RCIA First Scrutiny What Music Do You Use?
  • Jan
    For the first time, our schola will sing for First Scrutiny (3rd Sunday in Lent). The schola usually sings Gregorian Chant
    propers & ordinary (Latin) with a Novus Ordo English language Mass. Our RCIA director has traditionally sung music from
    Today's Missal (ugh). What to do? Any suggestions?
  • Jan
    Was hoping to find something in BFW. Nothing. However BFW 'credits' mention...'copyright 1982, ICEL; excerpts from English translation of 'Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults.' Can't find anything in BFW on RCIA to save my soul!
  • Cantor
    Dear Jan,

Try the Biery communion antiphons for Lent; the antiphons for year A in 3rd-5th Sundays are intimately connected with the RCIA scrutiny gospels.

And blimey, any text that has to do with water should be fine. Psalm 42 ("Sicut cervus...") is great.
  • Cantor
    That is, water for the first scrutiny.

The second is light, so Ps. 27 is good (and suggested in the Graduale Romanum).
  • Jan
    Cantor

Thanks for responding. I must admit I have no background in RCIA. So I could use all the help I can get.

Are there any online resources for RCIA?

Also is there a Graduale Romanum online (with English translation)? Looks like CMAA has only the 1961
    (Latin only). Unless I'm missing something here.

That are the 'Biery' communion antiphons? Where can I find them?
  • Jan
    FYI. Broke down & bought the GR. Didn't think I needed it (schola sings all propers/ordinary from the Gregorian Missal 1x month, nothing fancy) but obviously I do. Did my homework on RCIA (remedial studies!) & now I feel like I have a handle on it. (Still curious what everyone else does, but no big deal).

Just a report...the fact that our schola is singing the 'Scrutinies' Mass at our parish is a small thing but I believe a significant sign of progress in our parish. It means our Gregorian Chant Mass is an accepted & expected liturgical service here. Wow & Hurrah!

Sorry to keep this thread going far to long but I needed to express my appreciation for all the wonderful threads of insight coming from this forum! What a great group of colleagues! I am learning so much from all of you. Thanks (over & out)!
  • G
    I'm not sure if I should piggy-back on this thread or start anew, but it took me a while to realize that Jan's parish celebrates Masses specifically for the Scrutinies rather than doing them at a regularly scheduled Sunday Mass.
    I'm curious as to which most communities choose to do?
    And cantor, thanks for mentioning the Biery antiphons, I think his O Sacrum Convivium is a model contemporary liturgical composition, I'll look into the communion antiphons.
    Our RCIA director would program "This Little Light of Mine" if allowed. Mayhaps it's the Curves commercials.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Cantor
    Biery Lenten communion antiphons:
    http://www.morningstarmusic.com/viewitem.cfm/item_id/80-835

He has a similar set for Advent. All are good musically, but some refrains are too long.