bad singing/bad behavior from the 9th century
  • Prompted by a post from M Jackson Osborne, I was reading some medieval monastic texts this morning (I'm on vacation and have time to browse) and came across these gems. They are chapter titles from a customary of St. Adalhard (from which we have only the titles and some fragments, no fragments from these chapters).

Ch. 7. On the torture (cruce) of those who cannot sing or speak and who do not let it go or withdraw and neglect to make corrections

Ch 11. On those who cannot sing the Psalms or those who sing poorly.

Ch. 15 On the fact that even during the night, chattering and giggling goes on among some during the office, and that some even incite others who were not acting in that way to the same behavior

Just thought I'd share, along lines similar to another recent thread, reminding ourselves that some of the challenges we face are perennial.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Alas for the lost content! O how I would love to read it.

Can you give us the original titles?
  • I'm having trouble getting back to the text. (I was reading via VPN through my university library site, which doesn't seem to be working for me now.) The text is in volume 1 of Corpus Consuetudinum Monasticarum (ed Semmler), somewhere in the mid to late page 300s.

When I return home I'll do it from campus and then should be able to get the text. Sorry about that.
    Thanked by 1igneus