Psalm 23 by Dale Wood
  • I’m looking to see if anyone knows about Dale Wood’s Psalm 23. I heard it a few weeks back when Psalm 23 was the psalm for the Sunday. It has a metrical refrain and metrical verses and is really beautiful. I’ve looked all over the internet for music, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

If anyone has ideas where I could find music or if anyone has the music, please let me know.
  • The refrain is in the Catholic Book of Worship III but not with the verses that you're looking for. PM me if interested as I'm not sure I can post it publically.
    Thanked by 2canadash CatholicZ09
  • In the ICEL Resource Book, 334, is the Dale Wood response "The Lord is my shepherd" but not the verses. Dale had a great ear for singable tunes. The Resource Book is a treasure trove of classic hymns and texts. And, it is all free to use!
  • I’m under the impression that maybe the verses were written by someone other than Wood. I heard this psalm at St. Paul Cathedral in Pittsburgh and am under the impression that maybe the director of music wrote his own verses for it. What he wrote is really beautiful; would think Wood wrote them himself!
  • deo27
    @Joseph Michael Where can the ICEL Resource Book be found?
  • chonakchonak
    The "ICEL Resource Collection" is sold by GIA.
  • drforjc
    I thought we were generally not supposed to replace the text of the Responsorial Psalm with paraphrases.
  • The verses, at least the ones I heard, are not chanted. I think Wood’s original composition included chant verses.
  • Clarification. I did not mean that the ICEL book was free. But, the music in it can be freely reproduced.
  • chonakchonak
    I think someone has mentioned (in a previous thread) that the text and music of the public-domain hymns can be reproduced, but the score engravings are copyrighted; so reproducing them may require checking ICEL's permissions policy.

UPDATE: I have seen a copy of the Collection, and the permissions policy is stated within the book; I'll summarize it here, omitting some details:

Parishes and schools may reproduce the scores of PD hymns, the new hymns, and the service music, for their own private use and not for sale.