Looking for an easy chant in adiastemic notation
  • Heath
    I'm teaching an "Intro to Gregorian Chant" series for some home schooled middle schoolers. I would love to teach them a chant via rote using the pre-Guido manuscript tradition (i.e. just text and "squiggles"); any recommendations for an easy proper or antiphon (which has a surviving manuscript) that I could use for this group (most of whom are non-musicians)?

Thanks!

Thanked by 1Jeffrey Morse
  • Heath
    Joerg, thanks for sharing that fantastic site! I did not know of it previously...
  • joerg
    I find this short antiphon a good example as it contains the four basic neumes virga, tractulus, clivis, and pes. Moreover the first three virgae denote an upwards motion of the melody so that the melody is basically fixed by the neumes and the mode.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Heath
    YES. Taught it yesterday, thanks a million!
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    I'd suggest the Communio "Qui manducat" as a good option for future consideration.

http://gregorianik.uni-regensburg.de/gr/#id/716
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Heath
    Vilyanor, I always say that Qui Manducat is the *perfect* teaching piece...it has everything! You can teach the quilisma, liquescent, porrectus, bistropha, Ti/Te...it's got it all!
  • JesJes
    You could always teach a psalm tone if you want to start with fewer "squiggles" and move to add more.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • JesJes
    chantposter

Dunno if this is helpful at all? I made it a whilst back for someone special but I'm hoping to work out a way to copy it for music rehearsal space walls or as a reference booklet.
    Thanked by 1Heath