Music at St. James Cathedral Seattle 1903-1953
  • I stumbled upon this history on the Web:
    THE MUSIC AND MUSICIANS OF ST. JAMES CATHEDRAL, SEATTLE, 1903-1953: THE FIRST 50 YEARS by CLINT MICHAEL KRAUS JUNE 2009
    It's a pretty impressive example of what a diocesan music history can be, focusing on the music program as a response to Tra le sollecitudine. There's a lot of repertoire history here, as well as a very ample whitelist, and a short curt blacklist. I was looking for Bruno Oscar Klein; he was on the whitelist and appeared frequently in the teens, but by the 30s had been replaced by Italian Caecilians like Perosi and Refice. Another observation was the relatively limited selection of Gregorian Ordinary settings done. It's well worth a read if you're interested in such things.
  • mikeaz
    Thank you for this, Jeffrey. I have fond memories of my eight months as a parishioner at St. James in 2010: the stunning beauty of the cathedral and the excellence of the music.
  • Worth it for three big reasons:

1) It's posted by Jeff Quick;
    2) The index of music sung by the choir - always fascinating;
    3) That awesome choral pastiche of "When a Felon's Not Engaged In His Employment" from Pirates of Penzance at the end
  • 3) That awesome choral pastiche of "When a Felon's Not Engaged In His Employment" from Pirates of Penzance at the end

It's at times like this that I regret that the Forum doesn't offer a robust assortment of emojis. Because, really, words fail me.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen