What Mass settings do you use?
  • My parish knows Chepponis’ Jubilation Mass, Mass of Christ the Savior, Mass of Creation, Heritage Mass, and Mass of Spirit and Grace.

We also know the Sanctus from People’s Mass and the Danish “When we eat..” and Great Amen.

What do you use, and how often do you change?
    Thanked by 1RedPop4
  • At Our Lady of Walsingham
    we use Willan at major feasts, solemnities, and festal seasons; (sometimes polyphonic on solemnities)
    we use Cum jubilo in English at Marian feasts;
    and Merbecke for Advent, Lent, and throughout Trinitytide (Ordinary Time to you).
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • tomjaw
    Mass I, II, IV, IX, XI, XIV, XVI, and XVII. Plus ad lib Kyrie I and X. and the Requiem.
    Credo I, II, IV, and VI. plus 2 settings of the Asperges and the Vidi Aquam.

They probably know Mass VIII and Credo III but we don't sing them.

The Choir also sing two polyphonic settings Dixit Maria, Hasler and the Byrd 3 part (both with Credo). A visiting paid choir come 10 times a year and also sing polyphonic settings but they never sing the Credo.

This is EF so no English settings!
  • SalieriSalieri
    We use (OF)

Ordinary Time, Autumn & Winter, Sundays: Kyrie XI (orbis factor); Glory to God, mode vi chant by Ralph Bednarz, after St. Meinrad mode vi tone; Sanctus XVII; Agnus Dei XVII.

Ordinary Time, Summer, Sundays: Kyrie XVI; Mozarabic Glory to God (after setting in The Hymnal, 1982); Sanctus more Ambrosiano (Kyriale Simplex); Agnus Dei ad libitum II.

Ordinary Time, Weekdays: Kyrie XVI (if sung); Sanctus more Ambrosiano; Agnus Dei ad lib. II.

Advent & Lent, Sundays: Kyrie XVII (B-Purple Sundays, C-Rose Sundays); Sanctus XVII; Agnus Dei XVII.

Advent & Lent, Weekdays: Kyrie XVI (if sung); Sanctus & Agnus XVIII.

Christmastide & Eastertide, Sundays & the Octave: Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, VIII; Agnus Dei "Mass of St. Teresa", Healey Willan.

Christmastide & Eastertide, Weekdays: Kyrie XVI (if sung); Sanctus VIII; Agnus Willan.

Holy Thursday, Pentecost, Corpus Christi, Trinity: Mass VIII, complete (K, G, S, A)

We also do occasional movements from other Masses, polyphonic, choral, and Plein-Chant Musical.
  • CharlesW
    We use the ICEL chant mass year-round. Usually in English, at certain times in Latin.

What do you use, and how often do you change?

What is this "change" you are talking about? We never change.
  • Polyphonic Kyrie and Agnus every weekend. Sometimes on feasts we simplify the Kyrie but sing a polyphonic Gloria. Congregational settings for the Eucharistic Acclamations are in house settings mostly, and Proulx's Community Mass during Christmastide and Paschaltide.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw RedPop4
  • I'm a bit too AR about Ordinary Settings (EF), but here is what we do (attached).

I use cycle schedules to manage my planning. The cycle schedules ensure that there is a disciplined approach and that I cover all of my goals vis a vis scheduling. I used to be on a 3 year cycle for both my polyphony (primarily motets) and hymns / Christmas Carols as well as the chant. I just finished a major revision of the schedules to shift to 4 year cycles (my major revisions are typically 12-15 years apart) and added polyphonic Mass settings to have a formal cycle schedule as well.

Next season (2019-2020) will be my final Year 3 in the 3 year cycle plan. 2020-2021 will be my first Year 1 in the new 4 year cycle plan.

