Technology to help a choir learn
  • PolskaPiano
    We have a faithful, large, but unbalanced choir with very weak tenors. I am not familiar with a lot of technology, so I am hoping some of you here have resources for me: What would be an effective and practical way to use technology to help the choir learn parts? I have previously recorded myself playing each line on an electric piano that has a USB port, but if I make a mistake I have to start from the beginning. I see no way to edit the song. Are there other options I am missing?
  • Incardination
    I have found Finale (or comparable software) to be very helpful. There is a degree of work involved inputting the music, but you can take shortcuts if you aren't using it for the group to sing from (you don't have to do all the formatting in that case). If you do the formatting, then there is an added benefit that you have clean copies to produce for your group. All of our music is public domain (at least what I put in Finale - or we have sufficient purchased copies), but if you are using copyright music, you do have to take some precautions in that regard to ensure you are legally compliant.

From Finale, you can output the music as wav files. There are free converter softwares available to change the wav files to mp3. I should point out that Finale gives lots of flexibility to put in tempo changes, some ability to set dynamics, the ability to control volume of different voices separately, with a wide selection of instruments to select from. There are several advantages - one is that the PC always plays back correctly what you've input. Another is that you can VERY easily transpose to different keys as needed.

There is also the ability to export to pdf files, and free software to combine pdf files - so I can create a larger pdf of multiple motets, for example.

For our group, I created a Google Group (free), which also gives me a shared Drive and set a shared Calendar. One of my members wrote an app that reads the Calendar and my music schedule / practice schedule Excel files from the Drive to automatically send all members reminder e-mails that include what will be practiced and what music will be sung, who the cantors are, etc.. for each practice and Mass. Members have the ability to opt-out of receiving the e-mails.

So on the Drive, I have a folder for sheet music, a folder for playback files (which you can modify in Finale to bring one part over the others), a folder for schedules etc.. We use the Group site (more sparingly than I would like) to post policies or group announcements.

I have separate folders for other purposes like weddings and workshops.

Some members prefer to use mobile devices to read the music online rather than the printed books I provide. I'm fine as long as they annotate the music in either location.
  • Laser technology. I use a laser printer to print large solfeggio syllables and a laser pointer to point to them. That’s a good choir warm up for learners.
  • I would avoid all the modern technology and, instead, practice with patience, repetition, color-coded stuff.....

• Kathy
    Before making recordings, try to find them on the internet. It saves so much time to just be able to link to things.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • mmeladirectress

_
  • Schönbergian
    I believe Carus' (commercial) solution uses a recording of the piece with the piano doubling whatever part needs to be learned, and only that part. I imagine this wouldn't be too hard to set up in Finale using the built-in MIDI and choir/piano synths.
    Thanked by 1PolskaPiano
  • Kathy.

Time saved can be valuable, but the recordings our choir members find on their own often don't reflect the conducting and performance practice of our choir director. Rather than saving time, this situation makes the problem worse.

Thanked by 1Incardination
  • dad29
    conducting and performance practice of our choir director

Hear, Hear!!

Derived from the above: being part of a singing choir and 'hearing/singing' in that context is FAR different from listening to a recording and attempting to hear/sing from that.
  • Incardination
    Dad, I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting replacing practice with recordings. The recordings are a tool (much like sol-fege) that can aid members to learn pitches and perhaps provide some idea of the intended nuance.

While I personally find more value in doing Finale recordings than grabbing something from YouTube (precisely because different groups / directors have different styles), it doesn't mean that recordings in general can't be ONE of the valuable tools used to teach music.
  • andreasadiandreasadi
    Musescore(tm) will help your tenor member learn well(it help me too ;) ). It's free.
    There are some midi file on cpdl or imslp(i forget the name).
    Better if they can make midi files for themself.
    Of course,all technology from computer software not intended to replace true rehearsal and training for your choir performance.

Good luck.
  • Carol
    Many pieces that are classical rather than sacred can be found on Cyberbass which can be used for free. My husband uses Finale as outlined above by Incardination with our choir since he arranges most of the hymns we sing into 3 part arrangements for our 12 voice/3 or 4 men group. By hearing the line prominently but in the context of the harmony, it speeds up the learning process for those who don't read music much at all. Over the past 4 years this group has improved their ability to master new music. Of course this is just a supplement to real rehearsals.
  • PolskaPiano
    I am coming back to say "thank you" and clarify some things: we do rehearse quite a bit. A disproportionate amount of time is spent going over parts multiple times for the tenors. The rest of the choir gets a bit frustrated. The tenor who struggles the most for pitch puts in rehearsal time at home and does really well if I have a recording for him. The other tenor is good with pitch when he gets it, but is half deaf and struggles to hear. I believe a recording at home given before I introduce a song to the choir will do wonders for him keeping up in rehearsal. We have a third and very good tenor who has stepped down for a bit with a new baby at home (and I think feeling tired of keeping the tenor section up).

• PolskaPiano
    So, Incardination, that is amazing. I am a huge fan of Google Suites for keeping a group on the same page, but haven't nearly utilized it as much as you have. I music plan on Google Docs. The choir has access and can get email updates when changes have been made. I have also given my right hand woman editing power to fix the page number mistakes she always seems to find! I love your ideas with the folders with music and audio files kept in one place!

About the music writing programs: is the technology there to scan music in or am I inputting the tenor part note by note?

Kathy- that is valuable advice. We do use YouTube and have benefitted from already produced videos featuring part learning. However, that is the exception.

As far as Spotify- that intrigues me? We are still mainly a GIA parish. Maybe 1/4 of the songs we sing are public domain hymns. is Spotify mainly for the classical pieces? I will set up a free account to check it out. It wouldn't have been on my radar besides the enthusiastic recommendation.
  • Incardination
    There is an option for transcribing music as you play into Finale... but I was never successful in that regard, partly because my keyboard skills are minimal, partly because little nuances in tempo were interpreted very strictly by Finale so it picked up very odd rhythms rather than what I had actually intended. I suspect that they have improved that aspect of the product since I first tried it many years ago!!

There is also a scan function - but I have not used that either. I've heard that the configuration with the scanner can occasionally be a challenge, and that the music needs to be a printed score, not hand-written. Having used OCR when it first came out, I felt that there were likely to be too many things that I'd have to fix (and potentially miss), plus I typically edit things at least a little bit.

For me, therefore, it is note by note... but you would likely be able to use these other options. OCR has vastly improved, and I believe having Finale transcribe your played music likely would work better for you than it did for me.

Sounds like you've got a lot of good things going on!!
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    If you're looking for software try Musescore, it's free and as functional as Finale. Our music director has made cds for us and does each part separately. She uses a digital recording device like you would find at a good music store or Best Buy then transfers the mp3 to CD.