Importance of Singing to the Vocation of a Priest
  • Maureen
    I've been browsing around in old discussions on this forum to catch up, and I saw an interesting misconception. People were talking about how gorgeous an Eastern sung Mass is, and somebody said something about how in the West, a priest's vocation has nothing to do with his voice.

Weeeeeell, actually, that would be wrong. Historically, throughout Europe, the tendency was that any bright young lad with a good voice was heavily scouted to see if he was called to the priesthood. That was the whole point of having "choir schools" -- it made it a lot easier to test boys' vocations, while giving them the schooling they'd need to become priests, in case they had one. (And indeed, the idea that priests should have good voices goes back to pretty early Christian times, and goes right along with the old job requirements for rabbis and Levites.)

Even in the 19th and early 20th century, and even in America when priests were scarce, you see this insistence that men destined for the priesthood would of course have good strong voices and a good musical sense. A decent voice was a basic foundation for the vocation. (Just like you expected a potential nun to be healthy and strong, to bear the hardships and hard work of religious life, while sickliness was usually a sign that God had chosen another calling for the girl. There were exceptions, like St. Therese, but you had to be pretty convincing or connected, to be excepted.) A man with a bad voice and a religious calling might find a place somewhere in an order of monks or friars, but it wasn't what you started with in a diocesan priest. (Some priests wore out their voices afterward, but of course a lot of priests also died young from overwork in the 1800's in the US.)

As in so many other things, we live in a time of historical anomalies. There are advantages and disadvantages.
  • Maureen
    The interesting thing is that, quite early in the 20th century in the US, the situation seems to reverse very quickly. There's an article from 1920 on what should be improved in seminary training, and the author spends a lot of time complaining about the state of music education and the lack of development of priests' voices. There are plenty of priests who can't sing, already.

Catholic Educational Review, vol. 18, pp. 223-236.
    "The Study of Church Music in the Seminaries" by Leo P. Manzetti. (The voice discussion starts on p. 233.)
  • You are spot on in implying that priests who can't sing are a relatively modern phenomenon. Many are the historic attestations that 'nothing has been said, but everywhere all has been sung since the beginning' (Simeon of Thessolonika, XIth cent.), which means that there was no such oddity as a priest who couldn't wouldn't sing until well into the middle ages. The middle ages saw a new phenomenon in the western Church, namely, the proliferation of monk-priests, all of whom needed to 'say' their daily masses in addition to participating in the conventual high mass. This led in the mediaeval era to the proliferation of essentially private masses at a surfeit of side altars. This was the origin of the so-called low mass, and it represents a sharp, and cruel, break with what was standard for over a thousand years in the western Church and still is in the eastern Churches, the totally chanted public mass.

To this day the Orthodox will not ordain a man who cannot sing, nor do they know of any such an historical eccentricity as a 'said' mass. Not only have we in the west grown accustomed to the so called low mass, quite a large number of people actually prefer it and are antipathetic to the fully chanted mass. There is a pathetically widespread acceptance of the development that not only do most priests no longer sing, but, in addition, it would never enter anyone's mind that they should.

What goes for priests goes, as well, for deacons. In fact, we have a gentleman PhD at Walsingham who is an instituted acolyte, a highly respected scholar of literature, Church history, and ritual matters who answers when asked why he doesn't become a deacon that he can't sing and therefore would not become a deacon because he couldn't sing his parts at mass at Walsingham. Alas! Would that more men were as respectful and conscientious of the ritual requirements of deaconhood - and priesthood.

It is human nature to sing when addressing God, or when engaged in religious ritual. Modern (since the late middle ages) Catholicism is unique in human history in presuming to worship its deity with the spoken voice rather than with ritual chant. It has this in common with western Protestantism, in which spoken worship is an historically cultivated tradition which was begun in conscious opposition to those old chanting Catholics. How 'Protestant' the Catholic Church has become in this regard!

The greater one's joy, the more profound the respect one has for another person, the more one's language takes on the aspect of musicality. The less another person is regarded, the less one's sense of well being and gladness, the less one's speech becomes musically expressive.
  • CharlesW
    There is way too much Protestantism that has crept in to the church including all that you noted. Some of the former Protestants who are now deacons are the worst. I have said, in my most snarky moments, that deacons are obnoxious and disaffected Protestants who acquired a smattering of Catholic knowledge, but just enough to be dangerous. Fortunately, I do encounter a good one from time to time. Unfortunately, many of them don't sing and never learned any church chants.

I know it is common to blame the low mass on the Irish invasion, but as you noted, it is older than that. It was a bad idea then and is still so today.
    Thanked by 2StimsonInRehab MarkB
  • You have your good ones and you have your bad ones. I know of a local deacon who was informing an RCIA class that he didn't believe in praying to the saints because "they were all sinners, since we're all sinners." On the other hand, I was showing off my Liber to the chant group neophytes on campus (a rare occasion that) and one of the girls commented on how her father, a deacon in the St. Louis Archdiocese, would be "nerding out" over all of this, and how he was always trying to teach his fellow deacons how to chant.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Thanks, Maureen, so much for posting "The Study of Church Music in the Seminaries"
  • The link above leads me to a page claiming "no ebook available" but in fact there is this.
    In 1920 most priests would have been through seminary before TLS, and I think while the Pustet editions were still the approved chant style.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford