Bringing 16th c. polyphony to Starbucks! (Domine, Salva Nos by Seth Calvisius)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Hello! It's been a long time, but I thought of all the people who might enjoy this, you all would appreciate this performance by my daughter and her friend. They sang an eclectic program of Broadway, pop and renaissance pieces at the Farmingdale Train Station Starbucks last night. The Domine, Salva Nos, a piece they've been working at for more than two years, was my personal favorite. A most extraordinary word-picture:

Domine, salva nos, perimus.
    Et surgens imperavit ventis et mari.
    Et facta est tranquillitas magna.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYZPTVqfdyk&feature=youtu.be

Score: http://www2.cpdl.org/wiki/images/1/13/Calvisius-Domine,_salva_nos.pdf
  • Julie,

Welcome back to the Forum.

I've never seen Domine, salva nos, perimus, but now I have a new composer and piece to add to the 2-voice music I can enjoy. Did he write much like this?

I think there's a misprint in the score you posted, though. In measure 13, the f in the 1st Voice, in the penultimate beat, seems to need to be a g, rather than an f.

Where can I learn more about Seth Calvisius?
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • mmeladirectress
    I made one of my rare visits to Starbucks earlier today, and thought about bringing them some back issues of Birdwatchers Digest for their tables. This is far better !! thank you for sharing!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Hi Chris! So nice to be back. Thanks SO much for the correction. You people are amazingly brilliant! That is exactly where things get dicey when they practice this. I will tell their teacher.

I don't know anything about Seth Calvisius, but would love to learn more. This is an extraordinary piece.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Great idea about Birdwatchers Digest! Speaking of which I saw a beautiful tiny yellow/green bird the other day. Couldn't figure out what it was.

This Starbucks advertises for local musicians to perform, so we thought it would be a great place for our girls to start taking their show on the road. Next time we'll bring a PA system; it was hard to hear them when the machines were running. They did some Hebrew, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDsAZgTgwx0&feature=youtu.be
  • Carol
    We used to sing at Barnes and Noble night for the Catholic school where I taught. At first they wouldn't allow a sound system, but they eventually did as long as it was low volume. It is very hard to sing over the sound of a latte being prepared!
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The CPDL work page, to which I added a ScoreError template, can be seen here.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks so much. It's an incredible piece.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

JULIE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thank you, Stimson! Don't quite know how I dropped off the radar screen for so long. Hope you're all doing well.
  • eft94530eft94530
    The length of absence guarantees you have finished your catacomb digging.
    We want the architect plans.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Hi EFT!

Catacomb digging is on hold. Awaiting news about the future location of our Latin Mass community. The Queens chapel will unfortunately have to be demolished because of structural defects so we will be moving at some point. Not sure where, though.

We now have a website which has some great pictures of the chapel.

Speaking of catacombs, my son had to venture into the dark basement recesses of the cemetery chapel last week to find my folding chair, and he was pretty spooked.
  • toddevoss
    JulieColl - is there "room" for your community at Our Lady of Peace in Brooklyn? Hope you can find a home well before demolition.
  • The MET - The Cloisters

A great Cross-Promotion.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Wouldn't that be spectacular, Noel? Thanks for the kind thought, toddevoss! There's supposed to be an announcement fairly soon.
    Thanked by 1toddevoss
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Note that, the CPDL score is a faithful transcription from the source "Biciniorum" (1612), so that the "error" must have occurred over 400 years ago. See my post here.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CGM
    a brief biography of Calvisius