Purification/Presentation chant: Exsurge Domine
  • In preparation for Feb 2, Candlemas, I am wondering why Fortescue - O'Connell "Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described" instructs the following:

"The antiphon Exsurge Domine, etc., is no longer sung after the distribution has been completed." St. Austin Press 1996, p.261.

Another less pressing question...the "choir" often referred to clergy in choir stalls within the Sanctuary. Is it possible for a schola to sing in this fashion, especially for feasts such as Candlemas where rubrics directly involve the choir? Pope Benedict XVI and many other Popes have written about the elevated role of the choir; yet our common day idea is much more "congregational."

Nathan
  • Nathan, Yes, a schola "serves" as the liturgical choir and may be seated in stalls if they exist. According to Pius XII, the schola must be all male in order to don the necessary cassock and surplice. Anywhere in Fortescue-O'Connell, where it says "choir", a lay schola may substitute. I would think, however, that the instructions about birettas and other priestly attire would be disregarded.
  • priorstf
    Michael - Our schola is predominantly female. At the moment we simply dress in black. Would it be more appropriate for males to wear cassock/surplice and females wear albs, or should we simply not disturb the force?!
  • njknutson: The antiphon Exsurge Domine seems to have been taken out of the Candlemas ceremony around 1961. I would also appreciate if someone could confirm this definitively. My 1961 Graduale doesn't mention it; my 1959 Liber includes it. It's the same chant used at the beginning of the Rogation processions.

For "choir," see also p 46 of Fortescue-O'Connor. The (all-male) schola at St. Alphonsus in Baltimore sings from the sanctuary during the summer because the air-conditioning equipment in the choir loft makes a lot of noise. For practical, musical reasons, we sing in a semi-circle on the side of the sanctuary rather than the classic center-facing rows.

I've read about a parish in Washington with a big music program in the 20s-30s that had a men and boys schola in the sanctuary, plus a men and women's choir in the back gallery. There may have been organs in both locations as well.
  • A female schola is just not envisaged by the existing documents (outside of religious communities). We also have a mixed group for which I have to make this decision. Since we alternate male and female groups at Mass, we will place ourselves just outside the sanctuary. In so doing, I think it's ok to dress everyone in albs. The cassock and surplice is intended for those serving in the sanctuary as I understand it. These are the types of things we have to work out in the modern age, I guess.
  • Thank you Michael and David. My schola is men only, so this is wonderful news. I believe we can find enough cassock/surplice; there are only 4 of us currently, so we probably will remain in the semi-circle, although antiphonal singing is possible.

http://web.mac.com/njknutson/Schola/Prelude.html

God bless!