Litany of Saints for Confirmation
  • donr
    Every year I do the Litany of Saints for the entrance procession for confirmation.
    I was wondering if there are any regulations of what saints names must be in the Litany, or if any saints names or other parts may be excluded for time sake.
    Example: I would like to wrap up the Litany as the Bishop enters the Sanctuary so we can do the Entrance Antiphon while he incenses the altar. We have fewer than normal confirmandi so the procession will be very short this year.
  • Paul Ford has posted on this a few times—the biggest thing I consider is to sort the Saints into the correct order in the Litany based on rank and date of death. I believe that if the saint is in the official directory of saints, it would be fine to include it.
  • donr
    I guess I'm more looking to remove saints not to add them. Is it permissible to remove some of the saints or is that a big no, no.
    I would never do that for the Easter Vigil but for confirmation, ?
  • I'm sorry—I misread that. When I did a Litany and had to end it early (it accompanied the procession to the church for Penance services), we would jump from wherever we were right to "All holy men and women..."
    Thanked by 1donr
  • donr
    thanks
  • donr
    One more question. Does one do the Kyrie and Christe during the procession? It doesn't seem proper to do it, then do it again during the penitential rite.
  • donr
    thanks Liam, It does say that we are not allowed to delete any in the rites. I will contact Paul directly.