Recordings of responsorial psalms: Alstott, Gelineau, Grail
  • Does anyone have a good resource for recordings of the responsorial psalms of Alstott, Gelineau, or Guimont? I've been searching YouTube with varied success and quality, and I'm frankly pretty surprised that none of the major publishers seems to have gotten around to recording the entire cycle for any of these composers. It seems like it would be an easy money maker to sell to music ministers who don't always have time to work with volunteer psalmists. Maybe I'm missing something?
  • Liam
    What you're missing is that, generally, Catholic institutions are way behind the curve of use of technology, and, specifically, established Catholic liturgical music publishers view the Internet generally only as a useful thing if it can drive them to buy their dead-tree publications. I would not be shocked if their reaction to the idea of view putting up practice videos is that they would be most concerned that it would end up encouraging people to play those videos like audio tapes in church.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen SingerLady
  • OCP publishes CDs each year with all of the psalms and gospel acclamations from Respond and Acclaim and it's Spanish equivalent.

GIA has CDs available for the whole Guimont Psalter. They also have recordings for their Lyric Psalter, Cry Out with Joy Psalter and Lead me Guide Me Psalter,

I seem to remember that the OCP recording of Respond and Acclaim only records one or two verses for each. GIA advertises that the Guimont recording is of each psalm in its entirety. For the Lyric Psalter, the recordings are also complete, and for Cry Out With Joy, just one or two verses.

Having suffered through a CD project at my last parish, I imagine it can be quite an undertaking to record an entire psalter. I'd say it's not too bad that GIA has done it at least 4 times, and OCP does it each year. That sounds like a nightmare to me. With the right OneLicense license, you'd be able to copy the recordings for your cantors. In my previous parish, we made our own recordings—having secured permissions from the relevant publishers. I don't blame them for not putting them on YouTube. YouTube can be challenging for publishers to recoup their expenses—though it's worth noting that OCP has hundreds of tracks from it's recordings of some of it's hymnals available there.

Marc
    Thanked by 1SingerLady
  • Matthew
    Marc I too suffer through these projects. We use the psalter from "Oramos Cantando" for our Spanish language masses. Unfortunately, GIA doesn't put out a CD recording (or any recordings) of these psalms. While the organ is used at 2 of our Spanish masses (I play), the other 2 Spanish masses utilize volunteers who don't read music, so I make recordings for them to better understand how the psalms are to be sung. 1 more year and I'll have the 3 year cycle complete and can stop making recordings with every new music schedule.
  • CatherineS
    You mean no one else just makes something up at the last minute?????
    Thanked by 1SingerLady
  • eft94530eft94530
    Some people learn to read words then volunteer to be lectors.
    Some people learn to read music then volunteer to be cantors.

Some people volunteer to be cantors
    then listen to youtube for hours each week to get ready.

Weird how lectors never do that.
    Thanked by 2Incardination Carol
  • Some people volunteer to be cantors
    then listen to youtube for hours each week to get ready.

Then there are people who just wing it...

There are some singers who glory in the fact that they don't know how to read music... as if it is a virtue or an indicator of something special. I, too, have often wondered how people can avoid making the connection with learning to read and then reading.
    Thanked by 3eft94530 CHGiffen Carol
  • eft94530eft94530
    You mean no one else just makes something up at the last minute?????

Well every parish has a certain somebody who probably does.
    But then the topic has changed from music to something else.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Carol
    In defense of those who don't read music or read it well, with the right encouragement from a choir director, most people will try and then they will improve. We began a small choir with 20 singers. Of those 20 some are barely able to carry a tune and 18 do not really read music. My husband uses warm ups to teach a little about reading music each week and just immersion in pretending you can read music helps it to happen. In a small parish, you "take what ya got" and work with it.

