Psalm settings collected with free download
  • jefe
    Ten years ago I was struck to the core when I first heard the men of Peter Hallock's Compline Choir, and especially his Psalm settings. I was driven to start four Compline Choirs in tiny Nevada City, CA (pop. 3016). You won't find any of his 70 or so settings here, but you will find a body of work that was the most difficult to obtain for Compline, namely a variety of Psalm settings which I engraved for our groups. For you purists, I'm happy to report that many of these are the entire Psalm, not just snippets. All of these are 'realized', since no one in my purvey knew anything about Anglican Chant Psalter or reading Gregorian or Ambrosian Chant, but were mostly instrumentalist who could actually read music. And we don't use accompaniment, save for a few wayward handbells. We settled on the 2005 ORDER FOR COMPLINE in traditional language published by the Royal School of Church Music for the Plainsong and Medieval Music Society in the UK. It had the best balance and shape compared to many other Orders we surveyed. We fill out the 'big five' tunes with music borrowed from many cultures: Anglican; Roman; Byzantine; Greek and Russian Orthodox (oh, the drones) with kind of 'theme' program development for each one. One thing you will find is a preponderance of settings of the four assigned Psalms for
    Compline: Ps.4, 31, 91 and 134.
    These are in two groups from my dropbox:
    1. Psalms in pdf ATBarB/ATTB/and now many in SATB (we don't even have an SATB group except when they are combined)
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9zssie80mo7lts7/AABQHlzY80gNthX4lC3mkkYDa?dl=0
    2. Psalms in pdf plainsong/women SSA to SSAAT/trebles/ 2-part.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yzzddguvee4kjxr/AADbZd7PUBPAM5UiQIkwXC6na?dl=0
    If you have a young pre teen group, some of the treble Psalms might save you some time.
    You'll notice some of the earlier arrangements when I was still, and still am, learning what for many of you is old hat.
    We've done about 106 Complines now (monthly and all Sundays in Lent) and plan on a combined biggie on November 4th, All Saints Sunday doing some Russian Orthodox music of Rachmaninoff, mostly from Op. 37.
    So, feel free to download away.
    jefe
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Oh my...thank you for making this available!