funeral planning
  • What is your approach to funeral music planning? Does your parish have section on their website that guides people in making choices? Or do you even allow them to make choices and instead just present them with a standardized funeral liturgy? Does having pre-printed booklets help in keeping secular songs and other inappropriate trash out of the liturgy?
  • CharlesW
    Parish members are encouraged to fill out a form expressing their funeral preferences. It is on file in the office. When the member departs we retrieve the form. Others are told that hymns can chosen from the hymnal, only, and that the mass parts are pre-selected.
    Thanked by 2CCooze Mary Ann
  • rich_enough
    Welcome to the Forum, AndrewSteinerPiano!

My approach is that the Church has given us some beautiful chants for the Requiem mass which should - as much as is possible and prudent - be presented as a given.

Practically speaking this means that the opening, communion, and closing chants - Requiem aeternam, Lux aeterna, and In paradisum - are set, with the family given the option to choose a song for offertory and one to be sung after the communion chant. Right now most people will assume that they are excepted to choose "four songs," which simply perpetuates the "four hymn sandwich" model. It helps to have clear guidelines (online and as a handout) which can save everyone from a lot of hassle - and the family may even be relieved to know they don't have to choose all the music! See this thread for further discussion.

This thread and this one may also be helpful.
  • So exactly why should the loved ones of the deceased be involved with the planning? Is that a tradition of the Church? It just seems too odd to have people who have usually little if any knowledge of choosing Sacred Music to somehow make those selections in an emotionally distraught time?
  • Kathy
    People have that expectation, as a way of saying farewell to their family. I don't think it's a good system but that's what people expect.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    It just seems too odd to have people who have usually little if any knowledge of choosing Sacred Music to somehow make those selections in an emotionally distraught time?

And what is more odd? That bereaved deciders are entrusted to many "pastoral musicians" whose competency of "choosing Sacred music" is not much more refined than their own?
    As a post-retirement musician still providing music for funeral liturgies, I've noticed the trend towards "No preference" option from bereaved is expanding, thus making my job easier by not having to constantly capitulate towards "Amazing.....How great....Here I is, Lord...Ave Maria (Franz's) and OEW."
    OTOH, we who are responsible for performing texts and tunes for this particular event in folks' lives ought not to mandate or otherwise insist on any intransient policies. If for no other reason than Option Fours are licit and SOP in the Novus Ordo should we take our advisory roles very seriously, and avoid any personal biases we hold ourselves.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Parish members are encouraged to fill out a form expressing their funeral preferences.

That's really neat.

-----

This is my parish's funeral information: https://www.stspeterandpaulbasilica.com/pages/funerals
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    This bypasses many problems. When a member dies, we get out the form and implement his preferences. If anyone questions anything, we show them the form.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    What if they happen to have asked for something hokey?
  • CharlesW
    It happens, but I gave up arguing with the family over the remains of their loved ones. Hardly anyone attends funerals any more, so the crowd is small with many not having darkened a Catholic parish door in years. I go with the flow, get it over with, and go home.

Every now and then something outrageous is requested and the pastor backs me up in turning it down. Restricting hymn choices to the hymnal helps, although there are some wretched hymns in that hymnal (RitualSong). It could be worse.
  • rich_enough
    I gave up arguing with the family over the remains of their loved ones.

There is no argument if things are understood beforehand. Giving people almost complete leeway over the choice of music is a recipe for either poor music, arguments, or both. Sure, some people are determined to have "their" song come what may, but more than you might think either don't care or have no idea. They choose something hokey because it's expected ("traditional") or because Aunt Millie had it at her funeral 10 years ago. Limit the choices on the front end and you save everyone a lot of heartache and headache.
    I go with the flow, get it over with, and go home.

I used to do this but found it wasn't that difficult to escape the madness of singing the same 3 songs at every single funeral.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • CharlesW
    Oh, I know. I detest "Eagle's Wings," and can't fathom why that song is so popular. I don't do it on Sundays, only for funerals. The pastor agrees it is difficult for the congregation to sing.

The families only get to choose an entrance, communion, and recessional hymn, but only from the hymnal. The Ordinary is pre-selected and never changed. The psalm is either 23rd or 27th. The pastor sings "In Paradisum" as a solo. So the families have a few choices, but don't get to choose everything. This does limit the "damage" they can do.
  • PolskaPiano
    Our parish hands out a booklet with the readings to choose from as well a hymnal. This is given with a sheet that has spaces for them to write their choices of readings and music. I make sure the secretary tells each family that I am happy to do the planning for them. It is important for them to know they have that option- because some people truly don't need one more thing to do and this is my job!

I have only had a couple odd requests which I feel very comfortable talking to the family about.

I could play On Eagle's Wings every funeral (almost do) and it doesn't bother me. I get the "yoo hoo!" stuff. However, it sounds lovely with the choir singing and teh congregation often sings along. Personally, I am not a fan of playing Schubert's Ave Maria each time. (Do I lose my CMAA forum membership for that?!)
  • JonLaird
    I get in touch with the family by email and send them this link with some instructions:
    https://rebrand.ly/stpfuneral

In order to see the whole thing, just fill in dummy answers because some fields are required in order to go to the next page. As long as you don't hit submit at the end, it won't go through to me.

