What do you call the handout?
  • Claire H
    Out of curiosity: If you print something specific to the weekend for the congregation to follow the texts/music, what do you call it? I've heard many variations...

"Worship Aid"
    "Order of Worship"
    "Participation Aid"
    "Program" (at weddings)
  • MarkB
    Old joke from the late 1980s:

Q: Do you have worship aids?
    A: I didn't think you could get that from going to Communion.

I heard a well-known composer of liturgical music tell that joke at a conference. I don't think he would do so today given the PC, hypersensitive, perpetually grieved, victim culture that has been cultivated arisen.
  • Service Folder
    Mass Folder
    Mass Leaflet
    anything but 'bulletin' (a bulletin is something else entirely.)
    Thanked by 2chonak cesarfranck
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I've always called it either a "Worship Aid" or an "Order of Worship."

I had a priest-supervisor who strongly preferred "Participation Aid."

I don't really have strong opinions on what it should be called. Your mileage may vary.
  • Order of Worship, or
    Order of Mass

Worship Aid sounds clutzy
    Participation Aid even worse.
    Neither has dignity.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "The Handout". Just kidding, of course. In the same vein:
    If music is included, you might call it "The Scorecard".
    Seriously, though, I agree with Jackson:
    Order of Mass, or
    Order of Worship

Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • “One More Thing to Be Ignored”
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Q: Do you have worship aids?

Well, if you go to a Methodist church, you can usually get a little cup of Worship-Ade to wash down your spongy cube of Pretend Jesus.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Speaking from experience:
    ... you can usually get a little cup ...
    Back in the old days, "usually" could mean once a month or maybe four times a year. But I wonder, why have fun at Methodists' expense?
  • True, we did it once a month, and usually was higher quality stuff than purple drink. But it was still free of alcohol, so to my undiscerning tastes it fell under the genus of Ade
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • CharlesW
    I worked at a Church of Christ (Disciples of Christ) church for several years. They had communion every Sunday, which I understand is not the norm in Protestant churches. The "wine" was grape juice and the bread was the little cubes which seem fairly common.

Worship aides: Only the seasonal missalette and the hymnal. I once had mass cards in the hymnal racks for Lent, when we used a Latin Ordinary. The then pastor complained about pew clutter and the fact someone had to re-rack them and clean up behind messy parishioners.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Carol
    There are a couple of women in our parish who go around after the last Sunday Mass and straighten up each pew. We have OCP hymnals and a card with the English Mass dialogues which were purchased when the translations changed back to "And with your Spirit." I don't think anyone asked the ladies to do this, I think they just took it upon themselves to straighten up. These are the same ladies who attend daily Mass, God bless them.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Music Menu .. for the choir people
    Pew Sheet .. for the pew people
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Liam
    Alms
  • JL
    Many of the (not Catholic) churches where I have worked have combined the leaflet-thingy with the bulletin--liturgy things at the front, announcements at the back. Does anyone here do that? I'm always put off by the church bulletins with a back page full of advertising (and yes, I know that the ads finance the printing of the bulletin, but the idealist in me wants Mass to be an ad-free space. So little else is.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CCooze
  • KARU27
    Yes, I remember being shocked that there was advertising on the back of the bulletin. Of course, now I know that this paper is not what I thought of as the bulletin, it's more of a parish newsletter really, but at the time I though it was the same thing that the Lutherans got at church every week.
    : )
  • I play in an Episcopal church. The congregation has an Order of Worship. The choir has a choir leaflet. Preparing leaflet is very tedious for me but expedites rehearsals as we use multiple resources for music.
  • IMHO, “participation aid” sounds nasty, and “worship aid” sounds even worse.

I always preferred ORDER OF WORSHIP
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Claire H

Order of Worship is what we call the tri-fold congregational handout here. I was just curious to survey.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • francis
    Defective if it replaces the authentic sacred music