Director of Religious Education - Charlottesville, VA
  • I am not sure where to post this so that orthodox eyes will read it, so I thought I'd start here. I'm the music director at this parish, BTW.

Holy Comforter Catholic Church in Charlottesville, VA, is seeking a new FT director of religious ed. We are an OF parish with an almost weekly EF as well. The church is slowly recovering from 20+ years of poor pastors. Our current pastor has worked hard to bring families back (the previous one didn't like children...ugh!) and is well on his way to re-strengthening the parish. We still have a ways to go (which is why it's quite remarkable we have an EF!), but we are overall headed in the right direction. Things to consider for this position:

- I think a DRE at this parish should be ready to defend the Faith as there are still strains of heterodoxy left from the aforementioned disastrous period.
    - We are landlocked downtown, so parking can be a problem when scheduling activities.
    - Younger families tend to be more devout and a number of families with older children are always busy with activities, making anything beyond Sunday school difficult. Our DRE made a presentation to the PC and mentioned the idea of having occasional combined parent-children classes, which I think is an excellent idea.
    - Father is Ugandan and comes from a Benedictine background. He was called to service by the Diocese (Richmond). He is very reserved and prayerful and deeply faithful but would benefit from a DRE with a clear vision for the program and the ability to reconcile his cultural way of seeing things with those of the parish without compromising on matters of the Faith.

I don't want to scare folks away, but you should know what you're getting into. She leaves at the end of June, so there's still time to think and pray on this. Let me know if you'd be interested! 8brahms8@gmail.com

Many thanks,
    Daniel Kirkland
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions