Ravanello Pascha nostrum with Anglican chant
  • Back in 2013 I transcribed this Easter Communio motet from the Secunda Anthologia and then attached an Anglican chant to it to use with the verses. We ended up not using the verses in Anglican chant but in the original Communio.

My question is this: does anyone recognize this particular Anglican chant? I neglected to make notes to myself, and I am trying to figure out if I created this chant or found it somewhere, as I do not want to claim credit for something I did not create!

I know that I have (somewhere; we moved last summer and many, many of my books have not been unpacked) a book that has an identification directory of Anglican chants by incipit, but I do not have the time to root it out.

Thanks in advance to anyone who sees this and can shed some light on it!
    Patricia
  • I think this chant is of your own creation. The cadences don't follow the usual pattern of Anglican Chant. And, I don't recognize it (and I would if it were published elsewhere).
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia
  • This is not an Anglican chant.
    The first two chords are identical to the J. Turle chant found at no. 697 in The Hymnal 1940, paired with Psalm 130 for Burial of the Dead. (Though this chant was fashioned by Turle after Purcell, I have yet to determine just what Purcell was his inspiration.)
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia
  • Thank you both, and Jackson, thank you for joining me in the inability to figure out just from whence Turle drew his Purcell! (I have to confess, I was looking 30 years ago when my work at that time had me much more familiar with Purcell and have not looked lately!)