Ecce Sacerdos Magnus - Gloria Patri
  • Is it necessary or required to sing the Gloria Patri when singing a polyphonic setting of Ecce Sacerdos Magnus for the Solemn Reception of a Bishop?
  • In what I've used wrt polyphonic settings specifically for Ecce Sacerdos, it has always been the partial Gloria Patri (1st half only) with repeats as indicated in the Liber. Similarly, with responsories for Matins, where I typically have to add the verse as either psalm-tone or full chant... as opposed to Proper settings (like the Lassus setting of Precatus Est for Pent. XII) where the text is not repeated as it is in the chant.

However, I can't say that is the rule per se, just that has been my experience.
  • I was thinking of using Perosi's setting, but it doesn't have the Gloria Patri. I would think it would need to be part of the music to be sung, but then the whole piece would have to be repeated after chanting the Gloria Patri.
  • a_f_hawkins
    According to Wikipedia, there are at least four different uses of this with different texts, so for 'correctness' you need a setting of the right text. Given there as :-
    Ecce sacerdos magnus, qui in diébus suis plácuit Deo: Ideo jure jurando fecit illum Dóminus crescere in plebem suam. Benedictiónem ómnium géntium dedit illi, et testaméntum suum confirmávit super caput ejus. Ideo jure jurando fecit illum Dóminus crescere in plebem suam. Gloria patri et filio et spiritui sancto. . .
    which is not the Perosi text.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Yes, I noticed this. I just want to make sure I do what's prescribed by the Church.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Most of the settings on this cpdl page are the full text, including the doxology. They vary in length and complexity. The Singenburger has additional liturgical notes (for a century ago) and presumably conforms to the prescribed rules.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen eft94530