When to begin the "Lamb of God"
  • Exactly when should the organist begin playing the "Lamb of God"? I have been starting when the priest removes theist from the top of the chalice. Some settings have long intros as well. Is there anything in the rubrics about this? Thanks
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • when the priest removes the host Sorry
  • CharlesW
    We have the infamous "sign of peace" before the Lamb of God. I begin it when the handshaking dies down.
  • Carol
    I think our organist begins when the priest opens the tabernacle.
  • Bobby Bolin
    To make sure we are singing during the Fraction I begin when Father turns from the Tabernacle and starts walking to the altar. He's usually a little quicker on Sunday than Saturday.
  • Liam
    In the OF, since it it flows from the norm in GIRM no. 85 that it "is most desirable that the faithful, just as the priest himself is bound to do, receive the Lord’s Body from hosts consecrated at the same Mass", it would be assumed that the celebrant is only resorting to go back to the tabernacle in case of need when it's learned that insufficient hosts have been consecrated for the same Mass, GIRM no. 155 provides "The priest then takes the host and breaks it over the paten. He places a small piece in the chalice, saying quietly, Haec commixtio (May this mingling). Meanwhile the Agnus Dei is sung or said by the choir and congregation (cf. no. 83)."

Likewise the Communion chant/song is begun while the celebrant receives Holy Communion (GIRM no. 159) - not after.
  • Matilda
    Our priests usually go shake a few hands, as they are returning to the altar i begin playing it.
  • Caleferink
    Once I see the priest start breaking the large host, I start. There is one priest, though, who seems to wait on me to get that going, in which case I basically count to 5 once people start saying happy birthday/I love you/wassup/asking how the mrs. is exchanging the peace with each other and then go.
  • tomjaw
    My mother starts the Agnus Dei, as the priest starts heading down the steps to shake hands with the congregation, forcing him to make a swift retreat. My mother has quite bad eyesight, and so it is very difficult to see the Sanctuary from the choir loft, this is is fortuitous, as it has prevented a common Liturgical abuse on numerous occasions.
  • cesarfranck
    Episcopalian here, but for what it is worth this is done slightly differently bv almost every priest and it is a guessing game for me, especially when a visiting priest celebrates. Our current priest wants the Agnus Dei immediately after The Lord's Prayer as the host is broken. Then we immediately begin the prayer of humble access..."We do not presume to come to this table.." I like his practice very much in this regard. The peace is "passed" earlier in the mass, after the Creed and Prayers of the people. I play funeral masses regularly at the Roman Catholic church in town and have noticed with each priest in that parish, the Agnus Dei seems to begin awkwardly. Not my beeswax, but really find the Peace just before Agnus Dei to create a halt in some beautiful liturgies. On other hand, the RC parish has made many tremendous improvements in their liturgy and liturgical actions. As they are unwilling to invest in a decent organ and paying a trained musician to work with choirs, the noted improvements are most appreciated and a sign that better music might be on horizon. Sorry for ramble.
  • CharlesW
    One of my friends once did a parody on the peace greeting. It went something like:

Take your peace and shove it, I ain't comin' here no more. Sung to the country song with similar lyrics.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • We begin when Father holds up the large host (presider?) after the sign of peace. I play one note for the introduction, then we sing while he breaks the host.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen cesarfranck
  • TCJ
    As soon as a congregation member approaches to try to shake my hand. "Sorry, gotta begin the Agnus Dei!"
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • IanWIanW
    As soon as possible.