Wonderful new podcast!
  • Carl DCarl D
    I'm thrilled to find out about the first episode of Jennifer Donelson's new podcast, Square Notes. This one features a powerful conversation with Abp Sample
  • MarkB
    I listened to this. It's outstanding and informative.
  • Thanks, guys!

We hope the crowd here, as well as the average pew dweller will find something of interest. We're planning a mix of general interest and more technical stuff for working church musicians. Here's a list of upcoming topics; we'll release an episode a week.

Episode 1– An Archbishop’s Reflections on Sacred Music – with Archbishop Alexander K. Sample
    Episode 2 – Beauty and Catholic Culture: a Story of Conversion – with Vida and Josh Hernandez
    Episode 3 – The Role of Sacred Music in Catholic Education – with Charles Cole
    Episode 4 – Seven Common Misconceptions about Sacred Music – with Peter and Jenny
    Episode 5 – Introduction to Gregorian Chant – with Dr. William Mahrt
    Episode 6 – Spirituality of Gregorian Chant – with Fr. Cassian Folsom, OSB
    Episode 7 – Historical Techniques for Teaching Music to Children – with Charlie Weaver
    Episode 8 – The Role of Sacred Art in Evangelization and Church Patronage of Art – with Dr. Elizabeth Lev
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I look forward, with a feeling of foreboding if not outright dread, to episode 7 :-0
  • Dread not, dear Richard! I think you'll enjoy it...
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Not after what I've heard about 18c corporeal punishments from John Butt, or read about the California missions where even adult choristers could be tracked down with dogs for missing rehearsal.
  • adult choristers could be tracked down with dogs for missing rehearsal.

Was looking for a new motivational tool. Think I just found it.
  • I assure you we won't be advocating for the adoption of those techniques, Richard. Think more tactus and choir books...
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    choir books
    Plenty of nasty uses for those too.
  • Claire H

Exciting! Will there be an episode released this week?
  • @Claire - Yes! A new episode released every Sunday/Monday

@Richard - to be clear, in the episode we talk about interesting historical pedagogical techniques that are helpful and salutary for adoption in the current time. The misfortunes and sins of the past are certainly not worthy of imitation, nor of human dignity...
  • CGM
    Plus, Charlie Weaver is great!
  • toddevoss
    I enjoyed the first one with Archbishop Sample