Midnight Mass from Notre Dame, Paris, 1948
  • vansensei
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Z61iN9wZ4

This is one of the first televised Masses ever from Notre Dame, in Paris. Pontifical Mass of Christmas.

Some things I noticed:

- The schola started the Gloria on "Laudamus te"
    - It is the weirdest conducting I have ever seen, but compared to the choir from St. Vibiana's in 1944, they're not a bad ensemble.
    - What is the choir singing? I can't make it out.
    - Only one candle to the side of who is reading the Gospel.
    - Lots of organ, as is typical of Notre Dame,
    - Feels kind of rushed.
  • quilisma
    Odd: they sing Mass IX, but the celebrant intones Gloria VIII...
    Not sure the sound is always in sync with the images.
    The conductor seems to be actually squeezing the sound out of those choir boys!
    Strange rendition of Il est né le divin enfant - what is that hollering?
  • Odd: they sing Mass IX, but the celebrant intones Gloria VIII...

In these parts, this oddity has been…maintained (on a celebrant-by-celebrant basis).
    Thanked by 3cmb CHGiffen tomjaw
  • Re. the Gloria IX with Gloria VIII intonation: this is one way to deal with the *low* relative range of the incipit of Gloria IX. We sometimes just pitch the Gloria IX incipit up a 5th.
  • Why on earth would they sing Regina Caeli at Christmas???
  • MarkS
    Was there a link? I do not see one.
  • Why on earth...
    Well, it makes as much sense to sing Regina Caeli at Christmas as it does to sing Salve Regina at Christmastide and all year 'round to boot, which far more than a few people - including clerics who should know better - do.
  • Jackson,

...or, Mass VIII all year round.
  • Well, it makes as much sense to sing Regina Caeli at Christmas as it does to sing Salve Regina at Christmastide and all year 'round to boot, which far more than a few people - including clerics who should know better - do.
    Singing the Salve year round does make some sense though. After all, it is used in the Leonine Prayers and at the conclusion of the Rosary year round, without exception.
  • And the text for the Salve Regina isn't necessarily specific to any particular time of year. But the Regina Caeli?

℣. Regina cæli, lætare, alleluia:
    ℟. Quia quem meruisti portare, alleluia,
    ℣. Resurrexit, sicut dixit, alleluia,

...it's just a little preemptive this time of year.
    Thanked by 1madorganist