Missa in D (Brevis & Solemnis)
  • SalieriSalieri
    [Withdrawn]
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Wow, the soprano soloist has a range from A3 to A5 (or is it G5)? And those ornaments in the Benedictus! It would be nice if you could supply sound files, in order to get some idea of the overall sound you are aiming for. Double stops of a 10th or 11th are pretty tricky: in the Qui Sedes, why not have Vln I take the top two notes and Vln II take the bottom two notes of the four notes you have assigned as simultaneous double stops (there are others elsewhere, e.g. in the Christe eleison)? There are some iffy double & triple stops in the Quoniam. The whole note triple stop at the end of the Domini Fili (and in bar 8 of the Kyrie) might sound a little strange if sustained and not at anything approaching forte/fortissimo (is that what you intend?).

Rule of thumb (fingers? strings?) ... A double stop can only involve two adjacent strings, so (unless one note is an open string), check the stretch necessary for the two notes to be played simultaneously and realize that an interval of a 10th or 11th (or greater) requires very long fingers (fingers one and four will be required to play large interval double stops). For a tripe stop (unless the top or bottom note is on an open string), work from the string for the bottom note up on the three adjacent strings and check for fingerings.

These observations are from a very quick and rather cursory look at the score ... I've not had access to an instrument (piano/organ/harpsichord/keyboard) on which to give it a fair try. And, as mentioned above, a sound file for such a score would be a big help.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanks for your comments. I will try to upload some sound files.

I try not to put dynamics into scores when I'm drafting, because the midi interface in the notation software interprets them, and they never seem right, so I wait until the very end. The opening of the Kyrie should be ff. The chords in bar 8 of the Kyrie, and at the end of the Domini Fili should be written as a semibreve on the top note, and crotchets on the bottom note(s).

I have been thinking about adding a Viola part, to enlarge the string section to a full string quartet, rather than the "Salzburg" string section that I am currently writing for--this may help alleviate so many of the double- and triple-stops.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    'Rule of thumb' is more of a cello thing ;-) but otherwise Chuck is right on. In m. 4 of the Gloria beat 4 you can avoid tenths and make things much easier and perhaps more graceful by having f''a'ff''a' in vln I instead of skipping to d'. At mm 11 & 12 of IV Qui tollis, it's almost guaranteed that the violins will confer and swap notes in mm 11 & 12, perhaps without even telling you so to your face.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Salieri
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    About the "Rule of Thumb" being more of a cello thing ... I wish I had caught that pun!! Thanks Richard!!
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanks for your help, but I have decided to stop working on this piece.