Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman, Gladsome News -
  • Cardinal Newman has, by the grace of God, achieved sainthood.
    Pope Francis approved the canonisation process on Tuesday, 12th February 2019.
    Let the bells be rung, for this is news worthy of a solemn Te Deum.
  • Absolutely!
  • Rather than start a new thread, I'll put this here because it is related to the Ordinariate.
    A third Ordinariate parish is being formed in Houston, in The Woodlands, a suburb north of Houston. With the cathedral and St Margaret of Scotland in a western suburb, that makes three parishes in our see city. The title of the new parish is not yet known. It is due to begin in March. They will be meeting for a while at a nearby Catholic church.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen tomjaw
  • Will they be searching for a music director?
  • Will they...
    I don't know.
    I just found out about them last night.
    I assume so.
    You may be sure that I am 'looking into it'.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Mr. Osborn,

Given that the Anglican Ordinariate manages only a faint blip on the national Catholic radar screen, I’m very curious why it has thrived in the Houston area. One wouldn’t automatically make anglophile associations with Texas culture (ranches, oil rigs, Austin City Limits, Friday night football, etc.).

Why are you doing so well in Texas?
  • chonakchonak
    At least two of the Texas congregations in the Ordinariate existed prior to it.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    They do have Skinners proving they had excellent tastes at one time, cowboys not withstanding.

Right about those existing congregations.

Rumor has it the Ordinariate folks and predecessors fled the axes, pitchforks and torches of the Alpha mobs beating down their doors in the dark of night.
    Their thinking was, "no one will ever look for us in Texas."
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Mr Nichols -
    I really can't answer your question. It is Walsingham which has given birth to the two other parishes in the Houston area. The most recent one, in The Woodlands, is a mission being started by a hundred or so Walsingham members who drive the thirty or so miles into Houston every Sunday and holy day. It seems proper that they should begin a new parish in this very prosperous Houston suburb.

Walsingham is bursting at the seams, so a mission for those who drive great distances seems fitting.

Despite common impressions, there are civilised people in Texas. You just have to know where to look for them - just as there is some very beautiful scenery in Texas, but it's not around Houston. Texas is not all oil wells, ranches, and such. Houston is known for NASA, its medical centre, but also for its symphony orchestra, opera, ballet, numerous early music societies, a fine collection of organs by the finest builders, museum of fine arts, three universities, etc., etc.
  • chonakchonak
    Does some credit also belong to the anglo-catholic commitment of the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth? If I understand right, they, despite their name, aren't part of the Episcopal Church any more.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Chonak, can you elaborate? Your comment was news to me. I looked up their home page on the internet and they seem to be quite Episcopalian. They are even having Madame Schori as a guest speaker at St Christopher's church during Lent.

Here is a list of our Ordinariate parishes in Texas -
    1. The Cathedral of Our Lady of Walsingham, Houston
    2. St Margaret of Scotland, Houston (Katy)
    3. Title not yet known, Houston (The Woodlands)
    4. Our Lady of the Atonement, San Antonio
    5. St Mary the Virgin, Arlington
    6. St Michael and All Angels, Dennison
    7. St Timothy's, Fort Worth
    8. St John Vianney, Cleburne

It does seem that we have more parishes in Texas than in any other state or province.
    All told, there are forty-three parishes in the US and Canada.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    There are two:
    The controversial separation between it and the identically named Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth in the Episcopal Church arose out of events in 2008, when the 26th annual convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth voted to remove the diocese from the Episcopal Church and join the Anglican Church of the Southern Cone.
    https://episcopaldiocesefortworth.org/ and http://www.fwepiscopal.org/