Sacred Liturgy: Mary or Martha?
  • SalieriSalieri
    In The Thread that Shall Not Be Named, forum-member davido says the following:
    When I go to mass, I frequently have no desire to sing. Partly it’s the lousy music, partly it’s wrestling with toddlers, but mostly, I would rather listen and meditate.

I think the reality of the mass encourages meditation more than robust singing.

Which raises an interesting question: Should the Catholic Liturgy (Mass/Divine Liturgy & Office), in its authentic tradition, East & West, be more Mary or Martha? And, does the participation of the people, as it has come to be gradually understood, namely "active participation"--and I would argue that this actually began in Tra le sollicitudini of Pius X--push for one over the other, and has this in fact had detrimental effects on Catholic liturgical praxis and Catholic identity?
    Thanked by 1toddevoss
  • Carol
    Salieri, I love your bolded title! The toddler problem has increased recently in my parish. I am happy we have young families and I do recall the struggle to keep my sons quiet during Mass. Therefore I try to have patience; however, my husband and I did remove our children from the church if they became a noisy distraction. I have been tempted to offer an article for the parish bulletin on tips for parents about how to train their children to behave during Mass.

Not sure I would characterize your question in terms of Mary or Martha, but I get your question. Ideally, all that occurs during a celebration of the Eucharist should be active- actively praying, actively meditating, actively singing, actively listening. Being physically present but not spiritually there is not that useful to the person in the pew. Sometimes you start out as the bump on the log and then, thanks be to God, you are transformed into being actively at the Sacrifice.

Thank you for asking this question!
  • Caleferink
    I'm no theologian, but I'd say there's Mary AND Martha in the liturgy of the Church. Communal worship involves elements of both. I think if you're involved in some sort of ministry like most of us in this forum probably are, be it ordained or lay, we do a lot of Martha so that others can be Mary. Our Lord wasn't chastising Martha for her service per se, but rather for her "Mary-isn't-doing-anything" attitude. For the person in the pews, it's more possible to be a Mary, but there are little Martha elements for them as well, such as the ritual gestures all are called to perform (bowing, genuflections, signs of the cross, orans at the Lord's Prayer, etc.).
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Liam
    And let's not consider the Martha and Mary of Luke 10 without considering the Martha and Mary of John 11, where it is Martha who engages in a double profession of faith in Jesus unlike any other disciple before the Resurrection (not just the more obvious verse 27, but in a different way, verses 21-22 - the word νῦν translated into English as "even now" contains an immensity). The Martha of John 11 takes no prisoners, as it were, basically her confession comprises a version of "You are God - so do now what you came to us to do", going even farther than Jacob wrestling with the angel in Genesis 32 or the BVM at Cana in John 2. (I love the cut of this Martha's jib. Her faith and hope are...fierce.)
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • rich_enough
    Recently I've read a number of comments (in connection with this interesting article in Commonweal of all places) from people saying that the older form of the mass is much more conducive to praying for them since they suffer from ADD. The As currently celebrated in most places the mass is done (in my opinion) too much of a "one-size-fits-all" kind of way: extroverted, active, ears up and eyes open all the time. It tends to be verbal, out loud, lights on in full color, with little room for silence, meditation, or even a few seconds just to take in what's going on. I can see how a person with ADD would find it very unsettling.

So, yes - a little more "Mary" would be welcome. It "should" be more interior and contemplative than active, because it is that way. Seems incontrovertible that there's been a grievous over-emphasis on the latter over the former, with the deleterious consequences we can see all around us.
  • It is interesting that some of the viewpoints (not necessarily this thread, but from others related to "congregational participation") take on the prejudice expressed by Martha when she complained to Jesus about Mary's lack of participation... sometimes it is quite overt; other times it may be inadvertent. For some on this forum it seems that lack of outward participation indicates lack of inward commitment on the part of the person in question. Certainly true that for some people, a lack of participation may very likely be a result of distraction... but that really isn't the question when we compare Mary and Martha.

For this reason, I find it disconcerting when individuals speak dogmatically about behaviors. Dogma IS absolute, but human behavior and the way in which we respond to the grace of God is not. Just as different music has different characteristics - some is more intellectual, some is more emotional and there is place for both in the Liturgy - so too might we consider standards of participation vs. contemplation.