People usually learn to read as children when they are expected to by everyone around them. Learning to read music is barely taught in schools anymore. My children went through 9 years of Catholic grammar school and rarely were exposed to proper music education. Band, for which we paid extra $, is where my boys learned to read music and music history and appreciation they learned from us. The Catholic high school music programs were much better but Catholic high school costs much more than community college!
  • We use R&A. There are a few regular R&A posters on Youtube: There is a man who plays a classical guitar that does quite nicely. I prefer him. Another music director, Kisha, accompanies herself and is adequate and records everything as well. R&A definitely sells their CDs. Here is the link to the CD with all the music for 2018. https://www.ocp.org/en-us/collections/dg/71

Gelineau- https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+gelineau&rlz=1C1NHXL_enUS763US763&ei=09yBW8K8Eojc5gLg5ZmoCg&start=10&sa=N&biw=1920&bih=974

I use Google Docs to communicate my music with the choir and cantors. I have a lovely volunteer that finds youtube videos and pastes the link next to the song. Perhaps your director can do that so you know you are practicing what she/he expects to hear.

Thanked by 1SingerLady
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm going to be the old fogey I am, and simply posit that any soul that needs to "study" R&A settings (and heck why not for AOZ/JMO Psalters as well?) via recorded example perhaps ought not to be in a leadership role as a Psalmist. Such presented inability can surely be remedied by earnest study of basic music literacy, but whatever unwillingness to "go there" doesn't bespeak a fundamental responsibility to both correctly interpret and to lead others in a humble, but profoundly confident way. Flame ye on, if ye must.
  • Carol
    I have been cantoring the responsorial psalm from R & A for several years. I find the tunes are usually adequate, but the accompaniment frequently is unnecessarily exotic, which could confuse a less than confident cantor. Hearing them with their accompaniment could be helpful. The Gospel Acclamations are occasionally ridiculous, last Sunday's had the Alleluias in 3/4 and then the verse in 4/4. Now all you doctorate's out there may think "Big Deal," but it is silly and unnecessary. Also, please remember that many small town parishes have volunteer cantors who are so-so sight readers. If study is what it takes to do it well, why criticize? To get decent phrasing I do study the psalms even though they are very step-wise and have few leaps, etc.
    Thanked by 1SingerLady
  • There are excellent musicians that are better than I that do not read well, but simply need to be "primed" with audio to take off on their own. I am interested in the final product. I don't care if someone learned it by accompanying themselves or learning by ear. To those that are just wading into chant, it is the chanted rhythm that they struggle with; in my experience, the newbies either rush through the verses or slowing chants in a tight, almost robotic voice. Learning the natural rhythm of the chant verse comes through hearing. Surely you recognize that chant has been passed down orally through the years. Learning from me (who does not have time to work with individuals each week) or a video is very appropriate for chant.
    Thanked by 2Carol SingerLady
  • Carol
    I think about the meaning of the words as I chant them and thus naturally put emphasis where it makes sense to do so. I try to do it in a way that does not draw attention to myself, but rather to the meaning of each phrase. One accompanist talked about "pulse" rather than meter with regard to chant. These two concepts help me to do justice to the responsorial psalm.
    Thanked by 2SingerLady CHGiffen
  • "Perhaps your director can do that so you know you are practicing what she/he expects to hear."

Well, I AM the director so I certainly sing it the way I expect to hear it with rare exceptions. : )

For many reasons, I am stuck with the cantors I have, some of whom need more regular help with learning notes than I can provide (I'm hourly part-time). My preference would certainly be to have cantors who read music and can show up and sing it, but we don't always get what we want and have to work with what we have. I've set up a password-protected website for musicians at the parish, and actually just ended up recording and singing the psalms myself to my iPhone voice record function and posting them that way. Not the best quality, but it does the job. I'll definitely look into the recordings suggested for the future, though.
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • It really is time to stop singing the psalm poorly. I mean to totally stop singing it.

Can't you see David himself looking down and saying, "WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO MY SONG?"

It's that simple. It is butchered in many churches by people who should NOT be singing and directors of music & priests who think it must be sung. Churches where they do not sing the Glory to God because, "it's too hard/long."

The gospel acclamation is protected from this happening to it in the GIRM, but once again, "WE HAVE TO SING IT." when clearly it is to be omitted if there is no one to sing it.

People have to stop and think, "Am I doing music the way the church wants it done...or am I freely letting NPM run the music at the church where I am entrusted to be a liturgical musician?"

Thanked by 1Carol