I also have a hard copy version of this, if a family prefers to meet in person. But given the short turnaround and the whirlwind of activity in funeral preparations, most people are grateful for the convenience of the online form.

As melo notes, more and more people are deferring music to the parish -- especially since I started setting "standard" hymns rather than fill-in-the-blank.

What is not shown on the form is that every funeral has a sung introit as the priest walks from the sacristy to the entrance of the church, and every funeral ends with In paradisum-Chorus angelorum-Ego sum resurrectio.

Though not permitted at other parish liturgies (to include weddings), songs such as OEW, BNA, etc are permitted for now at funerals. They are somewhat infrequently requested, since they do not appear on my list of suggestions.

This process makes it very straightforward most of the time, and people are often relieved to find that one of the things they most worry about -- details of the funeral liturgy -- can be addressed in just a few minutes. I agree with those who believe that these decisions should not be made the responsibility of a grieving family, but this is where we are for the time being. Also, I believe it is the introduction to the funeral rites themselves which says the family ought to be involved in those decisions.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Mary Ann
  • rogue63
    @JonLaird,

This is really good. This is exemplary! I plan funeral liturgies very much like this (Introit, In paradisum, limited hymn selections, etc.) and this is a real timesaver. Would you mind if I copied this for my own use?
    Thanked by 1JonLaird
  • JonLaird
    Not at all. Anyone who would like it can email me (jlaird@sttimothyparish.org) from a Gmail-based email address, and I'll share you a copy of the Google form.
  • chonakchonak
    Incidentally, thanks to Noel, I've just learned that the diocese of New Ulm has a page providing various exemplary works for funerals, with prominence to the proper chants prescribed by the Church, along with English adaptations of them, including some from CMAA publications.

https://www.dnu.org/funeral-music-2/
  • Excuse me for being a gadfly, but isn't there something intrinsically unliturgical about modular liturgy, where the survivors of the deceased get to choose mix-and-match liturgical parts?

When my son and his fiancée marry next year, in the EF, the Propers of the day take precedence over the nuptial Mass, and that's the end of it. They're choosing a polyphonic ordinary (but the Ordinary is still the ordinary.
  • My last parish: The priest didn't let them pick. If they wanted something, he allowed it if appropriate, but otherwise he didn't even talk about music and I got to choose everything.

Current parish: They have "bereavement ministers" who give them a cruddy list of songs. The music is terrible.

My preference: I would meet with the family. There would be a list that only I would see, and I would suggest songs based on the readings that are cross-referenced to correspond with the Biblical verses and the Propers. The family is too upset to see an entire list, and usually they are having serious communication issues since most families are never truly getting along completely anyway. The hymn for final commendation would not be an option, and Communion would have to be a Communion hymn. Oh, and they would NOT get to choose the music setting of the Responsorial Psalm or the Gospel Acclamation - they would only get to choose which Psalm and which verse!
  • Liam
    "My preference: I would meet with the family. There would be a list that only I would see, and I would suggest songs based on the readings that are cross-referenced to correspond with the Biblical verses and the Propers. The family is too upset to see an entire list, and usually they are having serious communication issues since most families are never truly getting along completely anyway. The hymn for final commendation would not be an option, and Communion would have to be a Communion hymn. Oh, and they would NOT get to choose the music setting of the Responsorial Psalm or the Gospel Acclamation - they would only get to choose which Psalm and which verse!"

I've been on the other side of this twice with my parents in recent years, in parishes where the "bereavement committee" has its lists that list (pun intended) highly contemporary, and I've overriden them with more traditional options in the parish hymnal.
  • GambaGamba
    More theoretical question: has anyone ever seen a funeral (excepting that of a musician or a religious, with a number of sisters/brothers present) in which the congregation sing heartily, or even audibly? I have only ever seen people sitting in silence and listening to the cantor, who could be singing a ballad or a Coptic chant for all anyone cares.

Given that this is the default for most congregations, is there any reason besides “hymn X is familiar and nice” for the spectators not to hear the relevant chants in English (and/or follow the translation of. Latin chants), which encapsulate perfectly the church’s teaching about the Last Things? No one is going to sing, so why do we worry about programming paraphrases of the Subvenite, or other nice hymns which may suit our fancies and be better than OEW, which are theoretically singable by all, but in practice are not sung?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I have found that Spanish language funeral congregations often take up the popular songs and Ordinaries without benefit of hymnals and prompting. It's quite something when it happens.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Round here (centre of the Atlantic Archipelago, aka British Isles) funeral congregations sing hymns relatively well, and having The Lord is my shepherd to CRIMOND in place of the responsorial psalm is well-nigh universal. I don't recall ever seeing a cantor at a funeral.
  • Liam
    Much depends on whether congregations at funerals are mostly drawn from the local parish (may be more likely to be the case with funerals for younger folks) or gathered from divers places. Timing of the funeral also makes a difference: weekday morning funerals tend to be more difficult for people who are not intimates of the deceased's family to be able to get off from work. Saturday morning funerals draw more (but you can't have a Saturday morning funeral for someone who will be buried at a national military cemetery unless burial does not immediately follow the funeral...)