Prayers please
  • My classmate's father passed away last week, and (although all of us attended a music school) since I am the only one still active in the church music world, he asked me to organize the music for the funeral Mass. So far, about twelve of his classmates have indicated they are available to sing, all of whom are competent.

I received word today that the organist who was supposed to play at the Mass for us has suddenly become unavailable due to some other commitment at his regular place of employment. With no other organists I know willing to work for gratis (said organist was also a friend of my classmate, and was able to play for free - there is no money available from the family for this music), I found myself, an organ student of only a few weeks' time, put in the driver's seat.

I can just about get through a hymn with pedals right now, and normally wouldn't dare take on such a task - but there is very little planned that requires organ (one optional hymn, the Song of Farewell in CBW3, psalmody, and notes from the organ for the Gregorian propers and our offertory & communion motets), and my other options are exhausted. Still, I'd like to ask for all your intentions at this time. Heaven knows that I'll need them.
  • CharlesW
    Prayers. You know there is no requirement to play pedals during a hymn. It's great if you can do it, but if not, play the manuals.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Prayers for your classmate, the soul of his father, and for you in this difficult time. Charles is correct, though - you can simply play the manuals and not worry so much about the pedals.