Proper antiphons for Votive Mass of Mary, Mother of the Church
  • AMAJ
    My searching is not turning up musical settings of the Entrance and Communion antiphons in the RM for this votive Mass. Has anyone written any that they would be willing to share?

Does anyone know if an Offertory antiphon has been specified? This particular votive Mass isn't in the GR and I don't know where else to look it up.

Thanks!
  • a_f_hawkins
    My understanding is that, until other provision is made you should use one of the Votive Masses 'de beata Maria Virgine' GR p.662-3. In the Roman Missal the new texts have been/will be added as a subsection to these other Marian votive Masses AFAIK.
    Thanked by 1AMAJ
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    My memory is not turning up which these are, though there was a year when this fell on Sunday and was observed in the Diocese of Oakland some time ago. Presumably you're seeking Salve sancta parens and Beata viscera or Diffusa est gratia?

GR has:

IN. Salve, sancta Parens, 403.
    Vultum tuum deprecabll.ntur, 404.
    GR. Posuisti, Domine, 477·
    AL. Posuisti, Domine, 480.
    OF. Recordare, Virgo Mater, 422.
    CO. Diffusa est gratia, 423.

For the Votive Mass per annum GR lists:

N. Salve, sancta Parens, 403.
    GR. Benedicta et venerabilis es, 407.
    AL. Post partum, Virgo inviolata, 414.
    OF. Felix namque es, sacra Virgo, 422.
    CO. Beata viscera Maria: Virginis, 423.

or for Year B:

IN. Vultum tuum deprecabll.ntur, 404.
    GR. Audi, filia, et vide, 406.
    Propter veritatem, 410.
    AL. Specie tua et pulchritudine tua, 416.
    OF. Ave, Maria, gratia plena, 419.
    Beata es, Virgo Maria, 420.
    CO. Diffusa est gratia in labiis tuis, 423.
  • Excuse the off-topic question, but HOW ON EARTH DOES ONE PROMULGATE A NEW FEAST WITHOUT ALREADY DECIDING ON THE PROPERS?
  • tomjaw
    @Chris
    Excuse the off-topic question, but HOW ON EARTH DOES ONE PROMULGATE A NEW FEAST WITHOUT ALREADY DECIDING ON THE PROPERS?

This is the Vatican... Actions speak louder than words!
  • rarty
    It is a new feast on the universal calendar, but the Mass formulary is already in the Missal (In the 3rd edition: Votive Masses, 10 B).

The proper texts in the Lectionary and Missal don't match existing chants, and for better or worse, the revised Gradual doesn't assign or compose chants for each new Mass formulary. So, we are free to chose from the many chant options given in the Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary, or to use the seasonal options of a 'generic'/Saturday votive Mass (attached; I don't believe that A B and C refer to lectionary years).

FWIW, in the old Missal, the post-Pentecost votive Mass chants are:

IN. Salve, sancta Parens, 403.
    GR. Benedicta et venerabilis es, 407·
    AL. Post partum, Virgo inviolata, 414.
    OF. Ave Maria, gratia plena, 419.
    CO. Beata viscera Mariae Virginis, 423.
    381 x 535 - 97K
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The proper texts in the Lectionary and Missal don't match existing chants
    And those texts are?
  • a_f_hawkins

De beata Maria Ecclesiæ Matre
    Ant. ad introitum
    Cf. Act 1, 14
    Erant discípuli perseverántes unanímiterin oratióne cum María, matre Iesu.
    Ant. ad communionem
    Cf. Io 2, 1.11
    Núptiæ factæ sunt in Cana Galilǽæ,et erat mater Iesu ibi;tunc fecit inítium signórum Iesus et manifestávit glóriam suam,et credidérunt in eum discípuli eius.
    Vel: Cf. Io 19, 26-27
    Ex cruce pendensdixit Iesus discípulo, quem diligébat:Ecce mater tua.
    Thanked by 2Richard Mix rarty
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Then I can't help with the Introit.
    ''Nuptiae'' gets 33 hits (many redundant) in U. Florida Motet database, of which Hassler & Lassus are available on CPDL; there's also a plain antiphon at Gregobase.
  • chonakchonak
    Excuse the off-topic question, but HOW ON EARTH DOES ONE PROMULGATE A NEW FEAST WITHOUT ALREADY DECIDING ON THE PROPERS?

And people call us an organized religion!
    Thanked by 1GerardH
  • a_f_hawkins
    I am told that our parish received no notification through diocesan channels about this change to the calendar. We rely on the diocesan Ordo which we received at the end of November 1917! And people call us an organized religion!
  • tomjaw
    @a_f_hawkins

We rely on the diocesan Ordo which we received at the end of November 1917!

The Ordo of 1917 would be a distinct improvement on 2017...