Within any given year, there are a few rules (some of them standard in any EF parish, others that I have for my groups)... Mass I is only for paschal-tide. Mass XVI, XVII, and XVIII are only for penitential seasons of Advent or Lent. Credo VI is my penitential Credo. Mass IX and X largely for Marian related feasts. Alternate Asperges I and II are distributed across Advent and Lent. Vidi Aquam is for paschaltide. Benedicamus Domino in penitential seasons; Ite Missa Est everywhere else.

Other than the few simple rules above, it is largely a matter of slotting appropriate chant or polyphonic Ordinaries into appropriate Sundays / Feasts (our choir season averages between 75 and 80 Masses with a summer break of 2 months where myself and occasional volunteers sing the Masses). I use Excel to automatically count my usage of each Mass setting and motet (and hymn) to be sure I don't over-utilize or under-utilize. Of course some things will only be used 1-2x... that can't be helped. And there are other things that we've invested considerable practice time where I expect usage to be above average. Excel just gives me the means for managing those expectations.

Of course there are periodic minor revisions to the cycle schedules where I add (or sometimes remove) motets or Mass settings. This season, a main focus of our rehearsal is time budgeted to some of the new polyphonic Mass settings (MARC, B4, L3, starting the T4 and MdM and Credos of 3 Masses). In another 2-3 years, I'm projecting another push on polyphonic Mass settings where we will learn some of the ones highlighted in yellow. There are other Mass settings which are intended for future use, but which aren't in the planning pipeline yet.

Usually, I try to have my music schedules 12-18 months in advance. However, because of the Sacred Music Pilgrimage in 2023, I'm working on completing my music schedules out through the 2023-2024 season. Right now I'm just starting the 2021-2022 season.
  • Polyphonic Masses aside, we use

Mass I for paschal-tide.
    Mass IX for Marian related feasts, Pentecost, and what Kyriale there is for Holy Thursday
    Mass VIII for other feasts
    Mass XI for seasons of Epiphany, Septuagesima, and the Sundays of Pentecost
    Mass XVII for penitential seasons of Advent, Lent
    Credo III is used most of the year except Septuagesima through Passiontide

We are about to work on Mass IV.
    If we were to add another Credo besides I and III, which would you recommend?
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Incardination
  • If we were to add another Credo besides I and III, which would you recommend?

That's a hard question - they all have their own character. VI is probably my personal favorite, but I would recommend IV first. In a former life we used IV as a primarily Marian Credo (no real reason why) - but it is probably the standard after I and III.

At my last parish, the pastor disliked VI (possibly because it is a bit long, possibly because it is a bit repetitive). Before he banned it (really), when he complained I pointed out that it WAS Lent, something he did not receive all that well!
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I'm not currently a parish music director, but I will be again, beginning this summer. Settings I would consider for a "normal" parish, celebrating the Novus Ordo are, in no particular order:

--A Community Mass (Proulx)
    --Heritage Mass (Alstott)
    --Mass of St. Michael (O'Connor)
    --Missa Simplex (Proulx/O'Connor)
    --Land of Rest Mass (Proulx, et al)
    --Deutsche Messe (Schubert, in English)
    --Mass of Creation (Haugen)
    --Mass of St. Philip Neri (Jernberg)
    --Mass for the City (Proulx)

I also definitely think the parish should know all of the ICEL English Chant Mass, Missa Jubilate Deo, and parts (at least) of the Missa de Angelis.

When I was at a reform-of-the-reform parish, we regularly chanted the ordinary in Latin, rotating between de Angelis, Orbis Factor, In Dominicis Adventus Et Quadragesimae, and Jubilate Deo, with some Proulx Missa Simplex mixed in there, along with occasional (couple times a year) choral/polyphonic Masses.
  • tomjaw
    @mmeladirectress

I would recommend Credo IV, it is beautiful, we sing it withe Mass XI, so it is sung on the Sundays after Epiphany and after Pentecost. In older books Credo IV is subtitled Cardinalis.

