Flex with his pinions
  • gregpgregp
    One year ago, Amy Welborn had a post concerning the frequent misreading of the previous Sunday, in which many people read "striving for immorality" instead of "striving for immortality". What followed were contributions of some of the funniest things I had ever heard. http://amywelborn.typepad.com/openbook/2006/01/striving_for_im.html

I was reminded of this last night as our schola was practicing the Entrance Antiphon for the 1st Sunday of Lent from "By Flowing Waters". The Psalm which goes with the Antiphon is written out with the music, with one unfortunate addition: as we sang it for the first time, one of our newbie members sang right through: "You who live in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, flex: with his pinions". I had a vision of the Heavenly gym, with a pinion machine.

I think we all need a good laugh now and then. Any other submissions?
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I have to be careful with this one.

I served a diocesan parish staffed by Franciscans, and one of the priests was a sweetheart of a pius, quiet, elderly man . . . . with an odd speech impediment. It was a combination of a stutter and a tendancy to drop prefixes on certain words.

With that information firmly in your mind, you can imagine what happened on Easter Sunday when a reference was made to the resurrection of Jesus. You'll have to think that one through carefully, I ain't gonna explain it. Needless to say, when the slip of the tongue happened, the entire choir, who sat on an elevated platform at the very back of the single-story church, bucked and shook and snorted quietly, for about 5 minutes. Then felt guilty about it for the next 20.

The other common one is "prostrate" which has come out as "prostate" many times.
  • Hugh
    The story is told of a certain seminarian (now a priest) that I know, late for Benediction, came rushing through the chapel door and, getting himself all tongue-tied, sang
    "God-hide here in hidding, whom adore I do ..."

HH