Prayers for a Great Choir Director
  • The father of the choir director at the chapel I attend, who happens to be a choir director himself, has been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, and I just found out this weekend that it's spreading to his liver.

I can't say enough good things about this fellow. In addition to being a choir director and organist, his wife is director of the children's choir for the parish, and he and his family (of nine kids!) regularly tour the country. They sing barbershop (both Men's and Sweet Adeline), they play piano and string quartet, they're just an amazingly talented family. He supports his whole family, and their farm, by playing for a Methodist church and offering music lessons. And in spite of all this, he's always been such a modest, good-natured, and truly devout gentleman in all his dealings. He's foregoing chemo and trying to fight this through more holistic methods, change in diet and that sort of thing. Please, all of you - I ask you to keep this gentleman in your prayers. (If you'd like more details please PM me.)
  • I shall add him to my prayer list and to the list at Walsingham.
    Can we have a name?
  • Stephen Reen, Senior.

You can find out more about him and his family at thereenfamily.com
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Prayers for Stephen and his family.
  • Praying.
  • CharlesW
    Prayers.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Asking the intercession of St. Peregrine
  • francis
    rosary
  • Mary Ann
    A Rosary for his recovery.
  • An update: Steve was admitted to the hospital this past week. His health is declining. His liver and sigmoid are filled full of tumors and his abdomen is filled with fluid which needs to be drained. He is on a blood thinner to try to prevent the blood clots in his lungs from spreading.

I have fond memories of Steve - the first time I met him after singing at the Easter Vigil, we sang, along with four of his sons, an extempore edition of "Lida Rose" from The Music Man. Such was his openness to strangers and love of music. To realize, five years later, that a man so full of joy and enthusiasm is probably now on his death bed breaks my heart.

I know some caring souls have posted GoFundMe and Caring Bridge pages. If you'd like to donate to either please PM me and I'll send you the information.
  • Carol
    Sounds like a wonderful gentleman and friend. I will pray for him, his caregivers, and all his loved ones at Mass this morning.
  • Carol
    My mother and I attended Mass yesterday in the rehab center where my 91 year old mother continues to recover from emergency abdominal surgery. I remembered your friend, Steve, and all those who love and care for him.
  • An update for everyone. Steve came to Mass yesterday. He was in a wheelchair, and has lost about a hundred pounds - the poor man looks like skin and bones at this point. His voice is so faint as to be barely heard. I was later told his cancer has developed to Stage Four. From what I can gather, his prognosis is that he has, at most, another four months to live.

Yet for all that, Steve has retained his same positive outlook on life. In discussion, he said that he looked on the little time he had left in this world as a gift, and he was going to spend all of that time loving God and offering his constant pain up for the souls in Purgatory.

Please keep him and his family in your prayers. I am praying the Monthly Cecilia Novena for him, and he is happy to hear of the continued prayers of all in the CMAA.
  • Carol
    I have remembered Steve at all the Wednesday Masses at the rehab facility while I am there visiting my mother. BTW my mother is now at home and we have been told she should not be left alone anymore due to her failing memory. Your description of Steve reminds me of the way my father bore up when he was dying of pancreatic cancer. He was such a great example of faith to his children and grandchildren!
  • I just received this e-mail from his wife:

"In your charity, please pray for the repose of the soul of my husband, Stephen Reen. He passed away last night at about 8:30pm, in his sleep on the feast of Our Lady of Ransom. We are comforted by the fact that he was wearing his scapular, had received the Sacraments on Sunday. He passed away with a strong desire to be with Our Lord and Our Blessed Mother, and all the Angels and Saints in Heaven. God bless you for your love and kindness, generosity and help through this difficult time. May our Blessed Mother keep you safe under Her Mantle."

God and His Angels bless and keep you, Stephen. The same as you lived and sang your life, may it be so in Heaven - an unending hymn of praise to the Creator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8F_u-DrtqE
    360 x 450 - 35K
  • CharlesW
    May his memory be eternal.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Eternal rest grant him, O Lord.
  • Carol
    What a beautiful note written by his wife. It is obvious that this is a married couple who have been a blessing and an example to many. I will pray for his wife, his family, and his friends, especially you.
  • May he rest in peace.