Credo VI is good too but it is repetitive, one priest did not like it when we sang it with Male Cantor alternating with the choir, so I changed the arrangement of Cantors, so we have the ladies alternate with the men, now everybody likes it.
  • I, II, III, VIII,IX,XI, XIII, XVII, XVIII (on Ash Wednesday only), Credo I, III, IV
    Composed Masses (all without their Credos [Credi?]):
    Rheinberger: MIssa Puerum, Op 62
    Willan: Mass of St. Teresa
    Griesbacher: Missa Rosa Mystica
    Yon: Mass of the Shepherds (around Christmas)
    Martin Dumler: Missa Cantate Pueri
    Eugeniusz Walkiewicz: Missa in homorem S. Josephi Op. 21

Everything except the Yon is in unison. We did Perosi Te Deum Laudamus for awhile, but it didn't really work for us. And since we're EF, they're all in Latin.

• We use...
    St. Frances Cabrini
    Heritage
    Christ the Savior
    Belmont

and for the ad orientem Mass, we use the Latin Chant Mass in OCP Breaking Bread.

We usually change the settings seasonally; currently on SFCabrini, but will use Belmont for Lent (as penance).

As an aside, we are ditching OCP in time for Advent 2019. I am very much looking forward to new Mass settings!
    Thanked by 2MarkB Incardination
  • Heritage
    St. Paul the Apostle
    Missa Emmanuel (our own setting)
    Jubilate Deo
  • TCJ
    Mass of St Thomas More (I think that's what it's called), Fr. Samuel Weber
    Missa Sancta Maria Magdalena, Willan
    Mass VIII
    Missa Jubilate Deo

Spanish Choir:

Misa al Sagrado Corazon de Jesus, Carlos Zapién
    And an unnamed one as well
  • We use, which is an EF Mass centre:

Mass I - Paschaltide
    Mass IV - other Feast Days
    Mass VIII - Christmastide & Michaelmas
    Mass IX - Marian Feasts
    Mass XI - Epiphanytide, Septuagesima & Sundays after Pentecost
    Mass XVII - Sundays in Advent & Lent
    Mass XVIII - Ash Wednesday
    Credo I - 1st Class Feasts & Feasts of the BMV
    Credo II - Advent & Lent
    Credo III - Christmastide & Michaelmas
    Credo IV - Epiphanytide, Septuagesima & Sundays after Pentecost

Weekly sung Masses were only introduced 2 years ago, so we are slowly building up the repertoire.
  • Mass of Saint Philip Neri: http://www.pauljernberg.com/shop

I believe this is the finest English setting for OF that is accessible, beautiful, sacred, and connected to the great sacred music tradition of the church.
  • Our Archdiocese sort of mandated Gokelman & Kauffman's "Mass of Renewal" back in 2010. It is lively enough, but many do not like it. I use it for Eastertide and Christmastide only, now, except for the "Through-composed Gloria" which I use every week.

In Ordinary Time, I use Proulx's "A Community Mass" and at 7:00 a.m. which I do alone, I use the ICEL Chants.

During Advent and Lent I use the ICEL Chants in Latin.

Between 2013 and 2016, during Ordinary Time, I was using Richard Clark's "Mass in Honor of Pope St. John Paul II" which I dearly enjoy. New, youngish, co-pastor did not like it, it was not "big" enough, I guess. Pity.
  • In the Cathedral I worked at for 12 years, the standard was to change the mass setting every 6-8 weeks, and rotate through about 12 settings pre-2010, and 5-6 after. It worked fine there.

In the small country parish were I now help out, they had been singing only those chants in the Roman Missal for the past few years. The Kyrie, Sanctus and Agnus Dei would alternate between English and Latin without specific parameters. They were always started by the priest, so all would answer in whatever language he used to start. That is still the case for the Kyrie and Sanctus, which are still from the Missal. As the English mass each weekend, the Gloria is by John Lee, and the Agnus Dei is from the Missa de Angelis. The Sanctus from that mass will be introduced in due time. The Our Father is chanted to the Snow melody.

