A Cautionary Tale
  • Acutely aware that retirement and relocation are within our near future, my wife has been pressuring me - I’m being gracious here, “hounding” is more accurate - to start winnowing the piles of books, piano music, organ scores, choir anthems, recordings, newspaper clippings, magazines, scholarly journals and various other items I have amassed over the years. In other words, I’m to get rid of stuff most likely never to be read, played or used again.

She has a point. While easy to rationalize hoarding, did I really think I would periodically reread all those graduate school text books? Or play Milhaud’s Le Carnaval d’Aix? And why in this era of on-line access have I retained every issue of Sacred Music? When did I forget the local public library is sufficient for many of my needs?

Musicians understandably accumulate items they hope will enrich their craft. Scores, books and recordings are indispensable to meet that objective. If you’re a church musician responsible for scheduling music and your commute is long, there is also a very practical temptation to have at your disposal all the music options at home. That’s why I’ve ended up with basement file cabinets holding single copies that duplicate the music holdings of the six churches where I’ve at one time or other been in charge!

However, having experienced the trials of being executor to both my parent’s and my brother’s estates, I should know better. It would be a major lapse in foresight if survivors were forced to assume the heavy burden of determining which of my possessions should be trashed, sold, donated or kept, particularly since the indispensable music scores that have most nourished me would fit nicely on a single shelf. Well, perhaps two.

What a pity I’m just discerning that now.
    Thanked by 2Incardination Elmar
  • CharlesW
    I am a musician AND a librarian. We are even worse when it comes to preserving accumulating stuff. LOL.
  • musician AND a librarian

I can't even imagine!! :)
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • You can always donate your library to your nearest university library, or to a scholar, or to students you know. Your music might be a welcome acquisition to an organ student(s) at a nearby university, or your local AGO chapter who could find homes for it.

Some of us might be interested in specific items that you have. You could post some of the more desirable things here. I am always interested in fine editions of early music, organ or choral, that I may not have.

Also, Craig Cramer at Notre Dame takes used music. You can contact him at ccramer@nd.edu.

I plan to leave my library to Walsingham, and my music to Walsingham's choirmaster and/or local students at Rice and U of H.
  • Carol
    It is a blessing to be able to winnow easily. I am not among those who throw things away. But you are correct, it is a major burden for one's heirs if a person is not disciplined enough to do this for oneself. Books and music are the hardest to get rid of. Good kick in the pants for me, thanks!
    Thanked by 2Incardination Elmar
  • Some of us on here might be interested in acquiring what you've got. Would making an inventory be possible?
  • I am a musician AND a librarian. We are even worse when it comes to preserving accumulating stuff. LOL.

I'm a chorister, and recently started a second post-retirement career as a librarian, at the abbey I'm attached to (70,000 volumes, and yes, they hoard stuff too).

It clearly what I was meant to be, as I have had long practice at hoarding! I can chant/recite the Divine Office in the pre-Conciliar monastic schema, post-Conciliar monastic Schemas A, B, C, D, a Cistercian schema from Austria, the modern LOTH in French, English or Latin, the Mass with pre- and post-Conciliar graduals, parts of the pre-Conciliar Divine Office, an unauthorized condensed Benedictine schema, and I could go on. Most of which I will never use besides the LOTH in French/Latin and monastic Schema B (used by my abbey) also in French and Latin.

And don't get me going on my hard drive...

Ora
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I have the hard drive, USBs, disks, and contract with an outside firm to do daily backups.
    Thanked by 1OraLabora
  • francis
    I have very few books of music or books on music... more on the BVM, encyclicals, and numerous hymnals.

Once the internet came in I collected PDFs of everything. I became very adept at downloading entire websites in one fell swoop using site retrieval apps. I tried getting IMSLP but to no avail. Never tried to get CPDL. I did get the entire Watershed years and years ago but never used any of it.

c'est la vie