Sacred musician without a "situation"
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    I am a serious-minded, orthodox Catholic sacred musician dedicated to the "reform of the reform," and find myself without a job as of March 6.

I am an organist and choir trainer (experienced working with both adults and children in all-volunteer choirs) with knowledge of the papal, curial and magisterial teachings of the Church in matters of liturgy and music. I'm committed to restoring the use of Gregorian chant and chant-based polyphony into the liturgy of the Church.

I hold a Doctor of Musical Arts degree in organ and church music from the University of Michigan.

I currently live in the northern Midwest (Twin Cities area of Minnesota), and am willing to relocate.

My e-mail address is included in my member profile, and welcome any and all inquiries.

In Christ,

David Saunders
  • We all need to hold David up through our prayers.
  • I'll add a Decade to a spiritual bouquet for our colleague.
  • David,
    Check your email
    C
  • athome
    David,
    You are in my prayers today. How wonderfully fortunate and blessed the next Church you serve at will be to have someone of so much knowledge and dedication to the Liturgy!
    May peace be with you.
    Adam
  • David, So sorry to hear this. My prayers for a quick turnaround and an even better situation.
  • CharlesW
    It has seemed, from reading some of your earlier posts, like this place was not a good match with you to begin with. Prayers that you find a position that is perfect for you, and that you have great people to work with.
  • Prayers that the Lord may allocate your talents to a more appropriate section of His vineyard, as He wills.
  • Pes
    My dear priests, here is a man who can do a great deal of good.
  • Kathy
    David, I will be praying for you, and will also be sure to let you know about any leads. God bless you--Adam is right, your next parish will be blessed to have you.
  • VickiW
    David, you have been added to my daily prayer list and will stay on it as long as need be. I hope your search will be a short one.
    I am greatly humbled by the outpouring of prayers and e-mails with information for job possibilities.

I will offer thanksgivings during Mass tomorrow for the charity being shown to me by the members of this forum.

Peace to you all.

David
  • ghmus7
    Dear David:
    Did you notice two positions in the "Jobs" part of the forum?
    1.The cathedral in Shreveport La
    2.The Cathedral in Fort Worth Tx.
    Both positions, especially the on in La are very committed to chant and the reform of the reform. I know that the rector of the Shreveport Cathedral recently attended a workshop on music for the EF, and is desirous of chant and music of beauty.
    God Bless you.
    I am pleased to announce that beginning July 1 I will assume the duties of Director of Music at Our Lady of Mount Carmel, Wyandotte Michigan.

I will be succeeding Dr. Steven Ball, a colleague and good friend as well as random participant in discussion threads here and at NLM.

It's an unusual parish in that it is one of, if not the largest parish of Polish ethnicity in the Archdiocese of Detroit, and they wish to preserve their unique Polish identity while also beginning the slow and methodical advance of the reintroduction of chant and polyphony into their liturgical life.

There are some truly unique things happening at this otherwise rather unassuming parish. For instance, there is a Polish language Mass every weekend. Everything, including the hymnody, is in Polish. With one important exception. They have continued without interruption to maintain the chanting of the Asperges (Vidi aquam in Paschaltide) in Latin immediately followed by the Kyrie at the beginning of Mass; a hold-over from the Missal of 1962. The 12 Noon Mass congregation has been singing various parts of the Ordinary in Latin (Mass VIII) for many years. The only instrument in the cavernous Baroque building is a pipe organ. Never had a piano, never will. There has never been a "guitar Mass", "folk Mass" or even a "Polka Mass" as a part of their tradition, so far as I know and have been made to understand. No cantors up at the front caterwauling their way through a tortured psalm setting, or punishing the people with their over-amplified voice on a microphone.

The ground here is fertile, and for the most part free of the ravages of the "season of silliness." Thanks to the hard work of Dr. Ball and his assistant (who will remain on staff after his departure), the good work begun can continue to be built upon.

I will be asking for advice on this board periodically, and at some point in the near future, with the Pastor's permission, I'll be launching a blog for the purposes of chronicling the work.

My thanks to all who have offered prayers either specifically for me or generally for any of us who have been displaced either by the economy or the ongoing political tensions in the Church.

I have found great comfort in the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, and I urge anyone suffering from any pain or distress to remember that it is in His Heart that we must place all of our pain and our trust in His great mercy. (Is it any wonder that in images and prayer cards Jesus is shown pointing at His Heart, as if to say, "here is where your pain belongs"?
  • The best of all wishes!
  • francis
    DA

Good to know that you have found a home. Blessed be the hearts of Jesus and Mary.
  • VickiW
    Sounds like a great job. I am so happy for you.
  • Congrats! Some of the Polish parishes here are similar. I have recently set all three weeks of Gorke Zale in English for a local Polish parish ( Lent Lamentations) the melodies are rooted in chant and the Renaissance with some very characteristic Polish harmonies.
  • marajoymarajoy
    congratulations, David Andrew. And where is Steven Ball going?
    Well, I'm not at liberty to give details. I will only say that his responsibilities at the University of Michigan have increased and he also serves as organist at the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament Detroit for many of the Pontifical celebrations, so his time is already very thinly divided.