when to speak to new pastor
  • teachermom24
    This is a little different from Saleri's thread and I don't want to derail that one so will start afresh.

In two weeks, we are getting a new pastor after 6 years with one who has destroyed whatever there was of sacred music in our parish. My son is the church organist (reduced to two Masses per month--there are three Masses offered per weekend) and I the former choir director (dismissed four years ago). What's the protocol in this situation? Not only protocol, but what would be prudent? Wait and see? Meet with the new pastor early on? Just pray?
  • MarkB
    I don't think there's a protocol. Just invite the new pastor out to lunch or dinner or even breakfast or coffee after weekday morning Mass as a friendly welcome gesture, get to know him and let him get to know you. I would strongly advise you not to hammer the new pastor with demands or complaints or suggestions how to do his job. Welcome him, be friendly, offer your help. The new pastor will probably be able to tell if you're angling for an advantage or have an agenda, so don't come on strong. Take the long view. He's going to be there awhile. He'll get to know the parish and the people, who could be of help, and who could help him realize his vision for the parish.
  • Teachermom,

Mark has some sound advice, but I think I want to probe a bit more into your question.

Your question, "What's the protocol in this situation?" needs to be met with a rejoinder: "Protocol for what situation?"

a) protocol for the arrival of a new pastor? Try singing "Ecce Sacerdos Magnus" for his first Mass
    b) protocol for redressing the problem of the state of the liturgy? Let him discover what is already there, before you offer to help him fix it.
    c) protocol for avoiding a train wreck at his first Mass: that's up to the current music director and other musicians. I've written to an incoming priest to introduce myself and ask about things such as how many notes he needs to have before singing the incipit of the Gloria, whether he's a tenor, bass or baritone, and whether current practice (include laundry list) can, should, or must be maintained.

Everyone else will want to monopolize the priest's time when he first arrives. Be part of the group that waits until the first wave has passed.

Thanked by 1teachermom24
  • CharlesW
    I wouldn't burden the new guy with all that went wrong in the past. Sometimes it is easy to get stuck there and not move on to the here and now. Be supportive and ferret out what his views are on music and where he would like the parish to be in the future. Then work within his framework. Sometimes it isn't what you say but how you say it that gets you what you want.
    Thanked by 2teachermom24 Carol
  • Liam
    ...Sing "Ecce Sacerdos Magnus" for him if and he becomes a bishop....or if the bishop comes to that first Mass....

To the OP's question: everyone and their mother hurls things at new pastors. Understand you'd be but one of many. If he's been a pastor elsewhere, he may have learned how to not reveal his cards. If he's a newbie at pastoring, this may be his lesson to learn that one.
  • Liam,

Hyperbole. Sorry if I confused you (or anyone else).

One could sing, however, in all seriousness "Tu es sacerdos in aeternum".
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • “It seems like I’ve done a little of everything so if you need anything, just call or text.” Seconding everything everyone said. You end up (as I did) serving five Masses in a row when everyone is out of town for Christmas, but at least everyone smiles when they see me.

Addressing problems: later. FWIW.

Kenneth
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • teachermom24
    Thanks, all. We'll invite him to a party at our house early August to send off our college students. In the meantime, will just pray.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Carol
  • Since your current pastor is leaving, presumably the week before the new on arrives, you could begin right off doing the music that is fitting, things that you wish to introduce, and leave it to the new pastor to comment on it. Doing this would in no way prejudice what the new pastor might want (if he even has definite plans-ideas), it would just open the door and present him with a better paradigm or vision than you have at this time.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    You should probably find out where he lives now and drive out to his home right now in the middle of the night.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    @matthewj -- When we got a new pastor two years ago, I did exactly this: as soon as I learned where he lived, I went straight there and knocked on the door until he let me in. I brought him my spare copy of the Triplex and all my Laszlo Dobszay books.

First thing he did when he took the reins: he quadrupled my salary and hired 12 section leaders @ $75/call!

10/10, would recommend.
    200 x 194 - 9K
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Matthew,

I think you were kidding. You were, weren't you?

Irish tenor,

The one really positive part about that approach is that you and he knew exactly where you stood. I bought a pair of shoes like that once.

• matthewjmatthewj
    I think you were kidding. You were, weren't you?

Me? Kid? Never...

Also if they don't open the door when you knock, you should check the windows to see if any are open, and if so climb in and wait for the priest to return home. This might require climbing up to the second floor.

Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen