1934 Supplementum ad Kyriale
  • Josh
    Until tonight I had never heard of Canticum Solomonis, but thanks to a reference to it in an article posted on the New Liturgical Movement, I looked through it, and found an amazing resource, posted under the title of Easter Gift: Supplement to the Kyriale.

This Supplementum ad Kyriale was compiled at the famous monastery of Santo Domingo de Silos, published in 1934: it contains ten settings of the Kyrie, two of the Gloria, two of the Credo, four of the Sanctus, and two of the Agnus Dei. I hope that others may find this a useful and indeed delightful discovery and resource.

• I look forward to singing through these new settings, particularly as the Silos ad libs of the Tenebrae lessons are stunningly beautiful.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • RevAMG
    I cleaned up the originally uploaded PDF and split the pages in half. What an interesting resource! Thank you!
  • I love Canticum Salomonis. They have excellent articles on troped Introits and Epistles.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Now I'm wondering about the manuscript sources for these chants and what the latin texts of the Kyrie are.
  • After looking through this, I was thinking of having our schola (TLM) try the "Credo I" setting. This may sound a bit scrupulous, but do the current rules in place for the TLM allow the use of chant settings not contained in the main Kyriale?
  • tomjaw
    @Carolus16

I see no reason and do not know of a rule as to why we cannot use the settings here, many choirs sing polyphonic settings and they are not in the Vatican Kyriale.
  • a_f_hawkins
    For the scrupulous, De musica sacra #16(b) says that the priest and ministers must use 'Gregorian chant, as published in the typical editions' but when the choir responds it says only 'Gregorian chant', without that qualification.
    #17 gives blanket permission for sacred polyphony if the choir is competent.
  • tomjaw
    @a_f_hawkins

'Gregorian chant, as published in the typical editions'

What does this mean... I don't think the 'typical editions' have all the Chants authorised in the 1962 Calendar! Also they will not have the local Propers also mandated by the Rubrics. Also this is from a supplement, that I suspect is from the back of a Liber, and has all the usual imprimatur etc. as any other supplement.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Sorry @tomjaw its an SCR Instruction (1958), above my pay grade. But the clerics don't sing the Gradual propers or even the Ordinary, and my point (for those with scruples) was that it doesn't affect the choir/schola. Perhaps this rule is the reason why one can sometimes find an old recording where the priest intones and then the choir launches into something in a different mode.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, the Church does not intend to command the impossible.
  • tomjaw
    where the priest intones and then the choir launches into something in a different mode.

Oh this is interesting, you will sometime here this at our Church, the first reason is the Missal (or at least our copies) only has some of the intonations from the Vatican Kyriale. The other reason is many priests do not know all the intonations, so if we are doing an Ordinary that the priest does not know we will get him to sing one he does know.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins