Music for the laying-on of hands?
  • PLTT
    I'm looking for recommendations for music/texts during the laying on of hands by priests at a priestly ordination.

The liturgical books do not prescribe anything. However, the MC is insisting on something, because the period of silence will be too long.

From what I have seen, many places use the Veni Creator or Veni Sancte. I do not want to use that, or a similar text, because:
    (a) I feel it opens the rite to misinterpretation and gives it more prominence - the laying on of hands is a collegial gesture signifying incorporation.
    (b) the Veni Creator is used in second edition of the Rites of Ordination only for Bishops.
    (c) even in the first edition of the ordination rites, and in the historic Roman practice, it was never used before the Prayer of Ordination but rather to accompany/follow the vesting of the newly ordained.

So I am looking for other suggestions. My thought was a Kyrie of some sort, as best fitting with the tenor of prayerful supplication, but others were not too enthusiastic.

• PLTT,

Veni Creator Spiritusshows up all over the place Here's just a smattering of such occurences:

1) On January 1st, it is sung to invoke the blessings of God on the new calendar year. On December 31st, Te Deum is sung to thank God for the blessings of the calendar year just completed.

2) On the day of confirmation. I forget exactly where it falls within the liturgy.

3) At the opening of a Papal Conclave

4) At Pentecost.

What I think these have in common is a special invocation of the gifts of the Holy Ghost. It would seem, on those grounds, to be appropriate for the imposition of Holy Orders.

As to other texts/music, would the litany of the Saints be proper?
  • My understanding is that it is supposed to be in silence. Not near any books to double-check this.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • fcbfcb
    As to other texts/music, would the litany of the Saints be proper?

It is already part of the Ordination liturgy itself.
  • ronkrisman
    Ceremonial of Bishops, no. 532:
    Next all the concelebrating presbyters and all other presbyters present, provided they are vested with a stole worn over an alb or over a cassock and surplice, lay their hands on each of the candidates, in silence...
  • "He Touched Me"
    (I don't know how to do purple text on here, but I couldn't resist this one.)
  • Liam
    Or, depending on the bishop, "Noli Me Tangere"?
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • PLTT
    Fr. Ron, technically, the Latin says "nihil dicens", which indicates that those laying hands do not say anything, but would not of itself prohibit others (e.g. choir) from singing a text, nor instrumental music, during this time.....
  • ronkrisman
    @PLTT, you are correct about the Latin. I do not have a copy of the most recent approved English translation of the Ordination of Presbyters, but all earlier translations, going back to the late 1960's, have translated "nihil dicens" as "in silence." And in 50 years of attending ordinations, I have never once heard music during that part of the ritual.
  • francis
    The last ordination I went to they did the Taize two note version... silence would have been better.
  • Every ordination I have attended the laying on of hands has always been done in silence. No music. What’s wrong with silence?