CPDL at 20 years!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Today, December 28th, 2018, marks twenty years since the founding and first posting of a handful of scores of the Choral Public Domain Library (CPDL.org) by Rafael Ornes. CPDL provides freely downloadable music scores in the Public Domain as well as scores made available to CPDL by contemporary composers for free download.

Since CPDL was ported to its current ChoralWiki site in 2005, the number of score pages has grown to 10,000 by 1439 composers in 2009, then doubled to 20,000 score pages by about 2550 composers in 2015, and this year passed the 30,000 mark (31,149 by 3194 composers as I write). This year alone, there have been 3425 new score pages created for works previously not available at CPDL, well above the goal of 3200 which was reached on November 30th.

Some 67% of our scores are of sacred music, and 33% are of secular music.

Distribution of score pages by musical era:

2%   Medieval music
    42%   Renaissance music
    12%   Baroque music
    10%   Classical music
    14%   Romantic music
      3%   Early 20th century music
    16%   Modern music

Clearly, Renaissance music dominates our collection, while Modern music (and hence not Public Domain but generously provided by composers) leads the rest of the categories. Without the significant contributions of scores and the hard working efforts of editors and administrators at CPDL, this success would never have been possible. To these and to our many users who visit the ChoralWiki site to download scores, obtain (and provide) information, we offer heartfelt thanks for making CPDL the valuable and crucial resource for choral music that it enjoys.

Charles H. Giffen
    President, Choral Public Domain Library
    Manager, ChoralWiki
  • mahrt
    This has been extremely useful; I use it all the time. I especially like the web site of Nancho Alvarez, who offers good transcriptions of all the works of Victoria, Morales, and Guerrero.
    Today I tried to access a piece on this site, it and got a message "Malware warning" This website might damage your computer. It would not allow passage to the website, but rather the options it allowed simply referred back to the page which listed the piece. What has happened?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jes
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'll have to check into the Alvarez "Malware warning".
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I got a similar warning, and I've posted about it in the administrators section of the CPDL forum. If I don't hear back within a day, I'll go ahead and try the site anyway.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with the CPDL site at all. This is a problem with www.uma.es which hosts works edited by Nancho Alvarez.
  • Kathy
    CPDL is such a gift to the world. Thank you, Charles!!
  • canadashcanadash
    I totally agree Kathy! Imagine those places where people really can't afford music or where it can't be shipped? It is amazing!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Re: Nancho Alvarez site (www.uma.es).

The problem seems to be fixed now, since I got no "Malware warning" message today.
  • JesJes
    Dear @CHGiffen
    Thank you so much for all your work.
    @stimsoninrehab and I were discussing about you and your generosity just this past couple of hours ago.

I’m in America... should really try say hi to you.
    Jes
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks, @jes ... and I have some Tim-Tams!!!!
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • francis
    Charles

We are gratefully indebted to you and your efforts with CPDL not to mention the many outstanding compositions that you also share with us.

God’s continued blessing on you and yours.

In JMJ,

Francis Koerber
  • Out of curiosity, Charles - what was the first piece ever posted on CPDL?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm not sure, but I think 6 pieces were posted that first day. Exact details were probably lost when CPDL was ported to the ChoralWiki site in 2005.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw