The pace of chant
  • canadashcanadash
    This question was posed to me and I don't have the answers so I thought I would post the question here:

"If chant is sung speech and ought to be sung at the pace at which one speaks, then is all chant to be sung at the same pace? In particular, I'm wondering about Vespers vs. Adoration vs. Marian Antiphons vs. Propers. For example, given the nature of Adoration, would its chants be sung slower than that for Vespers? And what about the Marian Antiphons and Propers?

If you have good YouTube examples, then please suggest. Thank you!"
  • "If chant is sung speech and ought to be sung at the pace at which one speaks, then is all chant to be sung at the same pace?"

I find your assumption about pace to be faulty. To begin, we don't all speak at the same pace. Furthermore the emotional character of the text influences speed of expression. Highly syllabic melodies are not necessarily equivalent to those with one neume per syllable. Also, if one is determined to sing a particular phrase in one breath, the length of that phrase may demand a quicker pace.
  • Caleferink
    Another thing to factor in is the acoustics of the place in which you are singing. If you're singing in a very dry acoustic (little to no reverberation - wall-to-wall carpet, padded pews/chairs, small room) it may need to be done a touch more briskly to avoid sounding like you're just clomping through mud. Conversely, if you're singing in a very large and live acoustic (think BNSIC or another vast space with no carpet/padding) you may have to slow it down a bit for the sake of clarity.
  • canadashcanadash
    I think her question was more about whether certain types of chant (a Marian Antiphon for example) would be sung differently than the offertory proper.
  • Andrew_Malton
    We certainly sing the propers at different speeds, although perhaps not markedly different. The offertory is slower than the introit. The communion (which we sing with many psalm verses) is slower still, although the verses seem to speed up a bit!

I agree with what was said above, especially, as Randolph said, the more melismatic melodies are quite impossible to sing "at a speaking pace". But hymns, which are especially syllabic, seem to go faster.

And some melodies call for more vigor -- we will sing Gloria Laus et Honor next Sunday as we have in the past... metrically and at a pace that some find positively breathless. It works, though.

We sing in English, by the way.
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • When we say that chant is sung speech, some nuance needs to be offered. We do not always speak at the same pace or in the same manner, nor, because of the infinite variety of moods and intent by which our meaning in speech is conveyed, should we. Too, when speaking publicly, such as for a homily or an academic presentation, delivery is much more considered and deliberate than in normal conversational speech. If it were not, the hearers likely would have difficulty understanding and would, at any rate, very likely be unmoved, if not irritated.

It is this later, what I would call 'oratorical' speech with all its variety of delivery, that chant should imitate. We know, in fact, that there was a definite connexion between early chant and the oratory of the classical schools of rhetoric. Chant notation actually evolved from the rhetor's symbolic markings. The object is that chant not be an expressionless hum-drum delivery of a sequence of pitches to a sequence of vowels a la vocalise. Word accent, syllable accent, speech rhythm and dynamics are what one should wish to imitate for fluent, speech-like chant. This is the opposite of words as they are delivered in, for instance, a Bach aria, in which, while the word is of fundamental importance, it and the music are, arguably, equal partners. My own intuition is that the earliest chant was rather like cantillated rhetoric, with the generous influence of Syriac and Byzantine models.

Just as our speech varies according to what is said, where it is said, and how it is said, so it is with chant. There is no objective or standard 'chant tempo'. The text will reveal how it should be sung. If one's mind and musical faculties are not ablaze with the import of the text, he or she is not 'chanting' - for chanting is the artful delivery of textual message, story, and image to the hearers.
  • madorganist
    I know of choirs (and congregation) that sing the Ordinary and Proper at drastically different speeds. The Ordinary is sung quickly, even like a race to the finish, while the Proper is sung much more slowly, giving it at best a contrived "meditative" aesthetic or, at worst, a plodding quality. Chant should always flow, never plod. Use the tempo that seems natural for a Gloria as the baseline for other chants and work from there. This applies equally to Latin or the vernacular. Try speaking the Gloria text loudly and deliberately, at though you were proclaiming it in an amphitheater.

I must agree with the observations above: the tempo for chant varies according to whether it's syllabic, neumatic, or melismatic, whether its a scriptural text, hymn, or votive antiphon. If you've been to a real Romanesque church such as Speyer Cathedral, you know that there is a massive amount of reverb. That's the sort of acoustic Gregorian chant was written for. But I don't accept the notion that a larger church necessarily requires a slower tempo for chant or any other sort of music. The Solesmes books with metronome markings give a range of 132 to 160 for most chants, but some Eucharistic hymns are marked a bit slower - 116 for the Adoro te, for example.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Who are you singing for? Who are you singing with? Who is expected to sing with you? Where are you singing? Which liturgical act does your chant accompany? What type of chant are you singing? What is the textual character of the chant? What specific aspects of the chant are going to emphasize? Are you a chorister, cantor and/or conductor?

Some answers are purely practical, some are philosophical, some are based on tradition, and some are matters of personal artistic interpretation. As stated above, there is no single, standard tempo.
  • The metronome is to chant as is a plastic pot to a potted plant - death!
  • dad29
    My own intuition is that the earliest chant was rather like cantillated rhetoric

and

The text will reveal how it should be sung.

Bingo! Thus, the folks who "direct" Chant and know nothing about Latin other than the translation they've cadged from someplace....well...it shows, usually because the Chant becomes punch-punch-punchnotes in search of a phrase.
    Thanked by 1MichaelDickson
  • madorganist
    The metronome is to chant as is a plastic pot to a potted plant - death!

No one in his right mind would recommend performing chant with metronomic precision. The indications are there purely as guidelines to give a general sense of the tempo.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I agree with the gist of the remarks above. I would add (perhaps 'repeating in different words') that to say that chant is sung speech should not be taken to imply that the absolute pace of speech (even in all of its variation, as noted above) dictates the absolute pace of the singing. It is (to my mind) to say that the chant (both in its composition and in its execution) pays an appropriate respect to the text as it would be spoken. (I absolutely agree with dad that it is therefore important to be familiar with how it is reasonably well spoken!)

So, to take a simple example, to rush past an important word or syllable, or to call attention to an unimportant one, is, in general, not a good idea. One need not, however, 'mimic' the precise manner in which one dwells, or not, on a word of syllable in speech. Music has its own ways of accomplishing the same goals.

'Respect' (or lack of it) can be manifested in many aspects of the singing -- in rhythm, moments of emphasis, and indeed in all of the usual subtleties that make for great execution. Such subtleties appear in both singing and in speech. The former should be informed by the latter.

I think it is always a good idea to begin to learn a chant by learning to speak the words well, and then to notice what is happening when one does, and, finally, to think about whether and how the subtleties of emphasis, rhythm, pitch, timbre, and so forth might enter into a good execution of this particular chant.
  • Mons. Franz Xavier Haberl said over and over (and you can read in his books) “sing the words as you would otherwise speak them.” — “Sing as you speak”

However, toward the end of the 19th century a different school of thought arose, which basically said: “speech is speech; music is music.”

The second approach makes sense to me.
  • dad29
    Well, DD.....the rule has always been that the text is primary; or as Ratzinger put it, that music is the 'enfleshment' of the bones of text--or more commonly, the music illuminates the text.

All of which boils to this: if you do not understand the text, and sing that understanding, you are not singing Chant.
  • ... or that music is the handmaid of the text.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Mary Ann
  • dad29:

You'd have a hard time finding someone who would argue with you about either of those points.

At the same time, music remains music. Speech remains speech.

I've seen arguments for equating the two (like Haberl insisted). But I've also seen arguments that: Speech is speech, and music is music. This was a hot topic in the late 1890s.
  • Stravinsky wrote nothing for chorus and orchestra after Persephone, (1934); for reason: he had decided that music and language were incompatible and mutually exclusive arts. How unfortunate.
  • ronkrisman
    Stravinsky wrote a number of chorus and orchestra pieces after Persephone, perhaps most notably his Mass (1944–48) and Threni (1958).
  • Music remains music. Speech remains speech.

As stated, a tautology (thus universally agreed), and at this point in the conversation, I think we'd (at least, I'd) like to hear what, in concrete terms, is supposed to be the consequence of this observation. For example, is your position contrary to the one stated by several people above, namely, that one should find in the music appropriate ways to reflect the text as it would be excellently spoken? Is the position that you are suggesting that execution of chant be carried out without any musical reference to the spoken word?
  • Richard R.
    Psalm tone recitations should move more briskly (and that would apply to all recitation-like phrases). Otherwise, I know of no reason to change your basic tempo depending on the chant genre.

Obviously, melismatic chant will sound slower, and that's the point. For composers of chant, melismas were the principal means of slowing the tempo to encourage reflection. Certain genres are more melismatic than others (graduals, alleluia verses) precisely to encourage this reflection.

But for syllabic chant, a good rule is to sing the phrase at a tempo that allows you to reach a natural textual pause in one breath (irrespective of barlines, which are about musical phrases). You may find this requires a brisker pace than you are used to (and perhaps have heard elsewhere). But that sort of flow is the only thing that saves chant from inducing auditory torpor on your listeners (and, eventually, your singers).

If you need to spend more time rehearsing syllabic chants to achieve that flow, it is well worth it in the long run. Unfortunately, most schola directors do the opposite, sloughing off the "easy" pieces and spending their time on the melismatic ones. Notes are notes, whether they have text attached or not, and should be rehearsed with equal zeal.

As for your basic tempo, I think if you can get through one standard three-phrase verse (to the double bar) of a sequence, for instance, without breathing (noticeably) at the intermediate phrase markings (and with a degree of musicality and rhetorical grace), then you have achieved a good working chant tempo. Transferring that agility to, say, the Offertory Jubilate Deo, is a trick, and no mistake. But it is what distinguishes a good, musical, and prayerful schola.
  • CharlesW
    What may be closer to reality when singing chant - all purple follows:

The chant slows for the wheezy soprano whose lungs are shot. She needs to gasp for air every three notes - there should be a marking in chant for that.

The chant starts and stops late for the bass who never had any sense of timing and has gotten worse with age.

Then there's the tenor who loves to sing chant but isn't sure where he is or how he got there.

Of course, the SJW alto is trying to interpret the chant as an extension of her own loony take on the world.

Not to mention the poor director who is yanking at what little hair he has left while all this goes on.

Some days are like that.

• The chant slows for the wheezy soprano whose lungs are shot. She needs to gasp for air every three notes - there should be a marking in chant for that.

That's what the ictus is for.
  • "Ictus??! I thought that was a quarter bar!"
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Maybe if they just wrote "gasp" or "choke" above the staff, that would work.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • Thanks for the correction, Fr Krisman.
    You are correct. I know, though, that I read somewhere many years ago that Stravinsky had expressed those notions about music versus language. A little reflection would have resulted in a perspective more true.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Richard : five paragraphs packed with useful advice grounded in real experience. Great thanks!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In addition to Stravinsky's Mass and Threni, I would add Canticum Sacrum (1955) and the cantata A Sermon, a Narrative and a Prayer (1961).
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I shake my head in sad wonder that so few seem to remember the Requiem Canticles. ;-)
  • Prokofiev is said to have said that Stravinsky is Bach with all the wrong notes.
    Is this praise or not?
    I think that it was meant to be the former.
    One of the most fascinating things about Stravinsky is the impeccable, almost mystical, cleanliness of his writing.
    In this he is certainly like Bach.
    Pure Intelligence.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Liam
  • dad29
    needs to gasp for air every three notes

Pfffft. At one parish of my acquaintance, the music director-ette thinks that breath is REQUIRED after 3-4 notes, with singers not older than 40, and not a smoker among them.

I can sympathize with your old lady. She has an excuse.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • MarkS
    Since it's come up, I will add a plug for one of my favorites, the Stravinsky cantata on old English texts of 1952, which we will be performing next winter:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cORBsM6ShWs&t=633s
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Carol
    A LONG time ago I was involved with a prayer group that sang "praise songs" as part of their prayer meeting. There were long spaces for breaths after only a few notes in one hymn which we sang often. My brother referred to the group as the "Asthmatic Charismatics."
    Thanked by 2eft94530 CHGiffen
  • Mary Ann
    Re chant pace/tempo: The favorite expression of my Dad's (schola director in the 1950's) was, "Sing chant as though you are wearing ballet slippers rather than combat boots." Our current schola members hear this same expression. And often.
    Thanked by 3canadash CHGiffen Carol
  • One young man who directed a seminary schola said that one might picture the pace/tempo of the chant as smoke arising from a cigarette in an ashtray: languidly it curls and rises. Or again, Let my prayer rise like incense before You...
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Carol
  • The Marlboro Man approach to Chant!
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    one might picture the pace/tempo of the chant as smoke arising from a cigarette

