Standard repertoire for specific liturgies?
  • trentonjconn
    What are your thoughts on using a specific (organ, choral, instrumental) piece regularly for a specific liturgical occasion? For example, perhaps playing BWV 729 as a postlude on Christmas every year. Does anyone do this? Is it a cop-out, or perfectly fine? I want to know your opinions.
  • Although it is perfectly acceptable, I do get tired of playing the same piece at too many Christmasses (or other occasions). And, what with there being such a wealth of repertory its a shame (if not pure laziness) never to take advantage of it. Repeat, yes; but don't get stuck in a rut.
  • Trentonjconn,

If you play the same piece as the postlude after Lessons and Carols, you mimic the long tradition of King's College, Cambridge.

If you use the same Gregorian propers for the same Sunday every year, you're in very good company.

On the other hand, if you use the same anthem every Sunday for a month, something's probably wrong. This is especially true if you choose it because you're too lazy (or your choir is too lazy) to learn a new piece. Think Missa de Angelis in many American parishes.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Yes. Be very discriminating about anything that becomes 'proper': once it's there you'll be stuck with it per omnia saecula saeculorum. Generally, anything that has become 'proper' in the way you've described, I NEVER use any other time. 'Once in Royal' is always sing as the first piece in our Carol concert before Midnight Mass: it is sung that day, and that day alone. James Kent's little anthem "I is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord" sets the Offertory for Sunday IV per annum, I use it that day, and never again the rest of the year.