Your "private Mass"
  • on the wonderful Watershed blog, I spotted this >> I would be interested to learn how other choirmasters approach mental prayer during Masses at which they conduct a choir.

So would I... !!

We have only one Sunday Mass, so I have to make the most of it.
    15 minutes before start of Mass I always end the run-through, so we can all get situated in choir loft and spend the remaining minutes in prayer. For the rest of the time, it's very broken up (if I were also organist, even that might be impossible, it seems).

(edited to add: the blogger decided to attend a separate Mass in which could be just a person in the pew, more or less.) How about you?
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Madame,

Do you "run through" in the choir loft, or in another room nearby?
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • CGZ - it's done in another room nearby.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Don't know if it helps...

1. It can be useful to take moments here and there. We know when we have time during the Mass where we can take a quick moment of prayer (even a matter of 10-15 seconds). It could be at the Gospel or before the sermon; a moment or two at the end of the Offertory, etc.. Some quick focus of why we do what we do. This can be particularly helpful if the choir (or the director, or the organist!) has just botched something. A quick mental prayer to ask forgiveness, to overcome anger, to put the error in the past so that I can focus on what I need to do next in His service. It can go the other way as well - if the group has done something quite well, with interpretation and evocatively, perhaps a quick moment to thank Him.
    2. There are longer moments as well... I typically kneel during the sermon, for example. Sometimes in mental prayer, sometimes I may be actively considering what I might need to do momently and ensuring everything is prepared - but it is an opportunity to gather oneself in prayer. It also depends on how well I can hear the sermon - if not very well (fault of the sound-system or of the celebrant), prayer rather than struggling with every third thought. Or perhaps reflecting a particular point raised in the sermon and turning it into prayer.
    3. Although not directed to your specific question of mental prayer, I think it important to recognize that the actions we perform are - in and of themselves - a form of prayer. Eons ago... back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth... I was in seminary. I remember a class on Liturgy where the professor explained that the priest doesn't have the luxury of losing himself in prayer during the various parts of the Mass - he must focus on the actions and prayers that are part of the ritual, because the Mass is the worship of the Church, not of the individual. There are, indeed, the Joseph of Cupertinos, the Padre Pios who may legitimately fall into ecstasy during the celebration of the Mass - but for most priests it is a form of presumption to "lose" oneself in private prayer during the Mass.

In a similar vein, we, as choir members, sacrifice a degree of autonomy of prayer when we participate in the Liturgy. St. Therese preached the "little way"... where small things in our day-to-day life, consecrated to God, become in themselves a form of prayer. Our first duty is to the music that provides the setting for the Liturgy - a sacrifice of self and the way we might choose to pray for the benefit of others; a setting aside (on some level at least) of personal prayer and the consolations derived therefrom for the sake of embellishing the worship of God to our fullest extent.
  • SalieriSalieri
    At the Mass at which my choir sings, I try my very best to focus on what I and the choir are doing, and make that my prayer, though I also, as mentioned above, steal a few seconds here and there. During the Canon, however, (and I know this is anathema to those in the Liturgical Movement!) I don't follow the priest's prayers, but recite some devotional prayers (e.g. those from Fr. Lasance's prayer-books), where I can specifically recall my various intentions for that Mass. This is Novus Ordo, BTW, so after the elevation of the Chalice, I have to hop onto the bench to do the silly "Memorial Acclamation" thingy.
  • >> Although not directed to your specific question of mental prayer, I think it important to recognize that the actions we perform are - in and of themselves - a form of prayer.

I agree very much (and would extend this to study, research, planning, practice, even hanging out at the copy store).

I once had a singer who quit the choir precisely because he could not see all the necessary choir activity during Mass as prayer.
  • tomjaw
    Qui enim cantat laudem, non solum laudat, sed etiam hilariter laudat; qui cantat laudem, non solum cantat, sed et amat eum quem cantat. In laude confitentis est praedicatio, in cantico amantis affectio…For he who sings praise, does not only praise, but also praises joyfully; he who sings praise, not only sings, but also loves Him whom he is singing about/to/for. There is a praise-filled public proclamation (praedicatio) in the praise of someone who is confessing/acknowledging (God), in the song of the lover (there is) love.

St Augustine via Fr Z's blog.
  • I’m reminded of the story where Sir Laurence Olivier told a very grungy-looking method actor by the name of Dustin Hoffman, “My dear boy, why not try acting?” The idea being that Hoffman was trying to get in the “moment” by living his character in the scene as it was occurring, whereas Olivier had studied enough beforehand that he could produce the desired effect without having to force all of the needed aspects ‘in the moment’.

So, for those who are inclined to the enthusiastically ‘Method’ approach to Mass (to take a page from Msgr Knox), I would say - my dear boy, why not try preparation?

