Advent service ideas?
  • Hello!

I am looking to plan a special service for Advent that is filled with longing (for light, peace, etc, particularly in such a dark world). I am thinking of using a Lessons and Carols format, but I don't want it to be exactly like that, and we formed a choir recently, so the ensemble is not very experienced together.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? We are a PCUSA congregation, but open to ideas from all traditions.

Thank you!

• Since you don't want to copy Lessons and Carols -
    You could have evensong (solemn or plain) with a few Adventish carols and anthems at the place appointed for the Anthem. The processional could be Royal David's city or some such, with the first stanza sung by a boy. The psalmody should be Adventish (Lift up your heads, O ye gates) as should any hymnody. The psalm(s) could be sung to Anglican chant or a psalm tone. An office hymn should follow the psalm. The Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis could be the well-known Tone VIII setting in the back of the 1940 - or Anglican chant if you are up to it. You will find a far greater selection of Advent hymns in The English Hymnal than in the 1940 or the 1982. Don't overlook consulting The Oxford Book of Carols.
  • PaxTecum
    At this point why not just use the office of vespers
  • JL
    A Roman-style Vespers or an Anglican-style Evensong would definitely fit the bill, and pretty much all the planning is done for you. For the Roman Rite, iBreviary is a good (and free) source (with several languages available), and the Online Book of Common Prayer will give you the information you need for Evensong.
  • CharlesW
    Advent? Advent? She/he used the "A" word while it is still 90 degrees. The snow does NOT lie on the ground.
    Thanked by 1dmandalak
  • Chaswjd
    You could also use the Office of the Readings. After each psalm or reading, you could use an advent carol as the response / antiphon substitute.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • “Longing for light, we wait in darkness” opening line of the easy song Christ Be Our Light.
  • Continuousbass,

I used that song many years ago (when I was still in a vernacular context), but have come to think better than to use it. Close your eyes, and imagine it being played on bass viols, with a piccolo nearby.