The New Hymnal - English/Chinese Parallel
  • Hi everyone!

Found this little gem while visiting the Lutheran Church in Qingdao, at their bookshop for around $6.

Notably it includes English/Chinese translations for all hymns including traditional Chinese hymns, index by Chinese numerical notation and suggested use. There are also fragments from Mass Settings and a limited selection of Anglican Chant.

Here are a few sample pages: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1CRATZwm9Tjldk7WbP6dnIJij70XzIQTq
    4000 x 3000 - 3M
    4000 x 3000 - 3M
    4000 x 3000 - 3M
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
    4000 x 3000 - 4M
  • I have the same one - picked it up in Shanghai at one of the cathedral book stores. Quality hymnal all things considered!
  • Interesting - and nice!

What an uncanny coincidence that the first page I clicked onto was O Haupt, woll blut und wunden, better known to most of us as 'O Sacred Head, Sore Wounded' and/or 'The Passion Chorale' (which I had fun figuring out since it was shown in an upside down aspect). I say 'coincidence' because at Walsingham's English spirituality reading group which had its meeting earlier this evening we were discussing Julian of Norwich's writings and spent some time talking about her graphic and compelling description of Christ's bloody head in one of the 'showings' (visions) that were revealed to her.

About this hymnal: is it for Chinese Catholics, or whom? (Oh, I see that it is Lutheran - should have known.)
    I once had an Episcopalian Dakota hymnal - in the Dakota tongue.
    Quite a find, this book of yours!

The lore of hymnals is fascinating. Some are good. Some are alright. Most are not very good at all (to put it charitably). And once in every aeon a The English Hymnal (1906), or a The Hymnal 1940 will come along. The vast majority, though, are hum-drum.