I always try to read through the texts of what I’m going to be singing in the next week, so I understand the importance of what’s being chanted. If I feel something moving or important at the Offertory or during the Canon of the mass, great. But I remember that part of being music minister is imparting the fruits of my devotion in the music I sing so the rest of the congregation can benefit - an overflowing of my ‘cup’, be it Sippy Cup or Big Gulp. I’m sure this makes me a thorough-going Martha. So be it. But even Martha slaid dragons.
  • Thank you, tomjaw!

I wonder what the mystic author of L'orgue mystique, or of La nativite du seigneur would say about the notion that making music inhibited one's prayerful experience of the mass. This is an unfortunate proposition. If anything, music ministry enhances one's worship. Of course, we all know and occasionally have to defend the certainty that music is integral to the mass, not an add on. Something so integral, a handmaid so beautiful, can only increase the prayerful depths of the worshiping soul, not detract from them; can only intensify one's spiritual gaze. Not only does the church musician increase his own worship, he increases that of the congregation and is, therefore, doubly blessed. It would be helpful if all should read and digest tomjaw's Augustinian quote just above. Truer wisdom has not been spoken.
  • Stimson,

Did you mean Martha SLEW dragons?
  • Yeah. That. Please pardon my late-night grammar.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Carol
    I believe that I do my best singing in church from a technical aspect. The music comes from a place of belief within me and I am not SELF-conscious when I am singing which makes me sing better. If I concentrate on the meaning of what I am singing then it is authentic.
  • Carol
    Can't figure out how to erase duplicate above, sorry.

Update: Did someone erase my duplicate or did I do it and not know I did it?
  • CharlesW
    Some Sundays when I am occupied putting out fires, looking for music our elderly can't find, counting and recording congregational attendance, adjusting sound equipment, playing, directing, on and on, I wonder what good anyone could possibly get out of it. Then someone will tell me they were really touched by the music and their spirit was enriched by it. My thought is always, you mean I did that? Somehow, it does turn out better than I had hoped.
  • Charles -
    We don't often realise how important music is to the faithful, and how deeply they can be affected by it. Your efforts are never in vain. When one contemplates what a miracle, and I do mean a true 'miracle', music is, and what a miraculous thing a choir of humans is, one cannot but give thanks for the gift of music, and for the gift of offering that gift back to God. ('All things come of thee, O Lord; and of thine own have we given thee.')
  • I try to quietly leave church after Mass. Turn off organ. Remove vestments. Gather my belongings. Dodge conversations. Meet my dear wife at car. Just leave! As I am only staff person living within close proximity of church, it is often the case that I am given a laundry list of concerns, complaints, or repairs. Catch me when you can! I like to leave quietly and reflect upon what I have experienced and how God spoke to me. Now, when my good 98 year old friend ambles towards organ, I do stop to visit with him and any of his family. I do not shun others. My experience has been that simply leaving with a prayerful, hopeful, and confident mind and soul keep me in a spirit of prayer. Not really a private mass, but a way to remain focused and faithful.
  • Not from a musician's perspective, but since I have the privilege of serving a Solemn High Mass (UA) on Sundays and once a month a Low Mass, I do find that somehow it is harder to pray when you are so focused on assisting the priest. It is a general rule for servers to do their best to pray during Mass but that may sometimes be difficult when you might miss an important cue, such as the bell at the "Domine, non sum dignus".
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • veromaryveromary
    Our regular EF Mass is preceded by a time of Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and Benediction. I used to try squeeze in some choir practice in that time, but ended up preferring to stay in for whatever Adoration was possible - taking into account random acts of young offspring.

The other choristers are of a pious bent and like to stay in for adoration. I would like to get some sort of choir practice happening, but quiet adoration time outside of Mass is pretty wonderful for filling the cup.

Being alert and singing at Mass isn't incompatible with prayer - just not that quiet sort of prayer, that you also need, but that doesn't have to be at Mass exclusively.
  • Carol
    I used to teach first grade in Catholic school and taking 20 first graders to Mass is NOT a meditative practice. It does build one's patience, hopefully. What was most amazing to me was that I could train these 6 year-olds to sit still, face front, and participate to their ability and then see many of the same children behave miserably in church on Sunday when they were there with their parents! No student left for the bathroom on a First Friday, because we took care of that beforehand. Expectations make all the difference. But in any case it was not a private Mass for the teachers. One of our associate priests enjoyed asking the students open ended questions during the homily and I always felt like I was sitting in a dynamite shack and he was throwing lit matches through the door.
  • I used to attend our early morning low Mass just for myself, which I would leave feeling full of energy and eager to come back to sing later. After we got a new priest I had to stop because going to Mass early in the morning made me want to take a nap and not come back for choir.

Now I make sure that I make some sort of intention for the Mass and my communion, offer up my singing (people seem to forget that what you’re singing is indeed prayer, even hymns), follow along with the collect and readings, do my preparation for communion during the Canon of the Mass, and meditate on whatever our organist is playing when not preoccupied.

Let’s not forget the merit in being faithful to the duties of our state in life (ie: choir).