; The Dawn is at Hand; 7 numbered symphonies; cassations
    Wojciech Kilar 1932- Polish Krzesany; Dracula (film music) Holy minimalism
    John Williams 1932- American Jaws (film music); Star Wars (film music)
    Henryk Górecki 1933- Polish Symphony of Sorrowful Songs Holy minimalism
    Krzysztof Penderecki 1933- Polish Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima; St. Luke Passion; A Polish Requiem; Symphony No. 2: Christmas Avant-garde, Extended technique, later Neo-romanticism
    Peter Maxwell Davies 1934- British Eight Songs for a Mad King; 8 symphonies
    Alfred Schnittke 1934-1998 Russian 10 symphonies Polystylism
    Arvo Pärt 1935- Estonian Tabula Rasa; Fratres; Summa; Cantus In Memoriam Benjamin Britten Holy minimalism
    Terry Riley 1935- American In C Minimalism
    Richard Rodney Bennett 1936- British
    Steve Reich 1936– American Piano Phase; Music for 18 Musicians Minimalism
    Philip Glass 1937- American Violin Concerto; operas; 8 symphonies Minimalism
    William Bolcom 1938- American Songs of Experience; Songs of Innocence
    John Harbison 1938- American
    Charles Wuorinen 1938- American Time's Encomium; 8 symphonies; chamber music Serialism
    Louis Andriessen 1939- Dutch son of Hendrik Andriessen
    John McCabe 1939- British
    Ellen Taaffe Zwilich 1939- American 4 symphonies
    Brian Ferneyhough 1943- British Etudes Transcendantales New Complexity
    Joseph Schwantner 1943- American Aftertones of Infinity; A Sudden Rainbow
    Peter Eötvös 1944– Hungarian Love and Other Demons (opera) eclectic, extended technique, electronic music, folk-music influence
    Michael Finnissy 1946- British New Complexity
    John Coolidge Adams 1947- American Harmonielehre; Nixon in China (opera); Shaker Loops, Short Ride in a Fast Machine; Violin Concerto Post-minimalism
    Michael Berkeley 1948- British son of Lennox Berkeley
    Claude Vivier 1948– Canadian Kopernikus: Rituel de la Mort (opera) spectral music, Asian-music influence
    Christopher Rouse 1949- American Requiem; Karolju; Phantasmata; Gorgon; Oboe Concerto; 2 symphonies Pulitzer Prize winner
    Steven Stucky 1949- American Son et Lumière; Concerto for Orchestra No. 2; Rhapsodies; August 4, 1964 Pulitzer Prize winner
    Oliver Knussen 1952- British Symphony No. 2; Where the Wild Things Are (opera)
    Wolfgang Rihm 1952- German 12 string quartets; Die Eroberung von Mexico (opera) New Simplicity, expressionism
    Kaija Saariaho 1952- Finnish Orion