Four more days four more days four more days . . .
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    From Richard R.: "Psalm tone recitations should move more briskly (and that would apply to all recitation-like phrases). Otherwise, I know of no reason to change your basic tempo depending on the chant genre. "

I sing the texts to Psalm tones in more of a speaking rhythm than anything else. And I include a bit of ritard at the end of each phrase. I'm afraid that "more briskly" could lead to rushing through the majority of the line, tripping over consonants and ignoring accented syllables, much less the duple-triple feelings, then slowing at the end almost into metered. This would remind many of the "Anglican Thump" in Anglican chant - the way most Anglicans have moved away from in the last 50 years.

In Latin or English, I believe it's important for people to hear in order to understand. Every syllable has a reason to be there - for example, the word "veniat" in the Pater noster: it should be ve-ni-at rather than ven-yat.
  • a_f_hawkins
    For those of us whose ears are showing signs of age, making each word distinct* is important. Most readers, chanters and celebrants seem to find it difficult to achieve. I am fortunate that our parish priest does it throughout the liturgy.
    * As in "making^each^word^distinct" and not "makin^geachwor^distinct"
    Thanked by 2Liam Mary Ann
  • Steve and Mr Hawkins both have hit upon the bette noir of good chant, or good singing to any genre. Whilst we stress a 'speech-like' rhythm we want, at all costs, to avoid dropping short syllables, little prepositions, and articles as we do in ordinary speech. If anything, these short syllables, little prepositions, and articles need to be slightly (very slightly) exaggerated for an elegant and seemly delivery.

In ordinary speech Mr Hawkins' last sentence would come out something like 'Am-forchnit-thadarpershpreess-duzi-throoowdthuhday'. Somehow (somehow) in normal conversation such elocution is understood. Not all peoples', but many's, speech sounds like that.

Actually, while chanting (or singing anything) vowels must be resonantly shaped and consonants must be crisply formed and delivered. Vowels which begin words need to be given a clear gutteral enunciation and never be slid into. Every 'and' and 'it', etc., must be distinctly pronounced more than it would be in normal speech. When the last syllable of a word is a vowel (or a consonant) and the first syllable of the next word is a vowel (or a consonant), both vowels (or consonants) should be clearly delivered and not run together. Time must be taken for tongue and throat to do their jobs, and do them eloquently. If a person doesn't feel that he or she is taking far too long in his or her delivery, then he or she is going far too fast. Every last letter and every last syllable is to be pronounced as a sacred gem of speech offered to the Most High. Diction is everything - it is equal to (maybe even a bit more equal than) the right notes. (And... all still has to sound 'normal'.)

Indeed, it is the work of a cantor, a chorister, a singer, a lector, et al., to make music out of excruciatingly elegant diction - and to make it sound 'normal'.
    Thanked by 2Mary Ann CHGiffen
  • dad29
    would come out something like 'Am-forchnit-thadarpershpreess-duzi-throoowdthuhday'

We've heard that you Southerners have serious speech impediments, and we will pray for you.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    If a person doesn't feel that he or she is taking far too long in his or her delivery, then he or she is going far too fast.

This is also the advice I was given by a priest the first time I was a lector.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • We've heard...

Kindly refrain from including me in your 'you Southerners'.
    I've seen bumper stickers that say 'I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could'.
    If (which will never happen) I had a bumper sticker it might read 'I was dragged here when I was seven and have been trying to get out ever since'.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen MarkS
  • dad29
    Oh, my.

Well, then. Think of 'temporal punishment for our sins,' which is apparently your lot. Purgatory will be shorter!!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CharlesW
    I suspect Texas is as good a place as many, although I would find it a bit too warm at times. I have met some genuinely devout Catholics from Texas.

Now Jackson, I am sure you could leave any time you choose. But you will have to figure out if that delegation seeing you off is there to wish you a fond farewell, or enjoy seeing you go. LOL.