Rep suggestions for Lessons & Carols, in public domain?
  • Does anyone have any suggestions for a cappella Lessons & Carols repertoire that is in the public domain? I have a 16-voice choir, all professional, and am wondering if the fine folks here can help me expand my horizons as I search for interesting works for the group.

I'll be making a recording of the service, and it will be for sale, and we would like to avoid as much of the SongFile licensing hassle (and expense) as possible. (There will be some in-copyright music, but it is prohibitive to do an entire album of licensed material.)

Aside from Gregorian Chant and O Magnum (Victoria), what choral rep would you want to do at your L&C service that's public domain? And what hymns?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • I could be more specific later, but for the nonce you might look into Oxford's One Hundred Carols for Choirs. You probably are already aware of this book, but, aside from charming carol arrangements by Willcocks et al., it contains a marvelous selection of easy to very challenging a cappella works by some outstanding modern composers, including some poly-choral pieces. I assume that you don't need an enumeration of early music. More later.
    Thanked by 1sergeantedward
  • ViolaViola
    Christopher Tye 'A sound of angels'
    Ballett (arr. Shaw) Sweet was the song the Virgin sang (aka Lute Book Lullaby)
    Angelus ad virginem anon. 13th cent
    Rubbra Dormi Jesu
    www.rootham.org/playlist/snc_dormi_jesu/images/Dormi_Jesu_old.pdf

• ViolaViola
    sorry, that sent too soon. I was going to say, all except the Rubbra are on cpdl
  • ViolaViola
    Oh, and how about
    Saint Saens Tollite Hostias (very energetic!)
    Tallis Hodie nobis caelorum (Incorporates some plainchant)
    Palestrina Matin Responsory
    Orlando Gibbons As on that night (Song 46)
  • Speaking of Gibbons, there is also his -
    'See, See, the Word Is Incarnate'.
    A verse anthem, this is an odd piece, textually.
    It's about Christmas and the Incarnation,
    but also about Easter and the resurrection of the dead.
    A really unusual-but-fascinatingly-colourful text set to exquisite Tudor-Jacobean music.

(Oops, I forgot.
    It requires the accompaniment of a consort of viols or discreet organ.)
    Thanked by 2sergeantedward Viola
  • If I had a professional choir at my disposal I'd love to sing Resonet in Laudibus by Orlando di Lasso.

There are also several carols I like in the Cowley Carol Book, including "Blessed be that Maid Marie" and "Sweet was the song the virgin sung."
  • The Cowley Carol Book is a (pardon the pun) 'unsung' treasure!

And, speaking of In Dulci Jubilos -
    While it doesn't compare to di Lasso's or Praetorius', there is
    the early XIXth century English one by R.L. de Pearsall, which is quite lovely and buoyant.
    (Is there an In Dulci Jubilo worth singing that isn't buoyant?)
  • Thank you! Some of these had not even crossed my mind, like the Resonet in Laudibus. Very cool.

I'm open to any further suggestions you have, if something comes to mind!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    If you have a 16 voice pro choir, maybe consider the Clemens non Papa O Magnum instead of Victoria.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Or, if you have a 16 voice pro choir, maybe consider the Palestrina O Magnum Mysterium instead.

The attached score is a re-engraving of my edition that was first posted at CPDL in early 2005). The MP3 is a recording by Zephyrus from their CD "Nativity" ... their first CD which we (yes, I sang bass with them from 1992-2004) recorded at Holy Family R.C. Church, Charlottesville, VA.

• @CHGiffen We did your Creator of the Stars of Night last Advent!
  • Has anyone mentioned (I hate to call fine music a 'chestnut', but...) J.P. Sweelinck's Hodie Christus Natus Est? It is for five voices (two sopranos) and is a very exciting piece with a rich texture. It is a staple in any good choir library.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • The community choir I sing with is doing Samuel Scheidt's Puer Natus in Bethlehem - it's double-choir, but super simple (and short!)

I've wanted to program Bramley's setting of the hymn "The Great God of Heaven" for some time now.

You might contact ClergetKubisz - he's got a nice setting of O Magnum Mysterium that my choir has sung but not recorded yet.

(PM me sometime, Ted. I'd love to hear how things are going with you otherwise.)
  • ...I sing with is doing...
    Vive Samuel Scheidt!

I did his Magnificat Septimi Toni with alternatim chant on a recital during Eastertide of MMXVII.
    His choral oeuvre is peerless.
    I can't recommend him highly enough.