Speakers for Hauptwerk organ
  • A friend has obtained an incredible "hauptwork" organ.

Can someone with real experience (and expertise) explain which speakers are good for this?

Thanks in advance
  • Marc Cerisier
    It depends on the size of the room and budget. For my instrument, I have two Behringer 2031a 8” active monitors along with an active 10” sub (I don’t have the model handy). The room has a peak height of 16’, and is prob. about 300 sq ft, and has a pretty good acoustic. The monitors are pretty clean but are weak on low frequencies. A 10” sub is good down to 16’ stops, and larger ones can handle 32’ stops, but I don’t have any in the sample set I use.
    Thanked by 132ContraBombarde
  • tomjaw
    Make sure that the speakers are not over amplified. Generally bigger speakers are better than smaller ones. But all depends on the size of the room.
  • IMO, Behringer Truth 2031a is the best active monitor you'll find for Hauptwerk. You want studio monitors rather than standard "speakers," since they are specifically designed with no eq modification. Many studio monitors only work well at close-range, but the 2031a performs well even in a large room. I installed a 10-channel 3M/P Hauptwerk organ at Our Lady of Guadalupe Seminary in Denton, NE around 2012 (to bridge the gap until they got their pipe organ installed just this year). This is a big building with a huge acoustic (3-4 second reverb decay). 6 2031a monitors were really the backbone of the 8', 4', 2', and mixture ranks, and provided more than ample volume and clarity. There were also two custom-built 3-way organ speakers which drove the 16' ranks, and some of the bigger reeds. Then a VTF-15H active sub provided mixdown bass with true reproduction down to 16hz, meaning real sounding of the bottom C on the 32' pedal ranks.

I now have an 8-channel setup at home, and a pair of 2031a monitors are also the foundation of my audio system. I've tried other speakers, other monitors, etc. Nothing quite compares to the quality and performance of the 2031a.

For reference of what 6 2031a's can handle with ease:

• noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Anyone considering HW would be wise to join the Facebook Hauptwork Organ group.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    I am a geek, and only geeks would purchase a Hauptwerk