• quilisma
    Ever noticed how close Good King Wenceslas and Old McDonald might be...?
    Well, last night they got closer than ever when one of our soloists slipped into the latter during v2 in our Nine lessons and Carols.
    Of course, to remain fully professional and stop anyone noticing the slip, the next soloist did more or less the same...!

Let's call it...one song to the tune of another. The BBC Radio 4 programme "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" exploits this to great comic effect.
  • stulte
    That's right up there with a story my former pastor told me about how the choir at a former parish of his started singing Tantum Ergo to the melody of Oh My Darling Clementine. He then started to demonstrate that the words do fit the melody....yeah...
    Thanked by 1CeciliaJulia
  • "Tantum Ergo" to the tunie of O My Darling Clementine... is a new low.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You might try singing 'On Jordan's Bank the Baptist's Cry' to Hernando's Hideaway.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • a_f_hawkins
    Inspired by this recording of Hernando's Hideaway I suggest castanets for the clackers sought in another thread.
    Thanked by 3Carol CHGiffen eft94530
  • francis
    Castanets... what fishermen do?
  • Any CM text (and half the oeuvre of Emily Dickinson) to The Yellow Rose of Texas.
  • GambaGamba
    Old McDonald is also reflected in the first four notes of the introit “Os justi”; as pointed out to me by my high school students, when we were preparing for Mass last week (St. John of the Cross).
  • Carol
    Our choir is singing the "Bach Noel" this year and there is a part near the end where the melody goes in a downward trend. It was giving me a little trouble until I realized it was the same as the last few notes of the "Final Jeopardy" music, (not counting the bump- bump). If you don't watch the TV trivia show Jeopardy with Alex Trebek this will make no sense to you, of course.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • You can put just about anything to the tune of “House of the Rising Sun.” And for a fun exploration of pop music, search for Axis of Awesome on YouTube.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Chaswjd
    Stepping up on my soap box . . .
    Good King Wenceslas is not a Christmas carol. It happens on the Feast of Stephen.
    Getting don from my soap box now . . .

BTW Anyone ever done Amazing Grace to the tune of the theme song of Gilligan’s Island?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW cesarfranck
  • CharlesW
    Amazing Grace also works with Ghost Riders in the Sky.
  • Carol
    Conversely (sort of) you can sing "Gift of Finest Wheat" to the tune for "Amazing Grace." Not sure why you'd do it, but it is possible.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen cesarfranck
  • ...Not sure why you'd do it...
    Speaking of horrors, one can also sing 'What a Friend We Have in Jesus' to Hyfrydol. (Not sure why you'd do it.)
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Carol Kathy
  • G

BTW Anyone ever done Amazing Grace to the tune of the theme song of Gilligan’s Island?

Haas or. Someone beat ypu to it with "The Wood of the Cross"
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck Carol
  • Friends! I am sure you know that almost any carol or hymn may be agonizingly accompanied with "Canon in D" by Pachelbel. And some folks in pews love it. Just shows a lack of creativity or imagination. Ditto for using "Jesu, Joy." Ugh!
  • Carol
    Thanks for the horrible comparison of "Behold the Wood" to "Gilligan's Island!" It will make a great point of conversation sometime over the next few days among my family of church musicians. I hate the thought of Good Friday now, though.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I have a deacon - yes, the 11th plague inflicted on the heathens was deacons - I am certain of that. I have tried to get him to learn a better tune but can't get him off "The Wood of the Cross." Needless to say the thought of putting him on a cross has occurred to me. I think he learned that when he was assigned to St. Joan Baez by the Dam with the relevant and trendy crowd. Save us, O Lord.

Actually, he's a pretty good man so we have to keep him around. But his musical tastes - URGHHHHH.

Thanked by 1Carol
  • eft94530eft94530
    Helping this Discussion wear a santa hat ..

I like pairing the Amazing Grace text with the Joy To The World score.

• this whole thread makes me run screaming. AAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW

• of course... then there's "To Jesus' Heart All Burning", which can be sung to the Marine's Hymn. https://open.spotify.com/track/31I2aCZzHqImp7QZvAEYp8?si=gGO58lGjTYOz2qj5g9qIAw
    Talk about Church Militant.