As the parish is not mono-cultural, at liturgies that encompass the entire congregation, the Gloria is switched to the Missa de Angelis, the Sanctus is in Latin for certain, and the Pater Noster is swapped in for the Our Father.

The congregation was very happy to get away from the Missal Gloria, and are accustomed to using the same ordinaries for years on end, and they have a history of that going back at least into the 90s.
  • Glad to see Mmeladirectress and at least one other are including Mass IV. Someone had mentioned it somewhere on this forum awhile ago - I found a wonderful Youtube video rehearsal and now I listen to this every evening. I am totally addicted. I hum parts of it during the day. Here is the Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF0z7-AifmU
  • tomjaw
    @toddevoss

Try this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sVt4Ni1z3U

We used (2 choir directors ago) to sing the Mass IV Kyrie in a similar manner but with a drone for the lower voice.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    @tomjaw and @toddevoss -- are things like this notated anywhere? I think it would be difficult to get my people to do it by ear, but if they could read it, I might have a chance.
  • tomjaw
    @irishtenor

I have heard of such things, but it really is easy, you split the choir into 3 groups, one sings at pitch, another sings a 5th or a 6th below (or a drone), and the other a 5th or a 6th above. Well that is how Christopher Hodkinson got us to do it for any bit of chant in the Liber.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Dr. Berry is popping up all over the place.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • are things like this notated anywhere?

Sometimes, but usually when it has been input as in these attached files.

The first is the Solemn Salve with drone; the second is Bonus Est (Palestrina); the last is the accompanying psalm with drone for the Bonus Est.
  • English OF Masses:

Heritage Mass / Missa Simplex (Proulx) for Greentide
    Missal Chants / Jubilate Deo for Purpletide
    Mass of Wisdom (w/ amateur brass) for Whitetide

Kyrie always sung to Missal Chant in Greek or English, with a widening array of time-sensitive third invocations drawn from the polyphonic treasury (most recently, an adaptation of Casali's Mass in G).

To avoid confusion, we marry Memorial Acclamation A, B, or C to a setting, and only use that one for that particular setting.

EF Latin Choir
    (3rd year in present form, full ceremonies just beginning to be commonly used, so choices judiciously chosen for time considerations)

Chant (this is an expanding list):
    Missa I, VIII (Eastertide)
    VIII, IX (Christmastide)
    XI (Greentide)
    XVII, XVIII (Purpletide)
    Credo III (they've been monocredal forever... Credo I is next)

Polyphony (this is a list eagerly expanding with more like Vittoria):
    Bartschmid Holy Cross Mass (S, B, A)
    Victoria Missa O Magnum (K, G, S, B)
    Wilkens St Anthony Mass (full minus Credo)

J. Flaherty Et Incarnatus Est to underline the Credo.

• Thanks @tomjaw. @irishtenor - I am just a music-loving PIP - so won't be able to help you track such things.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor tomjaw
  • Right now my parish has Steve Janco's Mass of Wisdom and Mass of Redemption under their belts, as well as the following misc. parts:
    Kyrie XVI
    Kyrie from Proulx'sA Community Mass
    Gloria from Lee's Congregational Mass
    Credo from Chepponis' Jubilation Mass
    Sanctus XVIII (Latin and English version from Roman Missal)
    Save us, Savior... from Roman Missal
    Danish Amen
    Agnus Dei XVIII
    Agnus Dei from Isele's Holy Cross Mass

I'm considering teaching a new Mass setting over the summer and using it through the fall. I'm not sure which one yet, or if I'll do that at all.

Currently I use Mass of Wisdom during Christmas, Easter, and solemnities; Mass of Redemption during much of Ordinary Time; and the Kyrie XVI/Sanctus XVIII or Missal/Save Us Savior.../Danish Amen/Agnus XVIII mix during Lent and Advent and also for funerals. I'll also use the "Advent/Lent mix" over the summer to (a) keep it in people's minds and (b) remind them that using chant isn't meant as a "penitential practice." I sprinkle in the rest of the misc. parts at various times throughout the year.