I've always wondered whether part of the issue is buried in the mores of our times... things aren't "real" unless one is actively engaged. We can no longer go to the museum and study the art - we have to take video and engage in selfies. Not so that we can review the art later, but so that we can post on social media and prove that we "lived" the art.

We can no longer attend Mass in silence and contemplate the Mystery; we must "experience" the Mass, we must "live" it by taking an active role. Not only that, we apparently must confront others who aren't "active", as if it lessens the Liturgy in some way.

But at the end of the day, Liturgy is God-centric, in and of itself, completely independent of participation or not on the part of those present. The degree to which we participate or contemplate is person-centric. Not everyone is the same, not everyone would respond emotionally and intellectually to the act of worship in precisely the same way.

Caleferink mentioned above that some / many / hopefully all of us in music are there to facilitate prayer of others. I've always felt that the reason Augustine spoke about "he who sings, prays twice" was because of the act of charity in setting aside one's method of prayer - perhaps one's PREFERRED method of prayer - in order to facilitate the contemplation of others.

In the words of Christ: "Mary hath chosen the best part, which shall not be taken away from her."

With that by way of backdrop:
    Should the Catholic Liturgy (Mass/Divine Liturgy & Office), in its authentic tradition, East & West, be more Mary or Martha?

I would posit that the Liturgy should be the Liturgy, and that there is room for both Martha and Mary in our practice therein.
    ... does [active participation of the people] push for one over the other?

I believe there are those who try to enforce "active participation" rather like those that hang out in the fast lane doing 55. I think what started as an encouragement - "we encourage people to take a more active role in the Liturgy" somehow was twisted into a mandate, and some take no prisoners in trying to adhere to that "mandate".
    ... has this in fact had detrimental effects on Catholic liturgical praxis and Catholic identity?
    Personally, mixed response. I think "yes" to the extent that for some people "participation" becomes the end in and of itself, or when it becomes the means by which to judge our fellow Catholics. In a fair number of cases, my own observation is that it tends to diminish the august nature of the Sacrifice, that many treat the Mass casually and that the "participation" is simply rote. I think "no" to the extent that for some, participation has been a path to meaningful and genuine interaction with the Mass.

Good questions!
  • CharlesSA
    I think it was Pius XII that mentioned that the *primary* active participation that is important for the one assisting at the liturgy is *interior.* Right in the same spot (I have no recollection in which document this is - perhaps others would know better), it then clearly says at least that the exterior, visible signs of participation are very important as well (though secondary!), and can indeed help one to attain that primarily important interior participation.

I think there are legitimate arguments to make, on many different bases - theology, philosophy, tradition, psychology, etc. - on what the ideal type of participation in liturgy is, but it seems that even if there is an objective ideal that has the support of popes (such as the support which the last century has seen for "active participation"), it remains true that everyone has a different way of praying and experiencing liturgy. It doesn't seem quite proper to alter a liturgy (such as in the "reforms" of the 60s) to fit a certain supposed ideal, at the cost of ignoring its tradition as a whole and even losing its identity.

I'm not sure that the recent (i.e. last century) push on active participation, per se, has had detrimental effects; I don't see how any honest, faithful Catholic could be opposed to the idea of (rightly understood) active participation. It is precisely the *incorrect* understanding of it which has been detrimental to "liturgical praxis" and Catholic identity. That is, a certain "forced" way of participation (as an above poster said it, a "one-size-fits-all liturgy"), and, due to a certain emphasis on vocal or exterior participation, a loss of the things that until recently were characteristic of the Roman Rite (and, it seems, most Western ones), such as Latin and Gregorian chant (both of which affect "identity" in my opinion), among other things.
  • hilluminar
    But the Mass is the PUBLIC prayer of the Church. One can pray and meditate all they want privately. I think that people are crying out here for time to have private meditation. And in our world of wage slaves, no one has time for anything; therefore, they try to make time during the Mass. Somehow, people must be given more leisure time. Time for personal prayer.
    Thanked by 1ebullock
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    It's not that they don't have time. It's that they don't take time. Prayer is not a priority for most.
  • 'Active participation' is a rather odd phrase -- what would 'passive participation' be? Participation is already an *activity* (in the sense of 'something one does" rather than "something one suffers" (in the archaic sense of 'to suffer').

Often, the phrase begins to take on serious meaning in the course of decrying some real or alleged deficiency in the condition of the people. In Sacrosanctum Concilium, for example, one finds mention of or allusion to the people's lack of understanding of the liturgy, failure to be enriched by the liturgy, failure to build or maintain a true Christian community, and so on.

