QUESTIONS FOR ROME
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I would like to start a database of questions that need to be submitted to Rome.

For instance:

(1) What are the rules regarding use of organ in the new Rite? Is it possible to commit a sin by playing organ at Mass as an interlude during Lent?
  • My questions would center on discrepancies between Roman and American directives. For example, take this little tidbit from the GIRM:

86. While the priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion chant is begun. Its purpose is to express the communicants' union in spirit by means of the unity of their voices, to show joy of heart, and to highlight more clearly the "communitarian" nature of the procession to receive Communion. The singing is continued for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful.

How naughty am I if ignore this and play meditative organ music?
  • chonakchonak
    Naughty? Under Musicam sacram 28-31, it's not a violation to omit the communion proper. It's merely adapting "according to the capabilities of each congregation."
  • in following this, how do we also allow our schola to receive Holy Communion? a practical consideration encountered by almost everyone...
  • Kathy
    Why not sing a Psalm? If sung in a responsorial manner, this both suits the character of a processional chant and makes it possible for almost the whole choir (everyone but the cantor of the verses and the organist, if applicable) to receive Communion during the procession time.

It would be easy to sing the antiphon for the refrain, psalm tone verses, and twenty-three skiddoo!
  • GavinGavin
    I would like to know what place unofficial (all) translations of the propers hold. Do they satisfy the requirement of the proper, or are they the "fourth option"?
  • Kathy
    I like to think of them as "1b". Textually, I think this is valid.

Musically--well that's a whole new discussion.
  • francis
    all approved translations for responsorial psalms. Have previously approved translations been abrogated?