recitation tone
  • I've been told by the director of the Gregorian schola I sing with that one should choose the pitch of Do so that the recitation tone will be A.
    How do you deal with it? The problem with this is that one might need to sing as low as Bb (which is low for a tenor who dont have the low notes as well). It is something I can sing but it isn't as easy as higher notes. I forgot the name of the chant (with the lower notes) I was thinking about. It is one of those that we will sing on Sunday in OF.
    What are your thoughts?
  • chonakchonak
    There's no fixed rule about this; chant is written in a movable-Do system and the pitch can be adjusted according to the group. Some pieces with a broad range make the choice of pitch not so easy.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen regissør
  • I see but the director told me the recitation tone should be be A. At least in our schola.
  • As Chonak points out, pitch in chant is purely arbitrary, depending on the singers' range and the chant's tessitura. It is, though, your choirmaster's (very eccentric) prerogative to insist that all reciting tones (in his or her jurisdiction) always be A.
  • Elmar
    [...] chant is written in a movable-Do system [...]

I may be mistaken, but I thought it was more complicated than that.

As far as I know, some manuscripts - before the invention of the 'ut-re-mi-fa-sol-la' by Guido of Arezzo - show letters indicating pitch, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiphonary_of_St._Benigne (is that a reliable source?) ranging from 'a' to 'p'.
    That means they span two octaves - isn't that indicative of some notion of absloute pitch ascribed to the neumes below which they were written?
    Or are there chants with tonal ranges that so many letters are needed even in a 'movable' system?

Further, the 'Guidonian hand' showing the match between letter-tones and moving 'ut-la' hexachords ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guidonian_hand ; reliable source?) has letters running from Gamma (below A) through ee over almost 3 octaves. Again, doesn't that mean (even if this use of letter-tones is of later date) that letters were somehow considered as reperesenting (more or less) fixed pitches in the first place?

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • And yet, MJO, you are really suggesting similar criteria without the specificity of a particular pitch. The "reciting tone"; the "dominant"; the "tessitura" are all looking at the same thing - where will my singers be hanging out pitch-wise for the better part of this piece?

Nearly always, I try to pitch the piece based on the voice of the cantor(s). For the lower voices, that typically puts the dominant around A... sometimes a half-step higher or lower, but typically around A. For higher-voiced cantors, I typically find that raising the pitch from 2-3 half-steps works well which would correspondingly raise the dominant. I base it on the cantors because typically the cantors sing the verse (Gradual / Alleluia / Tract / Introit / sometimes Communion or Offertory) and in a sense are most likely to manage the piece if adjustments need to be made - I would prefer they are most comfortable with the range.

Just my 2 cents...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Perhaps A is the best note for your schola, based on the ranges of the singers. We don't always use the exact same reciting tone, but if the reciting tone is going to fall too high (ie will not resonate nicely, will become strained with repetition) we sing the antiphon a bit lower than we'd like to get a comfortable reciting tone.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Actually, I usually take a pitch from 'thin air' after consideration of the tessitura and mood of the chant. I also recommend that my cantors do the same. But then, we don't (and never will!) accompany our chant. Only for those who like their chant accompanied does the necessity for a specific pitch relative to an instrument and our A=440 system arise. (Nor, I should think, would it have arisen for our chant ancestors.) Too, I have absolute pitch (though it is not quite as absolute as it used to be), so having to rely on a tuning fork, pitch pipe, or a tacky organ 'note', is not a necessity for me.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Chant repertoire was originally transmitted by oral teaching and rote learning. Only later was it written down at all, and for a long time in staffless notation.

David Hiley's book Western Plainchant is available on-line and contains an overview of the development of chant notation at p. 360f:
    https://epub.uni-regensburg.de/25558/1/ubr12760_ocr.pdf

Since the use of staffs and the invention of pitch-letter notation by theorists were later inventions, I'm not sure it's reasonable to look to them as signs of a pre-existing tradition of standardized pitch. Not even organs had standardized pitch then, did they?
  • SalieriSalieri
    It depends on who is singing. If the whole choir is singing, I tend to have Do at A (or A flat if earlier in the morning); if only the Basses, maybe G; if only the Sopranos maybe B flat or B natural; if it's myself cantoring alone on a weekday (I'm a tenor, and prefer singing higher than lower), then I usually use C as Do. But, all that can change based on the piece, time of day, who is sick, etc. I very often will start rehearsing in A, then, if I don't like the way it sounds, I move it up or down. It can even depend on the room: my church favors the sharp end of things in C, G, D, ...

Also, if I really want to do an alternatim organ performance, and Frescobaldi (or whomever) has put mode VII in F with one flat (making G the dominant) then we will sing in that key--even if otherwise I would have moved the dominant up or down in unaccompanied performance.

The only hard and fast rule is to put it in the key that is most accessible for your singers--it just so happens that often this is A.

Too, I think that when learning chant (which is probably the best way to begin learning music, period!) a consistent A Tenor/Reciting-Tone/Dominant as a reference pitch is good because it can train the ear to recognize that pitch. I don't have perfect pitch, as such, but I can usually pick an A out of thin air after singing chant for so long.