Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer - Gregorian Chant
  • IdeK
    I stumbled upon this. What on earth is that ?

Rudolf the rednosed reindeer

Would you sing it at mass ?

• tomjaw
    Would you sing it at mass ?

No, NO, NOOOOOO...
  • a_f_hawkins
    It is intended for amusement. There is an amusement category on this forum, and I think it has been mentioned there, along with Frigus vir nivis.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • Liam
    Too many semiological open questions in the manuscript....
  • (self-deleted)
  • ghmus7
    It does not seem to belong to the early group of early St. Gall mss.
    Thanked by 2cesarfranck igneus
  • Am I really typing lol?
  • chonakchonak
    IIRC, the song was written by Eugenius Autrius in the year MCMXL.
  • Every year, right before Christmas, there's a "Christmas showdown" at a local bistro between the Episcopalians and the Catholics as to whose group can sing better. There's a partition in the restaurant, and the two groups stand on either side and sing loud enough that the other group can hear. I have been drafted to sing into this a couple times by the fellow in charge of the Papist side, since "we have to show those Episcopalians who's boss". He takes it super seriously; they have multiple rehearsals beforehand in order to get into battle formation, and he's even called choir directors in from out of town in order to sing.

Anyhow, I suggested one year we sing this piece [Renato erat Rudolphus]. Director shoots it down immediately. As a matter of fact, he shoots down any sort of Gregorian Chant for this "carol-off". Says 'the group doesn't have time'. I should probably mention at this point that the director and most of his cronies are ROTR folk, whose parish prides itself on setting the standard for the diocese - but never sings chant. So afterwards I wander over to the Anglican side, as we do at the end of this battle royale, and they're all on board for singing this.

So, the lesson to be learned from all this? This year if I'm called upon to participate, I'll probably go over to the Anglican side to sing with them. You'd probably say I'm a traitor for doing so, but it's not like I'm the only Catholic who would be doing so - I have plenty of other Papist friends singing with them as well. And honestly, if you take yourselves so seriously in such a joyous time as not to have room for a little levity (especially in pieces paying tribute to our own cultural heritage), well - in such cases filial piety only goes so far!
  • Carol
    I am definitely a country girl, but opportunities for events such as Stimson describes do tempt me to pull up stakes and move to a city where I could broaden my musical options. This sounds like fun!
    Thanked by 1Incardination