Traditional Latin Mass "solos"
  • Hi - I have been asked to sing at at TLM Wedding. The bride and groom already have a priest to chant the propers and Mass parts and want suggestions for "other songs". Of course, Ave Maria and Panis Angelicus come to mind, as well as Salve Regina. I even thought Laudate Dominum from Mozart Requiem, which I love to sing and Domine Deus from Vivaldi Gloria. I could sing a setting of Agnus Dei as well. Any other suggestions for soprano solos appropriate for this type of Mass? Thanks - Carol
  • CCoozeCCooze
    You could always sing some traditional chants; Veni Sancte Spiritus, for example.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Companies like McLaughlin & Reilly put out albums of wedding music, with emphasis on solos, if you can find them anywhere (I have one somewhere). Peter Wagner put out a 3-volume series from Bärenreiter of various Marian antiphons and the Ave Maria. Whatever it is, it has to be in Latin, unless it's after the Mass proper.
  • Chants are lovely. For weddings, Magnificat comes to mind.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Is the Mozart LD from the Vespers?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I'm pretty sure that's what she must have meant, meloCharles
  • You could do Faure's Pie Jesu as a piece for any deceased members of the bride or groom's family. But that might take some unnecessary explaining.
  • hilluminar
    Ubi Caritas is a very popular wedding chant; and in Poland, Veni Creator Spiritus is frequently chanted after the vows or at the Offertory.
  • Ms Breezy 126,

Others have suggested, so I'll be blunter than they have been: if you're singing at a TLM wedding, avoid the worst excesses of the solo repertoire.[The short list you provided qualifies, in my mind, as the tried, tested and worn out ]. Instead, sing a beautiful chant. You could sing the office hymn, or any of the chants here recommended by others.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • davido
    Do you know the Faure Salve Regina?
    Also the one Ave Maria by Saint Saens, the one in A major.

Bunch of things here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/musicamecclesiae/solo-voice-literature

Sometimes hard to tell on this forum, but there is tons of wonderful music that’s not chant
  • Chants:

Sub tuum praesidium -- which seems ideal for a couple embarking on marriage. There may be a well-decorated chant.

Here's another (admittedly unusual) idea.

In the Offertoriale, the Offertory text and chant proper for a wedding is supplemented with 2 verses. What about singing these verses using the printed chant, even if the wedding day's propers take precedence over the Nuptial Mass? (For example, if the wedding were to take place on August 24, St. Bartholomew would take precedence for propers, but one could still sing the verse for a wedding as a solo-ish chant.

Remember, though, that the purpose of this chant is to glorify God and help the assembled lay faithful draw closer to God, not to show off the Soprano's operatic voice.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • Sub tuum praesidium

I second this. It's perfect the perfect length and degree of solemnity for the laying of flowers on the Mary Altar. And it's simple to teach - I trained some random dudes at a wedding a few months ago to sing this during a mutual friend's wedding. Sort of a matrimonial "flash mob". (She gave us the OK, in case you were wondering!) But it got a lot of positive feedback afterwards.
  • JL
    If your organist reads figured bass (and if you're comfortable with soprano clef), there are some excellent solo motets of French and Italian provenance to be found on IMSLP or Gallica. You also might consider one of Schütz's Kleine geistliche Konzerte, which were written for churches whose choirs had been depleted by the Thirty Years' War. The world didn't begin in 1830.