Quick Question: Ubi Caritas
  • GavinGavin
    What was the function of Ubi Caritas before the Holy Week reforms of the 50s?
  • G
    It was one of the antiphons for the Mandatum, Washing of the Feet, (which I think may have taken place outside of Mass -- maybe at Vespers?)

Save the Liturgy, Save the World
  • I actually don't see it used for Holy Week in the pre-50's rituals, even in the office. Couldn't find any reference to it in the Vesperale Romanum, either.
  • GavinGavin
    Was the Mandatum a part of Holy Week and just not in Mass prior to the reforms, Geri?

This is all rather trivial, but I'm painfully curious.
  • In the Liber Usualis, Ubi Caritas is the last (viii) of the chants for the Mandatum-
    the rubrics stated "it is never omitted." In the new Graduale it was moved to
    the Offertorium. So we now sing the chant as a congregational hymn; have the
    reception of the Holy Oils w/ "O Redemptor," then as the priest prepares the gifts, the choir sings Durufle's setting.
  • I just checked the 1871 Graduale Romanum (Ratisbon). In that edition the
    Holy Thursday Mass is celebrated, after which there is the procession of the
    Blessed Sacrament to the Altar of Repose w/ "Pange lingua," afterward, the
    Altars of the church are stripped, while "Deus, Deus meus" is chanted, then "at
    the convenience of the clergy," the Mandatum is performed with the appointed
    antiphons, (I thought it interesting that "Benedicta sit sancta Trinitas" is one
    of the antiphons in this edition). Here the "Ubi caritas" is the final antiphon.
  • G
    My oldest Liber is 1934, and the Mandatum is in there, but after Mass.
    I think I've been told that before the reforms of the '50s when it was restored to parish liturgy, the Foot washing was a common Holy (Maundy? remember the origin of the word,) Thursday feature in monastic and other community life.

IIRC this fact, that it had customarily been performed in some convents by the Abbess for her nuns was part of the reasoning behind defying the rubrics in many dioceses and admitting women, girls and boys to the "viri" selected to have a foot washed.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • GavinGavin
    Thanks!