The phrase thus takes on more positive meaning when it takes the form of recommendations about specific forms of participation that are supposed to remedy these real or alleged problems. In Sacrosanctum Concilium, for example, one finds a preference for the "communal" over "individual and quasi-private" celebration of rituals, when it is possible "according to their specific nature". More specifically, it encourages participation by means of "acclamations, responses, psalmody, antiphons, and songs, as well as by actions, gestures, and bodily attitudes." And so on. You all know the text.

These recommendations are quite general, and allow for quite some range of practices.

What I see amongst some 'liturgists' and in practice in many churches is that these very general ideas about how to address the mentioned real or alleged deficiencies in the condition of the people often take on increasingly specific forms. The resulting practices have sometimes become, to my mind, increasingly suspect as a general solution to the problems that are supposedly being addressed, looking increasingly like the manifestation of various questionable political (in the broad sense), artistic, or intellectual agendas, and the unnecessary and unhelpful imposition of those agendas on the people.

My impression could be wrong, and I won't stand by it, but I do stand by the general point that there is little to be gained by insisting, as some do, that specific forms of participation are 'the correct' way to participate in mass. This practice of presenting specific forms of participation -- forms that might indeed be helpful to some people or to address some problems -- as universal mandates seems especially prevalent and problematic when it concerns social and bodily aspects of participation. (Perhaps that prevalence is simply a function of the fact that the mind police just aren't, in general, very good at controlling individuals' minds.)

For example, I'm not comfortable sharing my private 'intentions' during the prayers of the faithful (that's why they are private), nor holding hands during the Pater Noster. How does creating a general expectation of these forms of 'participation' help me? They are mercifully not present in my present parish, I hasten to add, which is one of the reasons that I have chosen be a member there.
    Thanked by 2Incardination Carol
  • hilluminar, is the Mass less the PUBLIC prayer of the Church if I do not sing from the pews? I don't understand the point you are making.

A priest offers a Mass completely by himself - is it not still the public prayer of the Church? A deacon prays the Divine Office by himself - is it not still the public prayer of the Church? Would we say that the priest who reads his breviary is somehow not praying the public prayer of the Church because he is not reading it aloud?

I'm not trying to be difficult - I just don't really see the point that you are making. What does MY participation have to do with whether or not the Mass is the public prayer of the Church?
    Thanked by 1CharlesSA
  • Liam
    That's a legalistic frame. Another frame is eschatological. The Mass is also a foretaste of the Wedding Banquet of The Lamb. If we are blessed at the end of our life to be welcomed that banquet, would our question be "what does my participation have to do with this?"
  • SalieriSalieri
    On the other hand, eschatologically speaking, (and I don't know if this is heretical or not) if, God willing, I obtain eternal life, I don't, per se, envision myself DOING anything. I have never been one of those people who say "When I'm in heaven I'll be playing trio sonatas with Corelli", or such like. I imagine myself just BEING, in the eternal present, embraced in the all-encompassing and unending love of my Creator, and with my intellect purified from earthly frailty and distraction, contemplating for ever Him Whom I love.

And to me, THAT'S what the Mass should be a foretaste of.
  • Liam
    It's not an either/or.

Contemplatives sing - it's part of what grounds, reinforces and raises/lifts contemplation. The Scriptures and tradition are replete with that sensibility. Are the angels in their song of praise not in contemplation?

This is not a badger into singing. But the "why should I?" approach has a much stronger whiff of minimalism than of longing for contemplation. (I can understand why particular pieces of music may indeed obstruct contemplation, but a more across the board attitude is harder to square.)

PS: I don't pretend to know/predict what I would be/do in Heaven if I were blessed to be welcomed there. I would hope the habits of my life would incline me to be . . . open. From there, I trust God's prompting over any expectation on my part (expectation being more a mortal thing than hope: expectation is premeditated resentment, which is not of God).

Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    But for me the biggest problem with active participation as it has come to be practiced in most parishes, and, sadly, seems to be encouraged by the Novus Ordo books, is that it denies any kind of mystical elements. (I don't know if that's the right phrase.) The unrelenting talk, and constant activity, which seems to be all that is expected for the facile and superficial liturgical participation of today, is a distraction from the true task at hand. It's too much. Too much talking, too much noise. I am not saying that all music is a distraction from the contemplation of divine things, far from it, but the idea that everyone has to be doing all of the things all of the time, or else they aren't participating is ludicrous. I am ever more a believer that exterior participation must simultaniously arise from interior participation (contemplation/meditation) and lead back to it again. YMMV, of course, and not to say that those with other opinions are wrong, this just seems to be where I'm "at" in my "spiritual journey".
  • Liam, it seems you misread my words. I did not say, "what does my participation have to do with this?". The question was, "should I choose not to sing at Mass, how does that influence whether or not the Mass is the public prayer of the Church?"

Nor was it a question of being physically present but mentally disassociated from the Mass... "minimalism" as you phrased it. If one unites oneself to the Mass in quiet prayer, does this diminish either the value of the Sacrifice OR the value of one's prayer?

I think not.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Active participation by the faithful should be understood as singing when the congregation are supposed to be singing a given part of the liturgy that pertains to them. It also should be understood as genuflecting (all the way) when entering one's pew, bowing (a real bow) at the et incarnatus est, making the sign of the cross at appropriate places, audibly voicing the congregation's part of any and all dialogue, bowing the head at every mention of the Trinity and at the holy Name of Jesus.

Active participation should also be understood as meditating on the lectionary as it is read, reflecting on the awful mystery of the eucharistic feast and sacrifice, cultivating good will towards all present, getting lost in wonder (when one isn't supposed to be singing) at the Divine Presence, and cultivating a heart thankful for all of God's mercies, and pledging one's entire self to serving the Lord through the day and week as his mysteries unfold before us.

The liturgy, whether EF or OF, or some other rite, is so conceived that one is compelled to offer him- or herself both in an inward and an outward manner at various points of the liturgy. Those who sing heartily but never reflect on what they are singing or on the sacred mysteries are not participating fully. Likewise, those who would contemplate but rarely sing or speak are not participating fully. We should be both Mary and Martha in our worship. Mary and Martha are two sides of the same coin, and few of us is only one or the other.

It is obvious that both the outward and inward participation is enough to occupy one's whole being in praise and wonder, thankfulness and petition. We are, though, so charged to participate inwardly and outwardly as appropriate at specific moments of the Eucharistic Sacrifice.
  • And yet, Jackson, this is precisely the crux of the issue. "Participation" isn't a cookie-cutter, one size fits all kind of thing. It is something that is personal. I shouldn't be paying attention to whether or not Joe is following the prayers of the missal and Sue is singing for the hymn (unless Joe or Sue are my children). You clearly feel "compelled" to sing. I do not. And the fact that I do not does not - in any way - lessen the public nature of the Sacrifice, nor does it influence how you choose to "participate" four pews over.

We are NOT "charged" to participate. We are "encouraged" to do so. There is a vast difference between the two.
  • CharlesW
    I always hope that people will sing during hymns, ordinary and responses. I can't make them sing. All I can do is choose music they can sing, they know, and are more likely to want to sing. These are adults not first graders. I can't withhold recess if they don't comply.
  • I can't withhold recess if they don't comply.

But you could program Wagner. (Purple).

I don't think there is any question that the Church asks us to participate with both body and soul. My (serious) question is this: When a specific parish (whose celebration you happen to be attending for whatever reason) adopts a specific form of participation that you (speaking to everybody here, not specifically CharlesW) find to be unhelpful or distracting for yourself, do you do it anyway: never, sometimes, always? Why or why not?

(I'm not talking about actions that are specified in some official manner by the Church, Conference of Bishops, what have you.)
  • "Actuosa" doesn't mean "ACTIVE", i.e., bee-like in a hive.

I know most here know that, but it bears repeating.

With that in mind, Pius XII nailed this completely to the flagpole: individuals are at individual places in regard to their love of God, so uniform participation is not to be expected or striven for. Some are in the state of grace, while others are not; the latter group can't actually participate at Mass, even though they can conform their outward actions to the expected norms.
  • Well for those who would like to look it up in one click, at least according to one standard source, here is what actuosus means (there are always alternatives and longer stories to tell about meaning, of course):

(then click the link to "Lewis and Short"). As suggested, it does not mean the same as 'activus', though the words are closely related:

Of course, the words 'active' and 'activity', as well as 'activus' and 'actuosus', themselves carry many meanings, both quotidian and technical. Sorting it all out requires more than a dictionary look-up, which is just the start. Here is an article that might be interesting, with some links to others in the comments:

Thanked by 1mmeladirectress